Reducing lag and ping with UOSA (And other Online Game)

Pehiko
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Reducing lag and ping with UOSA (And other Online Game)

Post by Pehiko »

I read a lot of post about lag and bad ping and i have been using a tool that have been around for a couple of years in the gaming community (specially for game like SW:TOR, World of Warcraft etc) and i think that sharing this tool would help the UOSA Community.

It's called Leatrix Latency Fix.

There is over 5Millions download of the fix in the last 3 year and been approved and promoted by some of the best gaming website related to mmo/online gaming.

It's not a software that you need to run every boot or that run in the memory its simply a registry fix for the TCP protocol that change the way it queue and acknowledge the bundling process. (There is a walkthrough on how to do it directly by hand in the registry but they build the script to make it easier.)

This is the download link:
http://www.wowinterface.com/downloads/i ... 0.2.0.html

And this is the full FAQ (How it work, what it does etc):
http://www.wowinterface.com/portal.php? ... pageid=246

(This helped me reduce my ping by 40% on UOSA)

The other thing it might be worth sharing is that some ISP are throttling MMO. Usually it's because they use crappy P2P detection system and the low but constant bandwidth (download/upload at the same time) confuse game with P2P.

Here is an example of this:
http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/story ... games.html

If you have issue with desynch and lag to do a simple test to see if your internet provider is slowing down your game data on purpose at http://measurementlab.net/measurement-lab-tools#tool2 Glasnost is the best one. BTW measurementlab is own by google (in case you guys are unsafe visiting unknown website).

Hope it Help!
Pehiko

Chaos
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: Reducing lag and ping with UOSA (And other Online Game)

Post by Chaos »

Good post I'd be interested to know if this was the source of a lot of our desyning problems.

[21:27] <@Derrick> UOSA is a tribute to the feasibility of anarchy

Ripplinger

Post by Ripplinger »

I recently changed ISPs and ever since I've been on AT&T Uverse I've had horrible lag in game. Whenever I move I'm running in place, and then all of a sudden I'll appear about 20 steps ahead in one big jump. It's been pretty much unplayable and can die to the weakest of mobs. The connection speed is over double what I had with Earthlink so couldn't quite understand what was happening.

Stumbled on this post today and tried it and wow... it really did work. I'm now running as I should everywhere, no more running in place as if I'm blocked by an invisible obstacle standing in front of me.

If you have problems, try it. I'd have felt safer if I could have found the registry changes to make myself (perhaps it's the links and I overlooked it), but it's made a huge difference for me.

The Real Sandro

Post by The Real Sandro »

I couldn't get the download to work.
cr3w / -3-

[14:41] <SJane> nevermore doesn't cheat
[14:41] <Arsen_SupPe> tell me how my brownbear loses against a chicken then? kty jane
[06:07] <Luca|Blight> but really whos left thats good at pvp besides sandro

Zeppelin
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Zeppelin »

Edit:

Will try, Georges St Pierre

Code: Select all

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "Leatrix_Latency_Fix_3.00.pyw", line 109, in <module>
  File "Tkinter.pyc", line 1685, in __init__
_tkinter.TclError: Can't find a usable init.tcl in the following directories: 
    C:/Users/dasdasas/Desktop/lib/tcl8.5 C:/Users/dassssssssssssdfsdfs/Desktop/lib/tcl8.5 C:/Users/dasdadasda/lib/tcl8.5 C:/Users/dasasdadsasdasd/Desktop/library C:/Users/dasdadasdaasdadad/library C:/Users/asdasddfsdgsdggsgdtcl8.5.2/library C:/Users/tcl8.5.2/library

This probably means that Tcl wasn't installed properly.
Now what?

Pehiko
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Pehiko »

Zep did you just open the zip and run the EXE?

Try to extracting the whole zip file to a folder THEN run the exe file.

Pehiko
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Pehiko »

The Real Sandro wrote:I couldn't get the download to work.
Try this link: http://cdn.wowinterface.com/downloads/g ... 1328870654 It's the direct download link from the same website.

Zeppelin
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Zeppelin »

Pehiko wrote:Zep did you just open the zip and run the EXE?

Try to extracting the whole zip file to a folder THEN run the exe file.
I did it manually by editing the registry.

I now ping 59, thanks pehiko

Border Patrol

Post by Border Patrol »

Citizens,

I usually have a great connection. I had stopped playing in August of last year because of certain circumstances. When I came back; I had noticed that we now have around 200+ more clients on then when I had last played.

I also notice I would lag spike alot. Some days not so much and other days it was pretty much unplayable. I stumbled upon this post about 2 or 3 days ago. I went ahead and tried the program. Ever since then I have not lag spiked not 1 time since installing.

This program is awesome and I highly recommend it.

Safe travels....citizens.

Nefarity

Post by Nefarity »

I just tested this and it actually made my ping worse.

Testing my ping to login.uosecondage.com or uosecondage.com I always used to get an extremely stable ping between 117 and 119 ms. After installing the program and restarting my PC it went up to ~125ms with a small spike of 139ms. Even after uninstalling this "latency fix" my ping doesn't seem to go back to regular... =(

Edit: F***! Not only did this make my ping worse, I get real lags ingame now. When I'm running around with my horse it actually stops sometimes for a short while because I'm LAGGING which NEVER happened before. To be honest I'm pretty angry right now.... but I guess it's my own fault for desperately wanting to get a better ping. F***........

Edit2: Things are actually worse than I thought. This thing even seems to have fucked up my internet connection in general somehow. I just did a speedtest because I was worried and I do not nearly get the results I usually get.

Edit3: F*** F*** F***... after repeatedly using uotrace it turns out I even get minor packet loss.

Please if anyone can offer any insight on this contact me asap. This program literally destroyed my internet connection, or at least in terms of UO it did. It seems like when it's installed I have a worse ping than before, and when it's uninstalled I get a worse ping + packet loss.
Last edited by Nefarity on Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

the bazookas
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by the bazookas »

Occasionally the net just does that to you... wait a while and see if it fixes itself. I have had times when my ping was real bad compared to normal for a day or so.

Also, please don't drop the f-bomb all over the place like that (in fact, you should edit it out before the board admin does). Certain institutions will block websites if too much profanity is found by various webcrawlers.
Most people like us, or at least they like what we do. Regardless, we appreciate all our victims, and we hope that their encounter with us is a memorable one.
-a machine gun, a bazooka, and a grenade
... a not-for-profit organization (usually)

Nefarity

Post by Nefarity »

the bazookas wrote:Occasionally the net just does that to you... wait a while and see if it fixes itself. I have had times when my ping was real bad compared to normal for a day or so.

Also, please don't drop the f-bomb all over the place like that (in fact, you should edit it out before the board admin does). Certain institutions will block websites if too much profanity is found by various webcrawlers.
You're right about that, I edited my post. However I am very certain this is not a problem with my internet connection or the net in general. I played UO a couple of minutes before, did the ping test via uotrace, had 117ms as ALWAYS and everything was running smoothly ingame. Right after that I installed the latency "fix" and things happened as I desribed them. This thing definitely screwed up my internet connection somehow, and especially my ping to UOSA.

Is there anyone here who is extremely knowledgeable with this stuff and/or can help me to check the registry manually for the source of this problem?

Nefarity

Post by Nefarity »

Jesus..... I think I fixed it. What I did is I uninstalled the program, then manually edited my registry and restarted my PC. After that my ping went back to normal. Needless to say I deleted every trace of this "latency fix" from my computer... Damn thing cost me 2hours of my life.

Anyone thinking about trying this out, be careful. Better make a complete backup of your registry before you install it. I'm running an already tweaked version of Windows XP64 which probably already included some sort of ping enhancing registry entries. The program probably messed with those entries, and when I uninstalled it it rerolled my registry to "normal", but apparently not its original state.