Crimson Nytefall's Incarceration and Subsequent Escape (RP)

A place to pull up a stool, drink an ale, and share your sagas with fellow patrons. (Roleplay Forum - In Character Only)
Forum rules
This forum is strictly for in-game RP and storyline related info. For more general discussion, please post in General Discussion or Other, as appropriate.
Crimson

Crimson Nytefall's Incarceration and Subsequent Escape (RP)

Post by Crimson »

*[Author's Note]*
I kind of rushed this one, but I really wanted to get something out there that kind of describes how Crimson got to where she is right now. It's not great, but it's something. I don't mind any constructive criticism, but I ask you please to refrain from trash-talking. We get enough of it in-game, and this is just something I'm having fun with. For those of us who are experienced roleplayers, you know how it is to have to have a background to support your character.

:) Thank you and happy reading.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The first night Crimson Nytefall spent in the Yew jail was probably the worst night

of her life. Beaten and left in a scum-sodden cell, with no light save for the

torchlight that came through the bottom of the large steel door, and no windows on

any of the walls, Crimson felt that the world and all its compassionate deities had

abandoned her to a terrible fate.

Hurt, and too weak to move, she lay there on the cold stone floor, struggling to

breath. She knew she had at least one cracked rib, and her lip was split. What

little clothing she had left, was torn and dirty and was no protection against the

cold that seeped from the stone floors.

The guards who brought her here had a personal grudge against her, and at first she

was entirely clueless as to why this was.

Clanking in their platemail armor as they dragged her down the cold corridor to her

cell, they handled her roughly, slamming her against walls whenever it was

convenient.

"'e was my friend, ye bitch," one grunted at her. "Saved me life on several

accounts in the siege Trinsic. Thou shalt starve to death and rot in this cell, be

sure of that, fiend."

Too hurt to respond, with her bare feet scraping painfully on the stone gorund,

Crimson only hung between them limply.

The other guard grunted an agreement. "She was a fool to even trespass into his

lord's estate, let alone draw a blade on him and poor Mona when she was asleep." He

stopped, and suddenly kicked her in the side, re-angered by the thought after he

finished speaking. "You bitch!" He grabbed her by the hair, yanked her head up and

spit in her face.

Soon after, she was beaten and then found herself in the cell.

Apparently she had murdered and robbed the wrong man and woman, important people,

some sort of noble lord and lady, and now she was going to pay for it with her

life. Naturally, a sense of regret, combined with anger at herself for making such

a rash mistake, came to her at the thought.

After awhile of lying there, she fell asleep.

A dream came to her then, a strange one. She was running through a dark forest at

night. Something was chasing her, but whether it was man or beast she wasn't

certain. On and on she went, breathing hard as though she had been running for a

long period of time. When she turned to look back at her pursuer, she tripped on

something and fell hard to the ground. Panic swept through her as she struggled to

get back on her feet.

Suddenly, a figure was before her, draped in red silk. A young woman, with frosty-

white hair, yet with the face of beautiful girl nearly out of her adolescence,

stood before Crimson, smiling calmly as she peered down. The young woman came close

and held out a hand, helping Crimson to her feet. That feeling of being pursued

evaporated, leaving Crimson only relieved, yet confused.

"You must concentrate hard, friend," the white-haired girl said in a soft, silvery

voice. "You bear the gift, as do many of us, but you haven't realized it yet." She

came forward and gently planted her lips against Crimson's forehead, leaving a

gentle kiss there. The spot tingled warmly, and suddenly Crimson felt as though a

sort of inner barrier was lifted, as though some sort of weight on her chest had

been alleviated.

Then, the white-haired youth whispered a series of strange words into Crimson's

ear, drawing back with a smile afterwards.

"Use these words to quell your suffering," she said. "Have patience, and we shall

meet in time."

Crimson knew nothing but blackness after that, but when she awoke, the pain was

renewed. Every part of her body HURT. She tried to sit up, but her left side jolted

with pain, causing her to cry out. A broken rib, perhaps?

Then she remembered the dream, and the strange girl's even stranger words. She

repeated them aloud, confused.

Warmth surged through her as a strange, new sensation in her body and quite

suddenly the pain began to subside. She spoke the words again, and the warmth came

and went again, leaving no pain whatsoever in her body. She stood up, completely

bewildered and awestruck. She felt no pain in her ribs and when she studied her

arms and legs in the meager light from beneath the door, she found no bruises,

scrapes or cuts.

Amazed, Crimson pondered this for a moment. The dream had not been a normal dream,

but instead a message of some sort from the strange girl. Who was she, and why

would she help a thief, liar and above all, a murderer?

Above it all, the fact that Crimson had just miraculously healed her wounds was

evidence that she, in fact, possessed the necessary gifts to manipulate magic. She

had met many mages, and seen the many spells they could conjure with but a few

simple ingredients and a spoken phrase from ancient texts.

This was definitely welcome news. Hope kindled itself within her.

The day (or was it night?) went on without any occurances, and as the guards had

promised, no food was brought to her cell. She had studied the small chamber,

discovering a straw covered sleeping mat and a small pot from which a horrendous

odor emanated from. Other than that, it was a bare cell, cold and lifeless. A

frightful thought.

After a few hours of pacing, Crimson's stomach began to grumble audibly as hunger

overtook her fears and concerns. She tried to ignore the constant nagging of her

insides, and found herself lying on the mat after awhile, thinking of all the types

of foods she had plundered after murdering and robbing her victims.

At some point, she fell asleep, and once more the strange white-haired girl

returned for a follow-up visit in Crimson's dreams. This time, it was in her cell.

"Seems I cannot escape, even in my dreams," Crimson spoke. Her voice was strange

and distant sounding.

The young woman smiled. "With time, good things come," she said. "I trust you have

the necessary amount of patience."

"I've not a choice, wouldst thou agree?"

"Aye, this is true. Fear not, your time here is temporary." In this strange dream-

world, the girl sat against a wall, criss-crossing her legs as she smiled at

Crimson. Crimson followed suit and sat against a wall opposite of her dream

visitor.

"Why art thou helping me, stranger?" Crimson asked. "Ye must know of my many

devious deeds. Why dost thou think I am locked up in this hole? Not for false

reasons, I daresay."

"I care not for your crimes," the girl replied. "I see potential in you. There's

power to be harnessed, and you have the abilities. Besides, the lord and lady you

killed were corrupt. Many serfs and peasants died mercilessly because of their

greed. Killing to survive, such as you do, is one thing, but wholesale slaughter of

defenseless people that are suffering already... That is different."

Crimson thought about it. "I s'pose I see the logic in that. But still, why me?

What is it that ye seek from me?"

"As I said, you have abilities that can be honed and sharpened. I know people that

are looking for more people of distinct abilities to swell their ranks. I believe

it's a good opportunity for you, as well as these people that I know."

"People.. for what?" Crimson asked skeptically.

"For a mercenary group that gathers those in unfortunate positions such as yours.

In turn for your freedom, I ask that you join the ranks of this group. Not only

will you get freedom, but you will learn to hone these newfound skills I have

unlocked for you and also attain some financial compensation."

Crimson remembered the kiss on the forehead from the dream the night before, and

strange sensation that followed.

"Thou hast unlocked...magic within me?"

"You always had the key, I just used it to unlock the doors to your power with a

bit of stimulus. You should be more able to recognize the magic in the world around

you. You'll be better able to sense it and mold it. But alas, I fear my energy runs

low, and I must leave you for now. But remember these words, for they will bring

you satiation in your suffering. Remember my name, for we will meet again, Crimson.

I am Moriana Firesong, of the Firesong family. Farewell, for now."

When Crimson awoke, hunger consumed her. Immediately, she spoke the words Moriana

had supplied her with, and that sensation of warmth tickled her face and suddenly a

fat ham dropped to the ground in front of her. Once more amazed, Crimson launched

herself on it and began to ravenously tear into the meat.

A little while later, she lay back against the wall, smiling to herself. She had

finished half the ham and it had tasted like the best meal she had ever eaten in

her life. Silently, she thanked Moriana for this gift and for helping her survive

this ordeal.

A few nights passed, but Moriana failed to visit Crimson in her dreams. Worried,

Crimson paced her cell incessantly, on the verge of panic, unable to sleep.

What had happened to her? Hopefully nothing bad.

Finally, after a few hours, Crimson lied down and eventually drifted off to sleep.

She found herself dreaming of snow, but as she tromped through it, barefoot, she

felt no cold. Ahead, Moriana was walking towards her with a wave.

"I thought a change of scenery would be welcome," she said with that same soft

smile she always wore.

"Indeed, friend," Crimson grinned. "I welcome the sight of the great outdoors, and

thank thee many times over for such wonderful gifts!"

"Do not mention it. Come, let us walk and talk."

Together they walked through a thin forest, their footprints trailing out behind

them in the sparkling snow. In Yew, Crimson knew it was the nearly summertime,

leaving her confused as to where they were. Either way, it did not matter. Being

out of the the dark, dismal cell was more than she could wish for.

"Forgive my brashness, but what happened to thee in thy absence? I was concerned,

even worried."

"Your concern is touching," Moriana said as she leapt over a log, the snow

crunching beneath her boots. "I was actually attending to other matters. I had to

help another individual. She managed to get herself in a bad situation with some

pirates. She actually swam several miles before I had to rescue her from a rogue

dire wolf." She paused to watch an owl fly by. "Plus, managing these dream spells

are quite taxing on my supplies, as well as my energies."

Crimson nodded. "I see. That explains much. I feared that thou had abandoned me to

a lifetime of incarceration."

"Yes, well, I will confess that you will be spending a bit of time in confined in

your cell, but with time, patience and diligence, we shall earn your freedom."

Crimson sighed. "Very well."

Together they walked and spoke for several hours, Moriana explaining details and

concepts about magic and Crimson asking questions.

By the time Moriana was forced to end the vision, Crimson knew a great deal more

than when she went to sleep.

And strangely, despite the hours that passed while she spent time with Moriana,

Crimson always woke up feeling refreshed.

Time passed like this for awhile. Every so often Moriana would disappear for a

night or two so that she could recover from the efforts of upholding such a spell.

Apparently, the guards were true in their word. Either they forgot about her, or

they were waiting for her to starve to death before they retrieved her body for the

next unfortunate criminal that happened to cross the wrong people in power.

After several weeks, however, a guard came to the cell, astonished to find Crimson

still alive and well within. Crimson stood defiantly and stared him dead in the

eyes.

"I hope those rats have been tasty, ye vile slut." He backhand her hard then

snatched her up. "Time to move to a new cell, with no rat-holes for thee to find

some snacks, eh?" He manhandled her, slamming her against the wall as he forced her

down the hall. Once, she swung a fist and caught him in the jaw, his rough whiskers

scratching her knuckles. His head barely moved as he laughed aloud at her feeble

attempt. Then, with a well-aimed punch, he hit her in the stomach and slung her

over his shoulder.

Though in pain, Crimson smiled to herself at the guard's false guess regarding her

survival.

The next cell was much the same as the last and once more, time passed.

Months passed much like this, with Crimson getting beaten every week or two, and

then getting transferred to a new cell. The guards went crazy trying to figure out

how she was surviving without any food or water.

Every few nights, Moriana and Crimson communed, with Moriana teaching her more and

more of the ways of magic lore. Every night was the same routine: eat, exercise to

keep in shape, meditate, then sleep and commune with Moriana. Time and patience

soon paid off, as he skills in the arcane arts developed.

Eventually there came a night when Crimson was able to magically unlock her cell's

door.

When she peeked out into the corridor, she glanced both ways. To the right, the

corridor ended, but to the left it ran down a long way, with cells on either side.

At the end, there was more torchlight and she could see someone's armored legs

propped up on a chair--a guard.

Silently, she went up to him in a low crouch, her footfalls silent because of her

bare feet. Reading a book in the torchlight, this was the guard that moved her from

the first cell.

Narrowing her eyes, she slowly reached out to the sword attached to his belt. When

her fingers snaked around the hilt, she quickly jerked it out, causing him to jolt

with surprise. But before he could stand or react, Crimson shoved the blade into

the seperation of armor in the guard's side. Metal went through flesh and ribs,

impaling him from the side. He let out a gasp, then went limp as blood began to

spill down the blade towards the handle.

She pulled the sword from the corpse and glanced around. Against the wall was a

large, poled axe---a halberd. Intrigued, she dropped the sword and grasped the

halberd in both hands, lifting it to test the weight. She swung it once, the blade

swooshing through the air, and decided she liked it.

She ran down the corridor once more, with a corner coming up ahead. As she turned

the corner, a guard suited in platemail armor looked up from a set of parchments in

his hands, pausing as he saw her. With a cry, he dropped the parchments and yanked

his sword from its sheath at his hip.

Crimson timed it just right and side-stepped his chop. With a hefty swing, she

buried the halberd blade into his chest. It ate through the armor and his chest.

With a foot, she shoved his body as she pulled the axe from his chest. The guard

dropped to the ground, lifeless.

On and on, Crimson ran, until she came to a window. A glance told her that it was

night outside, and the thought of being outdoors was tantalizing.

Finally, Crimson came to the door that led to the court-room, and soon after, would

lead to freedom. But as she entered the large courtroom, there were several guards

awaiting her there, lounging idly. Of course, when they saw her, they all leapt to

their feet, weapons in hand.

Crimson dropped the axe with a loud clang and recalled one of her last visits with

Moriana in the dream world. A spell came to mind, though if she had the ability to

cast it, she wasn't certain.

Whispering arcane words beneath her breath, Crimson felt a sudden fatigue drop over

her. Focusing, she targeted the series of guards, and quite suddenly a burst of

fire erupted among them. Screams of agony filled the court room as the last guard

came running at Crimson, blade and shield in hands.

Crimson quickly swept up the halberd, balancing on the balls of her feet, as she

braced herself for the initial attack. She watched his torso area, watching his

hands, and preparing for the attack. He swung his broad sword in a diagnol slice at

her shoulder, but she nimbly stepped back and bringing the blade of the halberd up

to meet the steel bite. Using her agility over his brute strength, Crimson slid

down and around him, using the halberd to slice the vulnerable seperation of armor

at his hip. The guard cried out as she ducked under his reach, smoothly bringing

the axe around with her as she turned to stand behind him. She took one step back

to have room to swing as the guard dropped to one knee in utter pain. As she lifted

the halberd, he glanced up at her in terror.

The expression stayed on his face as his head fell from his shoulders.

Crimson glanced around, finding three dead guards burned to a crisp, and one dead

guard beheaded. Wasting no time, she bolted out the doors into the night-time air,

taking a deep breath. She savored the moment, closing her eyes as she breathed in

the freshness of the nearby forest.

Fearing capture and failure, Crimson ran into the forest, halberd held at her side.

The rocks and twigs of the forest floor bit into her feet as she hopped over logs

and ducked under branches.

When she came upon a small clearing in the forest, she found Moriana waiting for

her atop a large white horse, draped in a red silk dress. A pointed wizard's hat

covered her mane of frosty-white hair, and that ever-present smile blessed her

lips. Pleasant to look at, Crimson knew that this person possessed a power not

evident by her gentle--although somewhat strange--appearance. Beside her was

another horse, a chestnut steed.

"I am overjoyed to see that our work has payed off, my friend," Moriana said as she

urged her horse towards Crimson. "I brought you a gift." She gestured at the horse.

"Her name is Molly."

"Many thanks, Moriana Firesong," Crimson replied as she mounted up. She looked at

Moriana solemnly. "I cannot thank thee enough for all that thou hast done for me...

I would be dead were it not for thy patience and generosity." She extended a hand,

which Moriana met, and they grasped one another for a moment.

"I am loyal to thee, Moriana Firesong, and I will not forget this moment for the

remainder of my days."

Moriana smiled and released Crimson's wrist. With a nod, she began to ride slowly

to the north, Crimson soon following.

"Come," Moriana said, "we have much to discuss..."

Safir
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Re: Crimson Nytefall's Incarceration and Subsequent Escape (RP)

Post by Safir »

I didn't have a chance to read this until now, but I kept it in mind, and now when I had the time I read it and I'm glad I did. Good stuff! I liked how the previous story (written by Quinn) was tied into this one with just a few sentences. I wanted to keep readin'... Write moar dammit! haha ;)

BlackFoot
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: Crimson Nytefall's Incarceration and Subsequent Escape (RP)

Post by BlackFoot »

I will also be adding your entries to the museum library if that is ok.
<IronfistMax> tell me where you are in game, and ill come thank you personally
Mad_Max: blackfoot you sent everyone to a slaughter
<Derrick> We will not negotiate with terrorists.
UOSA Society of Adventure and History [UoH]