Is journal recording possible?

Hoots
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Is journal recording possible?

Post by Hoots »

As my title says is it possible to record your journal to a txt file (or any type of file)?

Ideally I would like to record each line of the journal with a date/time stamp next to each line (Real world time, not UO time..)

Is this possible?

not sure if i should of posted this here or if it goes somewhere else?

Thanks

-Hoots

Derrick

Re: Is journal recording possible?

Post by Derrick »

The option is "Save text log file" in options on the UO tab.
I have no idea though where that log is saved. (I've been looking for it myself)

Hoots
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Hoots »

Derrick wrote:The option is "Save text log file" in options on the UO tab.
I have no idea though where that log is saved. (I've been looking for it myself)
ok, ill take a look. So no third party apps or anything that you are aware of? I also doubt the UO log file will have time stamps but i will see what i can find.

Thanks

edit.. just saw this on google if it helps you D... not sure if it will work with t2a or not. config file lines...

http://uo.stratics.com/content/misc/cfg.shtml

SaveJournal=[On/Off]* If set to on then all spoken text and system messages displayed in-game will be saved to a Journal file.

JournalSaveFile=[Filename] or [Path and filename]* This allows you to save all of the text that appears on your screen for later viewing. This includes system messages, dialogue, etc. If you use it, just remember to delete it every once in a while, or else it will get huge and eat up your hard drive space. In the example listed to the right, the game will save the journal into a file called "uo.txt" in the uo directory on your C: drive. If you play with this option set up, then you may want to download our UO Journal Converter, written by Tolian Worf. This handy utility archives your journal files according to date, so that you may keep a longterm record of your in-game exploits.

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

Nice find.

I enabled the "Save text log." in game options, exited the client
I appended:
JournalSaveFile=c:\Ultima Online\Journal.txt
to my uo.cfg file located in:
C:\Ultima Online\Desktop\<acct name>\SecondAge\<char name>

And it worked.

There is a little lag time before the entries are actually written to the Journal.txt file. There are no time stamps either.

Hoots
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Hoots »

yeah, from that stratics page i found a link for the Uo Journal converter (UOJC)

http://uo.stratics.com/uojc/help.shtml

sounds like a pretty nice app for making the journal readable.

Timestamps are what im really looking for so im guessing since there is nothing in the basic text file im SOL on that one.

Rhakarth

Post by Rhakarth »

A few days ago, the settings and screen layouts for all my characters were reset to defaults. Probably because I was having troubles with my power supply after a power failure and had occasional random reboots.
The power supply has been replaced now and the screen layouts have been set up again.

But I noticed that my journal.log file is no longer updated..

First I thought that it might have a size limit, so I took a backup and cleared journal.log, but that didn't help. Removing it didn't either.
I assumed recording to the log file was the default setting because my original one starts with my very first character logging in for the first time. I checked my options and 'save text log file' was disabled. I enabled it.. and still no log file.
I logged out, thinking it might write the file when closing the client. And when I logged back in, the save option was disabled again :?:
What's really strange is that in my uo.cfg, i have SaveJournal=on, and it stays like that even when it's off in the client.
I also tried a different path for JournalSaveFile in uo.cfg, but that didn't work either...

any ideas before i reinstall the whole client? :wink:

Chaos
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Chaos »

Only thing I can think of is make sure the file is not set to read-only and thus can't be updated.

[21:27] <@Derrick> UOSA is a tribute to the feasibility of anarchy

Damnsammit

Post by Damnsammit »

Thread necro: I can't get this to work.

The file is never created, and if I create it then it remains empty.

How much of a lag time is it between the file updating?

Dragor
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Dragor »

has anyone gotten this to work?