High CPU usage

Casey
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

High CPU usage

Post by Casey »

I have an Asus G74 laptop with an intel i7 cpu and 8 gb memory.

When I am running UO the intel boost mode meter reads that the cpu is running at a constant 2.60 Ghz. I also get performance alerts stating that at least one CPU is running at 100%.

What gives? I can multitask like crazy without this computer breaking a sweat, but when I run UO this stuff happens and the bottom of the laptop gets pretty warm and the fan stays on.

I have "Use smart CPU usage reduction" unchecked in razor. What else can I do? This decade old game shouldn't be a challenge for my one year old laptop.

Thanks.

-Windspirit

mxmx23

Re: High CPU usage

Post by mxmx23 »

I know this is gonna sound dumb but just humor me and try it.

Take the battery out of your laptop and hold the power button down for 60 seconds. Put the battery back in and power your laptop up.

I had a cpu issue similar to what you are describing (not related to uo) and this fixed it.

Missy B

Post by Missy B »

oh ive had this problem before. check which file is causing the cpu to work harder and suspend it. goto your resource manager and im pretty sure its svchost file.
the problem i had with that file was because windows installed their own version of a virus removal program and when it wass left running the svchost file would use up a ton of cpu usage.

Casey
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Casey »

*update*

when I turn off windows xp compatibility mode it runs cool (I have windows 7)

with compatibility mode checked (xp service pack 3) there are about 15 svchost.exe's running.

with it unchecked, there are none.

I don't know much about computers :(

Missy B

Post by Missy B »

svchost file is the file that links your dll's to your executable so there should always be more than one running if youre running more than one program. i feel i dont know enough to be much help on this issue. i used to have the problem youre having and the way i fixed mine was to uninstall the windows defender program. its windows version of an antivirus program. i cant tell you to really uninstall it but if it doesnt fix it, you can always just reinstall it by downloading it from windows website.

Valen

Post by Valen »

Good Lord this is a train wreck. We don't recommend uninstalling antimalware/antivirus applications while on the internet unless it is to install a different one.

Additionally, getting advice on services and virtualization from a video game forum is not the best idea.

Missy B

Post by Missy B »

im glad i was your reason for making a second post, valon :)

Valen

Post by Valen »

Haha. ^5