MIDI music patch for Client : Beta testers wanted

Batlin
wobble llama
wobble llama

MIDI music patch for Client : Beta testers wanted

Post by Batlin »

Hi all

I've been working on a fix for the music/crash problem that occurs on Windows Vista & Windows 7.

This patch also addresses the delay that occurs when the client instructs the OS to open a new .mid file. Especially noticable when tabbing in and out of combat mode.

However, considering the 'complex' nature of the fix I'm looking to test this on a wider variety of systems and clients. I've been running this myself now on Windows XP and Windows 7 with success. It's been developed for 5.0.8.3 but I believe it can work for other versions too.

The DLL will be downloadable from download.joinuo.com and the md5 of the file provided is "91091fd56dc79447648c5439a1c95d83". Your client.exe needs to be patched additionaly because it needs to be modified to use the replacement DLL (this is a two-byte change).

Players interested in testing this fix before public release, please PM me so I can give you further details.

WARNING: I assure you this is not a hack to make your client crash or fetch your password or whatever. I can only guarantee however that the beta version I've put on download.joinuo.com is the original one. Do not accept this fix from other players. If you do, verify the MD5 checksum first. Thank you!
+ORC: If you give a man a crack he'll be hungry again tomorrow, but if you teach him how to crack, he'll never be hungry again.
chumbucket: I don't collect pixels.

Never trust the client. It's in the hands of the enemy : UO Demo internals @ JoinUO

Dagon

Re: MIDI music patch for Client : Beta testers wanted

Post by Dagon »

I can test it but I'm only on XP SP3... I don't really plan to make a permanent move to Win7 any time soon.

Drull

Post by Drull »

Dagon wrote:I can test it but I'm only on XP SP3... I don't really plan to make a permanent move to Win7 any time soon.
Windows 7 is awesome. Other than this UO client music issue, I've had nothing but lurve from Win7. It actually runs faster on the same hardware as well, compared to XP.

Manfromx
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Manfromx »

I'd like to test this as well. I'm also getting crashes when a new midi begins playing. I have two machines both running Win7

Dagon

Post by Dagon »

This DLL works, but there will be a different fix posted soon (time table not set in stone, I'm still working out some stuff).

Oswald

Post by Oswald »

How can I help? I'm on win7 64 and I get crashes from music.

Schtolteheim

Post by Schtolteheim »

Any updates on this?

Batlin
wobble llama
wobble llama

Post by Batlin »

Well, it works.

But on some W7 x64 systems it's causing a hang at start-up in combination with Razor. I've been unable to replicate the problem.

Dagon has worked on a fix of his own and will be released sooner or later.
+ORC: If you give a man a crack he'll be hungry again tomorrow, but if you teach him how to crack, he'll never be hungry again.
chumbucket: I don't collect pixels.

Never trust the client. It's in the hands of the enemy : UO Demo internals @ JoinUO

Populus

Post by Populus »

Contact me whenever it's public! Thanks! :wink:
ImageImageImage
[cA]

Dagon

Post by Dagon »

Just waiting on Derrick to make the final approval.. everything is good to go and ready for public consumption.

Oswald

Post by Oswald »

Any word on this? Should we bug Derrick with PMs?

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

I'm really sorry I've dropped to ball for so long on this. I'm very anxious to make this our official client. I just haven't been able to get to it, the days have been flying by here.

I'm going to try and work on this today.
"The text in this article or section may be incoherent or very hard to understand, and should be reworded if the intended meaning can be determined."

Bag

Post by Bag »

Maybe I'm dumb but what should I be getting from the download.joinuo.com directory and how do I use it?

edit: I am dumb, this clearly hasn't been released.
Last edited by Bag on Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Arkosh Kovasz
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Arkosh Kovasz »

Oooo I cant wait! I haven't been able to listen to the music in-game since starting here.

Oswald

Post by Oswald »

Been waiting on this forever :(

(not really forever, just feels like forever. I really love the music in this game)