Story contest

A place to pull up a stool, drink an ale, and share your sagas with fellow patrons. (Roleplay Forum - In Character Only)
Forum rules
This forum is strictly for in-game RP and storyline related info. For more general discussion, please post in General Discussion or Other, as appropriate.
Seramir

Story contest

Post by Seramir »

I see we've gotten a few more patrons in here. Gather round, everyone, because I have a proposition for all of you hearty adventurers. Bartender, pour a round on me.

You see, I fashion myself a storyteller. Oh, I know I'm not a very good one. I've had my fair share of adventures, but when it comes to telling about them, I fall a bit short. I've never quite had that flair for drama that a good bard needs. So I search the land for stories from the true masters of our language.

Any of you could have the story I'm looking for. The prize of my collection, the tale that makes men's souls ache or that lift their hearts to new heights. So tell me your stories, all you gathered round.

I'll make it worth your while. While I'm a good-for-nothing rogue myself, my sister has taken up the mining craft, and owes me a favor or two. So I'll give 2000 iron ingots to whoever can give me the best story. Impress me, lads and ladies. I'm all ears.

OOC: The details

- Post your entries in this thread by Sunday, April 6, 11:59 pm EST.

- Any length, any subject, just make it interesting

- The story I like best gets 2k iron ingots

Good luck!

Timothy

Re: Story contest

Post by Timothy »

The Lich Lord In the Britain Graveyard!

Aye, This be a true story! It was a wet and foggy night when a young man came running into The Blue Boar. He was bleeding from his eyes and ears. the blood pooled around him as he feel to his knees and and stumbled out one 2 words....Lich....Graveyard! He then fell over Dead.... and turned into a white husk.
All the patrons of the Blue Boar were shocked and scared. whispers went around about what to do. They all agreed that Lord British needed to be told of this bad news. the town elders went to the Great Lord and told him of this evil news. "A Lich in Britian's Graveyard?!. Not on my Watch!" said Lord British. "summon my armor & Get me my Pure Silver sword. Wake the commader of the Castle Guard!" The Commander of the Guard named The honerable timothy, Came quickly to the kings side.
Off they rode to the grav :twisted: eyard to vanquish this evil lich. After entering the graveyard theygot chills up and down there spines. Soon they came across the stench and cropses of the dead towns people the lich had been feeding on. It was an awful smell. that smelly smell. The kind of smell you smell when something smells.
As they rode past the corpses they started to twitch a little. then more and soon they where up and walking. Both the comander and the king yelled "Zombies!" "this is no ordinary lich. only a lich lord can wake this many dead" said Timothy. "a Lich Lord eh?" "I'm glade I have this pure silver sword!" said the king. For only the pureist of silver can kill a Lich Loard.
The Zombies were Every where, But they where slow and no match for the two on horse back. As the king and the Commander Rode past slashing and lopping off heads a Great Flame appeared in there way. There in the middle of the road was the Lich Loard! He was Horable to look apone, and the evil rolled off him like water roles down hill!
"You...Are tresspessing on my unholy grounds...I will Make you part of my Undead army" he said in a horrable booming voice!
"I think not" Said the King. "aye, we shall send thee back to wich you came...Hell!" Said the Commander.
They then clashed with the Lich Lord with mighy war crys! The Lich Lord raised his hand and a bolt of lighting shot from it and hit the Great King, Knocking him off his horse and sending his Pure Silver Sword flying. The Commander got a hit in on the lich but hardly did any damge to him. As he circled around to check the kings statous, he rembered the kings words about only the purist of silver swords can kill a Lich Lord. That was it, he need the pure silver sword to kill him.
The king was hurt badly. He looked as if he had been burnt buy the sun its self. The king cryed out with all his strength he had left in him "Timothy Get my Silver sword and thrust it into the lich, for I am to weak to go on." Commander Timothy Grabed the hilt of the Pure Silver sword and rode toward the lich at high speed. The Lich Lord again raised his hand and and this time a great magic arrow flew from it. It came straigh and true but Timothy Was able to turn and use his horse to shield himself from the arrow. The Arrow Hit the Horse dead on in the Front of the neck! Blood Pured out from the wound. The horse was moving at top speed when it was hit with the arrow and Timothy Went Flying through the air and so didthe sword wich pierced the lich in the face witha hugh slicing sound. The Lich Lord shreeeicked and howled and then burst into a ball of flammesand droped to the ground. The Lich Lord had been Killed.
Timothy it seemed, had a worse fate then the King. As he was Ejchted from his horse buy the Lich Lords Magic Arrow, His Body hit a Ganite Stone. There was a loud snap!, and he fell to the ground. The king Raced to him, But it was to late....The commander of the kings Guard Was Dead from a shattered body.
The King placed the body on the comanders horse and Grabed the Pure Silver Sword out of the lichs burning ashs. "oooowhh" The King Yelped! The Silver Sword burned the king and left his right hand badly disfigured with the Markings of The Hilt. On the hilt it read "Pure Silver .999 %"
As the sword cooled he grabed it and Returned to the castle with both the body and the Pure Silver sword. The poeple of Britain were Greatful for the sacrfice the Commander gave but where also sorry to see him go.
Even today they saythe king has his Pure Silver sword wich killed the lich that killed his best guard, in his room. Also it is said that when the moon is 3/4 full you can see the ghost of Commander Timothy Wandering the Castle as a Ghost still trying to protect the King From the Evil Lich Lord..... :twisted:

Written By GodFather

Seramir

Post by Seramir »

A fine story, my friend! Lord British truly has the noblest guards around... that why you don't see me trying to sneak into his castle!

The contest ends in 3 hours! Last chance to enter your stories!

Seramir

Post by Seramir »

Congratulations, Timothy! Your story is the winner! As promised, I'll deliver the iron ingots I mentioned. Thanks for your stirring tale! (OOC: PM me with your character name and a meetup time that works for you.)

Sounds like there aren't many out there interested in a story these days... I may be out of a job before long.

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

T'was a great story GodFather, and congradulations!

Aye Seramir I was disappointed in the response as well, however it may be hard for many to recount the terror that they've witnessed in the lands of Britainia. Evil shows no mercy to those who stumble innocently upon it.

silex
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by silex »

I'm not a roleplayer, so if this doesn't fit, please feel free to remove. It is a UO story, though:

I met Particle ages ago in 5th grade. Since then, we've stayed in excellent communication throughout middle school, high school, college, and beyond. We still play MMOs and multiplayer games together. UO was no exception.

Particle somehow lucked out and obtained some prime real estate for his house early on in the game on the Europa server. It was just outside of Britain and had adventurers, hunters, and explorers running by all the time. Big traffic meant potentially big profits from his NPC merchants and he often couldn't keep his vendor stocked. People constantly paid ridiculous prices for junk - it was hilarious.

While summoning water elementals in order to raise his Magery skill from the safety of his house one day, Particle noticed a small band of new adventurers. You know the kind. There was the mage - complete with starter robes and barely enough reagants to cast ten spells. Then there was the fighter - equipped with an orc helm he found lying in the gutters of Britain's streets and a katana he spent his life savings on. And finally there was the archer, who actually had a decent magic crossbow but obviously nowhere near the skills to use it correctly.

This horrific band of heroes was "adventuring" just beside Particle's house. Through the walls of his home, he could almost hear their cheers as the three of them combined their strength in order to defeat a little rabbit.

Enough of this - time for some mischief. While our Band of Heroes ran off to do glorius battle with another rodent-based adversary, Particle summoned a Water Elemental and commanded it to follow him. He ran up to the Heroes and yelled out, "Help, this monster is after me! Help!" The poor water elemental was struggling to keep up with Particle and it just appeared on screen, eager to return to it's master's side. At the time, high end pets still showed up with red names. Well, any random newb of course wouldn't notice the difference between a pet and and an aggressive monster. So our heroes launched their attack to defend the fair Particle!

"In Por Ylem!", chanted the mage in order to cast Magic Arrow. The arrow thumped into the Water Elemental and dissapeared, appearing to have no noticable effect. Well, except to enrage the beast. The Water Elemental cleaved the mage in two. *BLAAAARGH* and the mage keeled over.

The fighter lept to the attack, brandishing his holy katana against the monster. *Wiff* *Wiff* *Wiff* *Wiff* The Water Elemental was taller than a house, but the fighter still couldn't land a hit. After dispatching the mage, the Elemental turned on the fighter, quickly putting him out of his misery. The cursed orc helm didn't seem to help at all.

The archer, seemingly the smartest of the bunch, had held off on attacking the monster at first. But seeing his comrades fall, he too jumped in. He fired a crossbow bolt at the monster and watched as it harmlessly careened off into the forest. He knew then that he had made a fatal mistake. He turned and ran, but the Elemental was in hot pursuit. One of UO's flaws was how connection speed was directionally proportional to how fast you could run. Between the East Forest's entangling underbrush and the archer's incredibly uber 14K modem, his attempt to flee was tragically cut short. The Elemental quickly caught up and bashed his skull in.

Particle, laughing hysterically, gathered all the loot off of the corpses and put it up for sale on his vendor before returning to magery training. Moments later, the Band of Heroes returned, fresh from the bank. They approached Particle's vendor and - as the fighter equipped a freshly purchased orc helm and katana, and the archer equipped a magic crossbow - all he could do was laugh.