chumbucket's Tales of Adventure: Everybody Loves a Clown

Share stories and special moments with the community.
chumbucket
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

chumbucket's Tales of Adventure: Everybody Loves a Clown

Post by chumbucket »

Everyone Loves a Clown

Most people know who I am. That is to say, most people know what I do. This makes it difficult for me to get near others, and so it makes it difficult to get the goods. Enter my good friend the disguise kit. But as great as the disguise kit is, it can be downright boring. I have to look for a name that doesn't sound like an NPC name. Then I throw on whatever clothing and armor I happen to have handy. (I usually just grab whatever the treasure hunters have left on the ground near the bank.) Occasionally, I try to pull off something special. Once, as many of you know, I was an orc named Erek (and later Elek). That was fun. This time I needed something different. This time I would be something heretofore unseen in the lands of Sosaria.

This time I was a clown.

Yes, a clown. I bought a full jester's suit. Dyed it as many different bright, standard colors as I could (red, purple, blue, yellow and green as I recall). And I set out, as I always do, in search of adventure. The following incidents over a period of two or three days and several days ago. I'll recollect the interesting ones the best I can and, most likely, out of order both in terms of marks and what happened when to the marks. But you should get a general flavor for the whole scam.

[NOTE: After writing this, I review all of my RPVs and screenshots from these incidents. For the most part, the things that happened were funnier than I recalled. You'll notice some differences between what I said happened and what did happen. So take a look!]

Elwood the Clown

After a few failed attempts at my clown routine (to be explained), I finally came perfected the move and found a cooperative mark: Satchy. I approach with the clown dance: I run circles around the mark, adding in lots of little spins. After a few seconds, I make my initial move. I dance right up to the mark and get in a snoop. I move only a few paces away to lower in hopes of lowering the mark's suspicion. Then I set in on him.

Elwood: I AM A CLOWN!

Satchy: ...

Elwood: Want to see a magic trick?

Satchy: Uh ok.

Elwood: OK! Count backward from 3!

Satchy: 3. 2...

At this point, I run in for the steal. I forget what I took from Satchy, but he wasn't happy.

Elwood: TA DA! I made your loot disappear!

Satchy: your not a clown your a twat.

Success! Alas, wise bards know that they are no match for even the most feeble of clowns. And wise Satchy is. He leaves the scene. I only get what I stole. But his wisdom leaves him after a few minutes. I bank my goods and notice the return of Satchy. I begin to start the routine again, but Satchy interjects.

Satchy: Vas Ort Flam

Every clown knows that means to get ready for fun. Unfortunately, fun was had only by me. Either through his lack of wrestling or some stroke of good luck, I manage to not miss a single blow. Satchy goes down after an extended chase.

Another victim of Elwood was a fellow by the name of Amiga. Amiga seemed amused by my clownish antics. Wary of the guards, I ask him to step away from the bank for fear of thieves. You can't be too careful after all! He complies. Oddly enough, we are followed by a thief. But since we are both on horses, we simply run very far from the bank. My routine commences.

Elwood: Would you like to see a magic trick?

Amiga: yes.

This one was a bit more complicated. Amiga didn't really have much loot. The best thing he had on him was a GM made katana. But, like any serious practitioner of buffoonery, I'm not in it for the money, I'm in it for the laughs. I'll have to be extra sneaky.

Elwood: OK! First, put on this bone chest.

Elwood: Next, put this fish steak in your backpack.

Elwood: Now hold this smith's hammer and count backwards from 3.

Amiga: ok but you better not steal from me. 3. 2...

At this point, I stole from him. He was not amused.

Later, on my way to the moongate, he assaults me with a surpassingly accurate short spear of force that hits suprisingly hard. The fight was rather tough, but I overcame. I sold the spear for 500 gold. (What a deal!)

After my clowning was done that day, Amiga made a second appearance. I was attempting to explain to a new player the various kinds of loot dropped by lichs. You know: gold, magic items, gems, scrolls and those very, very rare Ettin's Caps. He was not familiar with Ettin's Caps, so I explained it in some detail. Amiga attacked while repeatedly uttering the word 'turkey'. I managed to kill him without any major cessation in my explanation. (Check out my normal day at the bank RPV in the screenshot sections for this gem.)

Noe the Clown

Noe the clown had quite the adventure. My first mark was a pirate.

Noe: I AM A CLOWN. Would you like to see a magic trick?

Pirate: Sure.

Noe: Ok! Count backwards from 3.

Pirate: 3. 2..

I run in for the steal, coming up with a waterstained SOS.

Elwood: TA DA! (And in the bank the SOS goes.)

Pirate: Uh ok.

Elwood: Would you like to see it again?

Pirate: Uh I don't know what you did.

Elwood: Ah sir, it was very subtle. I made your SOS disappear!

He was a good sport. But I still sold his SOS for three thousand gold.

The final encounter I will relate to you was perhaps the most action filled of all of my clown-themed adventures. It involved zarqawi-funeral. I meet him up with him shortly after the pirate incident and ask if he would like to see a magic trick.

ZF: i guess.

Noe: OK! Count backwards from 3!

ZF: 3. 2....

I steal a nice short spear.

Noe: TA DA!

ZF: In Por Ylem

Those words always put a smile on my face. I hand him what I take to be a respectable and hard fought thrashing. He recalls just as his back up arrives...Disco Damnation. I hand him an equally respectable thrashing when ZF returns. I flee the scene. I later catch up with them near my shop and beg them to fight fair.

Noe: One at a time, ladies!

I manage to survive by using my patented anti-paralyze move and fleeing to the moongates a few times. No one died and I didn't get much loot, but I had a good time and was proud to have shown them such a nice magic trick.

There were other clowns--Jivin, Jin and Elmo--but this is long, so I'll just leave you with some RPVs and screenshots.
Attachments
AmigaSteal.rpv
(10.82 KiB) Downloaded 312 times
SatchyDeath.rpv
(47.06 KiB) Downloaded 302 times
SatchySteal.rpv
(13.52 KiB) Downloaded 282 times
Last edited by chumbucket on Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chumbucket
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: chumbucket's Tales of Adventure: Everybody Loves a Clown

Post by chumbucket »

More goodies attached.
Attachments
Satchy goes down.
Satchy goes down.
That isn't nice!
That isn't nice!
Someone ain't happy!
Someone ain't happy!

chumbucket
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by chumbucket »

And more!
Attachments
I taunt Disco Domination and ZF, but I'm running for my life so they don't hear me. :(
I taunt Disco Domination and ZF, but I'm running for my life so they don't hear me. :(
He doesn't want to see a magic trick.  Kau, my associate, looks on.
He doesn't want to see a magic trick. Kau, my associate, looks on.
Satchy was unhappy with the end result.
Satchy was unhappy with the end result.

chumbucket
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by chumbucket »

I forgot to add the RPV of Amiga's death!
Attachments
AmigaDeath.rpv
(19.11 KiB) Downloaded 251 times
I stole his runebook.
I stole his runebook.
If this had happened to him as a child, he probably would have developed a lifelong fear of clowns.
If this had happened to him as a child, he probably would have developed a lifelong fear of clowns.
Last edited by chumbucket on Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chumbucket
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by chumbucket »

Last ones.
Attachments
That will hurt your pride.
That will hurt your pride.
...and down goes Urses.
...and down goes Urses.
I return to the scene to find one of my oppressors dead.  I get out my beatstick, join in the party...
I return to the scene to find one of my oppressors dead. I get out my beatstick, join in the party...

Pope Urban II

Post by Pope Urban II »

Aww, now I wish I stopped to the "I'm a clown" guy.

Reading this made me smile a little.
"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe."
-Friedrich Nietzsche

alatar

Post by alatar »

In my 9 years of UO, I have only encountered 1 thief as affective as chumbucket..
#1 PK Guild on T2A
ironfistmax wrote:Alatar is one of the best PvPers I have known. I have played UO since 1998 and every free shard known to man. It's not questionable whether he is good or not.
Hemperor wrote:Alatar is a douche bag but at least he and cr3w would fight everyone.

Barney [LoV]

Post by Barney [LoV] »

You're slacking this one wasnt half as good as your others

Rahvin080

Post by Rahvin080 »

You should have shown them your pencil trick!

brandonsantacruz

Post by brandonsantacruz »

My magic trick is not carrying anything worth stealing, unless it's in my hand ;P
Good show!

Pope Urban II

Post by Pope Urban II »

brandonsantacruz wrote:My magic trick is not carrying anything worth stealing, unless it's in my hand ;P
Mine is carrying a pouch covered with noob clothes/other noob items, in which to carry things in. Works well. =)
"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe."
-Friedrich Nietzsche

platy

Post by platy »

he's a simple snoop-n-steal theif..

no i've never encountered him but thats just cuz i barely get on.. prior to those "here's how to use restock agent" threads there were theives ruining peoples UOSA experiences.. :wink:

maybe i'm missing something but it seems like he barely gets items worth keeping..
if anyone from catskills remembers the char Jackal, he was exactly like chum: a macer with snoop/steal: and I will admit it was just as effective on OSI, jack would steal, wait for aggressors, then kill..

But when it came to playing theives, I always thought it wasnt about pissing people off OR even getting good fights/kills: it was about getting items you want/needed so you wouldn't have to pay for em (ie. i've stolen about 30k of each FS reg along with 15k each other reg and now don't need to buy regs anymore)
due to the malicious nature of theiving, i keep my theifs name on the downlow, ( dont like to be hated) but i will admit i love how chumbucket gets off on pissing ppl off: you just rarely find fun/entertaining greifers ;p

Salladhar Saan

Post by Salladhar Saan »

platy wrote:he's a simple snoop-n-steal theif..

maybe i'm missing something but it seems like he barely gets items worth keeping..
;p
I'm sure chum will tell you that's not the point.

SOLO-g

Post by SOLO-g »

chum doesnt tell all!! here my run in with the cA guild leader:

chum: selling trapped boxes now at vesper!!
me: *buys one of those traped boxes, places in house, fills and locks down*
chum: *messing with newbs at wbb*
me: *goes gray in guards with house key and rune*
chum: *kills me, thinking he is a great thief ready to loot a house, takes rune and key*
me: *smiles*
chumpwned.JPG
irony at its finest.

edit- his notorious trapped box vendor no longer sells them. :wink:
shit-talking is for winners....

chumbucket
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by chumbucket »

SOLO-g wrote:chum doesnt tell all!! here my run in with the cA guild leader:

chum: selling trapped boxes now at vesper!!
me: *buys one of those traped boxes, places in house, fills and locks down*
chum: *messing with newbs at wbb*
me: *goes gray in guards with house key and rune*
chum: *kills me, thinking he is a great thief ready to loot a house, takes rune and key*
me: *smiles*
chumpwned.JPG
irony at its finest.

edit- his notorious trapped box vendor no longer sells them. :wink:
I remember that. It was classic. Though I quit selling boxes cause no one was buying em :(