Play the Second Age Demo.

Darius Terrance

Play the Second Age Demo.

Post by Darius Terrance »

Hi all.
I've bought and installed the original second age ultima online.
The problem is that i cant figure out how to playe the offline demo.

Any one could help me?

Thanks in advance.

qtip

Re: Play the Second Age Demo.

Post by qtip »

Ultima Online has always been played online. There is no offline tutorial or demo.
Here is the thread that will tell you how to play on the 2nd age server: http://forum.uosecondage.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=496

Where did you find your second age CD by the way? they are quite rare here.

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

There actually is an offline demo on the Original T2A CD which I have.

I was unable to get the demo working on Vista, but some of our players have used it under winXP. The option to install it ought to be at the end of the T2A Client install, but you cannot connect to the demo on a patched client since it's kind of a Mini-Server that runs on your own PC.

qtip

Post by qtip »

what does the demo involve? I can't really imagine UO without the O part :P

Darius Terrance

Derrick wrote:There actually is an offline demo on the Original T2A CD which I have.

I was unable to get the demo working on Vista, but some of our players have used it under winXP. The option to install it ought to be at the end of the T2A Client install, but you cannot connect to the demo on a patched client since it's kind of a Mini-Server that runs on your own PC.
Nice infos...
but, it's strange, there is no question about installing the demo at the end of the setup.
Really strange... after install in the t2a folder there is one called "demo" but it's empty.
:(

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

Darius Terrance wrote: Nice infos...
but, it's strange, there is no question about installing the demo at the end of the setup.
Really strange... after install in the t2a folder there is one called "demo" but it's empty.
:(
It may have been taken out in that release version?

The general jist of it it, you start in Ocllo and a Wisp leads you around showing you how to manipulate items, cast spells, etc.

RoboGrater

Post by RoboGrater »

Realize this is an old thread but the demo is there in my release version. I had it installed just before I started here on this server... Its what made me want to play again. :D

I'm running Windows XP and it prompted me to install it right after the client install, though I have had problems actually getting it to install on XP in the past.

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

RoboGrater wrote:Realize this is an old thread but the demo is there in my release version. I had it installed just before I started here on this server... Its what made me want to play again. :D

I'm running Windows XP and it prompted me to install it right after the client install, though I have had problems actually getting it to install on XP in the past.
I couldn't get it to run under Vista, ended up installing Win98se on an old box.

RawToxic
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by RawToxic »

To play this UO client in Windows Vista, you must disable the Vista UAC components. (User Account Controls) This will allow your application to run in old pre-vista style administrator mode and will work just fine.

However, you will greatly cripple the security features in your vista operating system by making this change and your system will be less secure.

Just wanted to put that out there.

Almost all older programs will run on Vista with the UAC disabld.

Ciao!
[$$$] Syndicate of Successful Salesmen

Seven Elements - GM Alchemist, Blacksmith, Carpenter, Mage, Musician, Tailor, Tinker
Fletch - GM Bowyer, Miner
Samuel Vane - GM Fisherman
Arsenic Annie - GM Poisoner
Grimm McCutty - PVP Hybrid

McMafia

Post by McMafia »

i have a t2a cd as well... mine also has the GM client. Use to get the gm screen on osi every once and awhile. was interesting.

Darius Terrance

Tonight i will post the setup gump...

^_^

Darius Terrance

When setup.exe starts i've got only these two gumps:

eyesdearth

Post by eyesdearth »

After you install the game, it should pop up a box asking if you want to install the demo. The version of the game in the demonoid torrent does this, and then no matter what you pick it doesn't install it, even though there's a file called demo_.exe in the install directory. Running it directly also doesn't work. It seems to extract to a temp directory somewhere, and then throws an error.

You're not missing much. The demo is just a blue wisp guiding you around a gimped and mostly empty version of Ocllo. Or at least, it was like that. Maybe it changed in later versions. It's not even that great a tutorial. It was always an afterthought, and was only put in to encourage kids to buy the game even if they hadn't already gotten their parents to agree to pay the monthly fee. Sort of like a Joe Camel effect, if you will.

Milford Cubicle
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Milford Cubicle »

I rememer you got this green sword and you kill a dragon in one hit lol... i laughed when I did it 10 years ago.

Dashiva

Post by Dashiva »

Milford Cubicle wrote:I rememer you got this green sword and you kill a dragon in one hit lol... i laughed when I did it 10 years ago.
Yes in fact I played this demo which me and a friend downloaded long long ago. It was quite misleading because I started UO thinking it would have a lot of interesting quests to slay dragons with named items and such.

Also interesting was that nothing was locked down, as I recall. I ran around with half the town in my pack.
Korlan (Dexxer) | Dashiva (Tamer)
Dashiva from Napa Valley