Irc Issues, Please help

Kryptonical
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Irc Issues, Please help

Post by Kryptonical »

Hi I'll try to right down all the info I can so that hopefully this can get figured out.

Issue: When connected to irc I continuously disconnect then reconnect, roughly every few minutes, sometimes way less.

Scenario: All day, every day, no exceptions, with programs running, without programs running.

steps taken to solve: Checked my internet connection while on irc by doing speed tests at the same time as a crash, browsing, etc. Also turned off all programs that connected online (skype, digsby, etc), still disconnected.

I'm running windows 7 64. Using mIRC v7.14, evaluation copy.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

edit: I've also noticed I seem to crash very frequently when I try to say something in mIRC. however even whenI don't say anything I still get disconnected.

Populus

Re: Irc Issues, Please help

Post by Populus »

Ask around on their official forums.

http://trout.snt.utwente.nl/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php

I'll contact you when I get home. I had a similar problem when I tried fixing the "auto-connect" function.
Have you been screwing around with scripts? Trying to get auto-join or connect to function?

What does it say in the #status window?
ImageImageImage
[cA]

Kryptonical
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kryptonical »

Populus wrote:Ask around on their official forums.

http://trout.snt.utwente.nl/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php

I'll contact you when I get home. I had a similar problem when I tried fixing the "auto-connect" function.
Have you been screwing around with scripts? Trying to get auto-join or connect to function?

What does it say in the #status window?
Thanks!

Reconnect on disconnect <-- checked
I don't have any scripts or anything that I'm aware of.

I did notice that I only have 1 server in my server selection screen. If that has to do with anything.

Dagon

Post by Dagon »

there's a few things I could suggest....... none of which would really apply to anything..

but if your windows firewall is on, make sure it has an exception for mirc (i dont use windows firewall so i dont know if it would affect anything) -- but since you can connect its obviously not being blocked.. maybe a certain kind of packet is however

or any other firewall or antivirus apps that deal with net connections could be interfering with it .. ditto

if you use a router for lan or wifi you can open up ports on it, even though they are not needed for normal irc connections.. usually only have to set it up for dcc file transfers

if you or anyone in the house are torrenting and eating up all the bandwidth that could be a cause also

your isp could be terminating the connection because comcast is known for doing shady things

you can try connecting to the server on a different port.. default is 6667 but you can change it to anything between 6660-6669, you could try setting up mirc to use ssl and connect to port 7000 also

you can roll back to a 6.x mirc client and see if that helps at all

you can use a different client other than mirc, since these problems seem to mostly affect mirc, aka bad programming code

^^ you could verify some of these causes by using the java irc client, if you dont get disconnected anymore its basically going to be a mirc software problem.

Kryptonical
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kryptonical »

What other irc software would you suggest? I'll get to work on the other bits of info

Dagon

Post by Dagon »

Since you just disconnected with the java client also, I'm going to say that it's something on your computer, or your isp....

GleepGlop

Post by GleepGlop »

This has happened to me with Comcast as well using a WRT54G, I think it was 90 or 120 seconds until it would disconnect you, saying it has timed out or inactivity or something like that. Does your irc client ping/pong the server regularly?

Kryptonical
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kryptonical »

I switched to Xchat and so far that seems to have solved the issue.

Unfortunately with Xchat I am getting some other error message, seems fairly random and few and far between but I just get a dialog box that comes up and then it says something (I forgot, I'll write it down next time) and Xchat just dies. I reload Xchat and its up and running perfectly again. I guess that issue is much better than my previous issue so I'm moving in the right direction