a tale from a new guy on the shard

Share stories and special moments with the community.
TheMorph

a tale from a new guy on the shard

Post by TheMorph »

I do not know if this is a tale that is worth sharing, but here goes anyways…

My first few hours here, am not sure i fim just unlucky or is this community just very arrogant?

Logged in, went to WBB started to chat with the first person there (was very nice to see that there were more than one person there!) I had a few questions am I'm new – he didn’t reply, he simply walked about a bit and recalled. Oh well, next guy .. he didn’t respond to my "Hello!" 3-4 times in a row, figured he was AFK, fair enough. But then he also recalled. I was like “Hmm can’t people see my text?” 3rd guy .. Hello! I’m new here, can I ask you a few questions? – omg he responded! “I’m not, and no you can’t ask questions” and he ran off. Tried a few more with no luck. Hmm gave up, sat up a macro and played some DOTA 2, after a match I checked in again tried to talk to two more, same experience they either ran off or recalled. I started to think if people here never heard of the manners. After yet another DOTA game I tried again! BONUS! I hit some dude who was very nice, some blacksmith which reminded me of ’97 where you could actually meet people that just did crafting. He was selling some ingots and crafting armor. Well I am new so I have 100g so couldn’t buy anything of him, I was hoping he could port me to Bucc so I could train hiding at the thieves guild. As mentioned he was a smith so he couldn’t gate. I greeted him fare thee well! And tried again, no luck, played more DOTA and checked in occasionally with no luck, simply no one responded to anything when I tried to talk to them…

So now I’m left with the impression that this shard is really active, but only full of jerks that only think about their own stuff, not caring to even talk to other people. Was I just unlucky and hit an event: "arrogant Wednesday?"

I’m still new here and have a few questions, could use a gate, maybe even a recall scroll or two …

Capitalist

Re: a tale from a new guy on the shard

Post by Capitalist »

WBB full of douches. Join NEW. Profit.
Denis the Menace wrote:Vega for me you are just exploiting the uosa system with your vanq charged spellreflect recall invis pink boobi pvp trammel style which never existed on osi, so stfu.
Jakob wrote:Regardless of douchebag, fair player or Vega.

TheMorph

Post by TheMorph »

Vega wrote:WBB full of douches. Join NEW. Profit.
what is NEW and how do i join it? :)

Chance

Post by Chance »

Sorry you got such a bad 1st impression of the server. The players who treated you poorly are just shooting themselves in the foot: retaining new players is a big part of sustaining population. At any rate:

Join IRC (the flash client linked on the UOSA pages is FUBAR atm, been having issues this week, I guess)

IRC Server: irc.wildirc.net
Port: 6667 (default)

/j #secondage

/j #new

Alternatively, look for anyone with the [NEW] or [OLD] tag in-game, they can probably get you in touch with the NEW guild elders. NEW is a guild dedicated to helping players get a foot-hold here on UOSA. Don't let the jerks get you down - some of the nicest players I've talked to here are also bloodthirsty killers, and some of the biggest wankers hide behind blue status.

I wish you the best of luck & hope you enjoy your time on UOSA!
~ Xigig ~ Mojoka ~ Shadowclan Orcs ~

Capitalist

Post by Capitalist »

Yeah, NEW is a guild dedicated to helping NEW players in every aspect.
Denis the Menace wrote:Vega for me you are just exploiting the uosa system with your vanq charged spellreflect recall invis pink boobi pvp trammel style which never existed on osi, so stfu.
Jakob wrote:Regardless of douchebag, fair player or Vega.

TheMorph

Post by TheMorph »

Chance wrote:Sorry you got such a bad 1st impression of the server. The players who treated you poorly are just shooting themselves in the foot: retaining new players is a big part of sustaining population. At any rate:

Join IRC (the flash client linked on the UOSA pages is FUBAR atm, been having issues this week, I guess)

/j #secondage

/j #new

Alternatively, look for anyone with the [NEW] or [OLD] tag in-game, they can probably get you in touch with the NEW guild elders. NEW is a guild dedicated to helping players get a foot-hold here on UOSA. Don't let the jerks get you down - some of the nicest players I've talked to here are also bloodthirsty killers, and some of the biggest wankers hide behind blue status.

I wish you the best of luck & hope you enjoy your time on UOSA!
Arh IRC, totally forgot about that - ye ill try joining that friday and see :) Thanks again guys.

Greenhell

Post by Greenhell »

TheMorph wrote: So now I’m left with the impression that this shard is really active, but only full of jerks that only think about their own stuff, not caring to even talk to other people.
Close! Think of it as going to prison. Most us aren't that nice, and we have a history of being douchebags.

nubnub
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by nubnub »

Perform a social test... go to any-bank-USA and approach folks doing their business with the same dialogue. Let me know how many stop everything they're doing to talk to you, how many ignore you, etc. My assumption, it's not the shard, it's people in general.

Jill Stihl
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Jill Stihl »

If I'm approached by a 'new' looking player at Brit bank I will, sometimes wrongly, tend to assume they are a theif or other ne'r do well. It's all about the location.

I don't think you did experience the typical UOSA player's attitude, you just needed be in a different place :)

Lambo
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Lambo »

This is surprising , UOSA is the only free server I have played where people are more interested in standing around socializing or talking in a house as opposed to actually playing the game or pvping.

I would say 40-50% of the forum and irc population NEVER plays they just come here to socialize.
Buying Charged Hallys/Bards
Buying +20 Power and above Hallys
Buying Reflect Items 30 Charges and above

nubnub
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by nubnub »

Lambo wrote:This is surprising , UOSA is the only free server I have played where people are more interested in standing around socializing or talking in a house as opposed to actually playing the game or pvping.

I would say 40-50% of the forum and irc population NEVER plays they just come here to socialize.
Socializing, collaborating, social-engineering, etc are not aspects of playing an mmorpg?

Light Shade
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Light Shade »

No talking and social interaction!
...MUST
...KILL
...FIGHT
...and miss out on 90% that this game actually offers. :P
[20:08] <@Kaivan> We have a ridable Maahes in Green Acres.
[10:00] <TheBreadman> leeds did a takeover on secondage
[10:00] <@Derrick> hax

Tom: Get bad bro

TheMorph

Post by TheMorph »

Dunno how to get that mIRC to work .. when i join the server seems empty .. so dunno how it works .. wrote

but when i hoin #secondage noone is there ...

Boondock_Saint
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Boondock_Saint »

Sounds like NEW would be great for you.. they like to whine and complain. ho ho.
[quote="Downs"]All the cool kids saw your wizard tears. [/quote]

[21:32] <[Rose]> scurvy is the new chumbucket

Lambo
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Lambo »

Light Shade wrote:No talking and social interaction!
...MUST
...KILL
...FIGHT
...and miss out on 90% that this game actually offers. :P
There's no reason to get defensive considering this is the only free server around that put pvpers in the vast minority hence the reason the server is so successful.

I just think the pvp mentality is incredibly lame as a whole and I want to complain about it.
Buying Charged Hallys/Bards
Buying +20 Power and above Hallys
Buying Reflect Items 30 Charges and above