Voting for UOSA (2016 Update)

News and Announcements
Grom

Re: Publicizing the Server and helping players find us

Post by Grom »

if possible it should be re-posted, don't know why on earth they removed it from their other games section (that is the section to talk about other games, right?) I know quite a few people who found interest in this shard off the MO boards.

Incidium

Post by Incidium »

I found this server through google, and i am very happy to be here!

anon1

Post by anon1 »

FYI you guys have been gettin a lot of play on Reddit.com lately.

I checked you guys out b/c in their UO thread a couple days ago they recommended this place

http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments ... odern_mmos

This thread.

Myg

Post by Myg »

This shard needs a way of getting to the younger crowd looking to spend their time after school + homework.

Thats the most important thing, to get new; real: Fresh blood into the game; We need to rely on word of mouth and contacts otherwise to get the old players back, which will provide a backbone and core for the growth when the really new guys join up.

Looking around the forums a bit, it seems the previous Larger Guilds still have maintained some level of connectivity between members, so; about 10% of the previous players who were part of the big guilds will return eventually. The biggest problem with that is that they will slowly return over time and not come back in big groups (which is what the shard needs). We need large groups returning as a whole, not a trickle; otherwise the catchment rate will be lower.

All mediums of communication (like youtube) need a presense of and a reference to this Shard.

As well, we should not look upon this shard as just a shard or as UO "used to be", but as the game was and is as it should be. This IS UO, anything else is not it.

Skeletile

Post by Skeletile »

Alright, I've been playing on this server for two day's now, I was referred to here from Reddit and this is my first time playing UO, let me give you some insight on how a new player see's your server:

First time you load up the client: Where's the registration button? Do I have to create an account on the website or something? Another player just asked this on IRC, imagine how many players just give up at this point? If you can modify the client to state that you the login screen also functions as a registration great, otherwise somewhere in the FAQ's or newbies client would be nice.

Also, you've got rid of young status, I can understand that your mainly targeting existing players of UO but if you want your shard to remain alive you need to allow for new players, this includes offering a basic tutorial in how the game is played. Also, alot of the help both in game and on the website is either outdated or inaccurate, its better offering a basic outline then offering a detailed tutorial that no longer is applicable. You also have to make players aware that alot of the websites(stractics for example) don't apply to this server.

Interacting with other players so far has been decent, direct interaction with players has been positive, but I have been killed a few times while macroing provo at Britain stables, but I guess that is to be expected. The folks in IRC have been very helpful.

TL;DR There are a number of different ways you can help to encourage new players into UO, if this advice is useful to anyone feel free to contact me and I will try to point out some other ways in which you can help new players. I realise I might come over aggressive but I'm just trying to offer some insight.

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

Skeletile wrote:Alright, I've been playing on this server for two day's now, I was referred to here from Reddit and this is my first time playing UO, let me give you some insight on how a new player see's your server:
Thanks very much for this; and welcome to Second Age!

I understand it's a daunting and confusing process from the beginning right through for new players. One of the biggest issues is of course the interface itself. Good point on the account creation too.

I've always dreamed of recreating the UO Demo in an online form. It was an offline tutorial that was packaged int the original CD in 1998, teaching a player how to interact with the world etc. I don't know when I'm going to find time to do this, but I also think it's critical that we have something like this.
"The text in this article or section may be incoherent or very hard to understand, and should be reworded if the intended meaning can be determined."

Grom

Post by Grom »

I've been thinking about making a new player tutorial and putting it on youtube, both advertising the game and helping new players adapt. Has this been done, or does anyone have a better suggestion? Some of the easiest ways to learn about a game these days is through youtube.

MatronDeWinter
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by MatronDeWinter »

Grom wrote:I've been thinking about making a new player tutorial and putting it on youtube, both advertising the game and helping new players adapt. Has this been done, or does anyone have a better suggestion? Some of the easiest ways to learn about a game these days is through youtube.
Sounds like a great idea. I know Wise has some knowledge about recording video/sound for youtube. I think it was him that did that razor tutorial a while back.

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

Grom wrote:I've been thinking about making a new player tutorial and putting it on youtube, both advertising the game and helping new players adapt. Has this been done, or does anyone have a better suggestion? Some of the easiest ways to learn about a game these days is through youtube.
Aye, this would probably be the best media for a tutoial short of a playable tutorial. If there is anything I can do to help (although i can't imagine what) please let me know.
"The text in this article or section may be incoherent or very hard to understand, and should be reworded if the intended meaning can be determined."

Aegapan

Post by Aegapan »

I don't see this version of UO getting many new players. You will only be able to get or keep the veterans that have played before.
At this point in the game, new and inexperienced players are just going to be easy pickings for current players.
You log in and go to the bank only to see multiple thieves running around or dead. You try to leave the city limits to hunt and someone kills you or a murderer wipes you out. You also have to deal with people being jerks in town, making things even more difficult. I understand that this is the way the game is but other people aren't going to accept it. I couldn't hardly find anyone to speak to or help in the game. There isn't a tutorial or learning curve and you did away with the young status.

Grom

Post by Grom »

Aegapan wrote:I don't see this version of UO getting many new players. You will only be able to get or keep the veterans that have played before.
At this point in the game, new and inexperienced players are just going to be easy pickings for current players.
You log in and go to the bank only to see multiple thieves running around or dead. You try to leave the city limits to hunt and someone kills you or a murderer wipes you out. You also have to deal with people being jerks in town, making things even more difficult. I understand that this is the way the game is but other people aren't going to accept it. I couldn't hardly find anyone to speak to or help in the game. There isn't a tutorial or learning curve and you did away with the young status.
Just because there are murderers and thieves doesn't mean that people won't rise up to the challenge of surviving in such a harsh world. I have plenty of time next week that I'll be trying to get a tutorial going for new players and put in on youtube, but in the meantime, if you are having trouble adapting/surviving, the best thing to do is to make friends or join a guild. One of the great parts about pre-trammel UO is that surviving in such a harsh world is a real challenge vs all the carebear'ish games that only pit you against pre-made fights, with safe zones, and co-op pve with pvp restrictions. UO ends up being a real adventure in the sense that you never know what might happen, and it attracts players who look for that kind of freedom in a game. If you're looking for people to talk to for tips/help too, it's a good idea to connect to the IRC channel too.

sMASH
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by sMASH »

u know...i might have a spare 50 or 100 dollar bill around if i could get me a castle or some sort of payback lol, then voting wouldn't be an issue cause u could pay for a advertiser...but o well keep ur rules and rely on votes...i spend over 500 bucks on molten-wow..till i found out mostly everything was bugged...but with ur shard u could have anything u could imagine derrick just keep that in mind, and if u cut a deal i throw u a benjamin, just a reminder, u do have people on here that have money u know, its a free shard but the only 1 of its kind, so the free part is just a silly come on...everybody else does y not u, i donate a 5 bucks every once and while just cause i feel sorry and all, but if that happened i might get a little serious, i would even bump heads with wife about it...give a thought and my email is jatacker@hotmail.com...if u need the funds holler :P i wouldnt tell a soul...anyways im a loner and prolly nobody knows me anyways :P

sMASH
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by sMASH »

Aegapan wrote:I don't see this version of UO getting many new players. You will only be able to get or keep the veterans that have played before.
u wont see any version of uo gettin many new players cause new version tryin to be like kiddie wow, so just spam on gettin items for mulah maybe they listen if not this one sucks ass these guys been playing since start no way to make as many friend to run with as they got, either they except the mulah or get none is what i think

sMASH
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by sMASH »

o yea they tryin to be osi or blizzard doin this i just wish someone would start a site that i could buy castles 7xers or just anything i want they would make more money than the server itself rofl...o yea i would pay some bucks for some logs and ingots btw :P----i hate muleing
Last edited by sMASH on Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

sMASH
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by sMASH »

and if there is a site like that email it to jatacker@hotmail.com...i the r/l money man haha

Return to “Shard News”