windows 7 and saving in-game settings

Dagon

Re: windows 7 and saving in-game settings

Post by Dagon »

There seems to be a big influx of people with problems the last few days.. so..

Let's be clear on everything. .. which installer has everyone been using?

The first one (old old) with separate 5.0.8.3 patch (new players won't have this), the 300MB installer, or the most recent ~330MB installer?

What Operating System? 32bit or 64bit?

Where is UO installed? Default directory?

Is your Windows user account an administrator account or a user account?

How did you install the client? Did you just run the UOSA_Client_Installer.exe as is? Did you change any permissions or compatibility settings?

Please provide as much info as possible because up until now nobody has had any problems... and all of a sudden a few people are.

cryostallion

Post by cryostallion »

Glarus1 wrote:
cryostallion wrote:i finally ended up downloading uo gold client and patching up to 5.0.9.1

everything works ok now. not sure what it is about the installer from UOSA, and i don't really care.

stoked
where did you get the uo gold client?

fileplanet i believe. just do a web search for uo gold 15 day trial

Hicha
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Hicha »

Dagon wrote:There seems to be a big influx of people with problems the last few days.. so..

The first one (old old) with separate 5.0.8.3 patch (new players won't have this), the 300MB installer, or the most recent ~330MB installer?

How did you install the client? Did you just run the UOSA_Client_Installer.exe as is? Did you change any permissions or compatibility settings?

Please provide as much info as possible because up until now nobody has had any problems... and all of a sudden a few people are.
1. Latest installer (has Ventrilo included)
2. 64-bit Windows 7
3. Two separate tries (C:\Program Files x86\<> and C:\Games\<>)
4. Administrator Account

Things I have done:

Installed as user
Installed as administrator
Installed as user with Windows XP SP 2 Compatibility
Installed as admin with Windows XP SP 2 Compatibility
Changed default installation folder
Repropagated permissions on individual folders, then on root of drive
Took ownership on individual folders, then on root of drive
Disabled read-only settings for folders

For whatever reason this installer is setting it up with some weird permission issue that makes UO and Razor require an Admin to run in order to load settings (UO is creating save data in the Desktop folder.) I copied my old Ultima Online/Razor folders from my Windows XP box, dropped it into Program Files and I'm able to play/save just fine.
"I consider most of you NPC's that inhabit the single player game that I am here to enjoy." - MatronDeWinter

cryostallion

Post by cryostallion »

Dagon wrote:There seems to be a big influx of people with problems the last few days.. so..

1. i used the 330 MB installer
2. 64 bit win 7
3. installed UO in default (program files x86)
4. admin
5. ran installer as-is, without any changes to permissions or compatibility

Glarus1

Post by Glarus1 »

cryostallion wrote:
Glarus1 wrote:
cryostallion wrote:i finally ended up downloading uo gold client and patching up to 5.0.9.1

everything works ok now. not sure what it is about the installer from UOSA, and i don't really care.

stoked
where did you get the uo gold client?

fileplanet i believe. just do a web search for uo gold 15 day trial
Sorry, one more stupid question. How do I patch it up to what I need? :)

cryostallion

Post by cryostallion »

Glarus1 wrote:
Sorry, one more stupid question. How do I patch it up to what I need? :)

just go into the UO directory (under EA games if default) and run the app called uopatch.

you will see it start downloading patches, so just watch the status and wait until it gets to patch 5-whatever, and then stop it. i just pushed cancel. anything after 5.0 will suffice i think.

good luck!

Glarus1

Post by Glarus1 »

Win7 x64
Latest installer
as Admin
into default programsx86 folder

I've tried installing with compatibility and without
I've run Razor and UO with compatibility with Vista and XP sp2 and with Admin rights

So far, no dice. I'm going to try cryostallions suggestion and hope for the best.

Dagon

Post by Dagon »

so right now it mainly looks like 64-bit Vista/7 users are having problems.. nobody on 32bit has any issues (that have reported, anyways).

I know for a fact there are 64bit users that do not have problems, so I have no idea where to look for a solution.. there really is absolutely nothing in the installation that should be causing this... and also nothing has been changed in the new installer that differs from the old one (that has been used for months) as far as how things are installed.

I'm still thinking that it's some common "problem" on your computers rather than anything the installer does. Otherwise there would be 100 more 64bit users on here complaining.. as part of testing I had installed this on 64bit Win7 and had absolutely no problems with running/saving anything..

Bainton

Post by Bainton »

Wow ... I installed the Take Ownership registry file and it worked instantly. I cannot tell you how much time this potentially saved me. Thank you so much for the pro tip.