The Coast Line

Report any bugs you discover on the server here
Wonko the Sane

The Coast Line

Post by Wonko the Sane »

On my boat I sometimes see this. A bit annoying. I was hugging the coast with my boat, and backing up. Then when I could go no further I said "left one" and the coast bugged out, as I'd seen before. Once this happens you can't go "right one" it just says you can't move. I noticed this about a year ago and never posted. I'm sorry if this has already been brought up, but if so, it still doesn't seem to be working.

I happened to notice on UOAM that it's near the 'server line' but we don't have server lines do we?
Attachments
Manuel Labour_6-14_21.54.jpg

Populus

Re: The Coast Line

Post by Populus »

You teleport to the other side of the world when crossing the server line. So the mountain is actually on the other side of the map, at the same time it's next to you.
ImageImageImage
[cA]

Wonko the Sane

Post by Wonko the Sane »

Ah of course. Still, shouldn't behave this way.

chainsoar

Post by chainsoar »

Yeah, it really should. We do, in fact, have server lines and in that screenshot you are hugging one of the longest clear lines on the map. At the location your screenshot shows, the other side of the line has no space in which a boat can fit. The line cuts directly across the tip of a rocky outcropping protruding from the cliffs.

Here is a visual representation I made because I felt like it, where each full block on the grid represents a tile in which you can move, red is the server line, and the happy little sailboat is you.

Braden wrote:I was getting ready to type a serious reply to this post until I saw who posted it.
[Uhh] Eo wrote:If there is one thing I am a fan of, it is exploring foreign holes.

Wonko the Sane

Post by Wonko the Sane »

The graphical glitch in my screenshot should not happen even if the overall behaviour is correct.

Populus

Post by Populus »

Wonko the Sane wrote:The graphical glitch in my screenshot should not happen even if the overall behaviour is correct.
Why should it not happen?
ImageImageImage
[cA]

chainsoar

Post by chainsoar »

I'm telling you it should. When you cross a major server line, the client only renders objects and terrain on your side of the line. That's normal behaviour. Try sailing the line south of avatar isle some time as closely as possible, you will at one point find yourself sailing past some trees that are actually located in T2A. That's a glitch, quite possibly an era accurate one. What you're talking about is normal behaviour, that every fisherman, mib hunter and pirate on this server has seen so many times on a daily basis that they're used to it.

This, I would imagine, is why the majority of server lines are located in the middle of the ocean to begin with, and where they are not, they bisect impassable mountains and rock formations.
Braden wrote:I was getting ready to type a serious reply to this post until I saw who posted it.
[Uhh] Eo wrote:If there is one thing I am a fan of, it is exploring foreign holes.

Faust

Post by Faust »

When did server lines get implemented here?

chainsoar

Post by chainsoar »

I don't know, but I've been experiencing them ever since I started my pirating runs about 2 or 3 months ago. I didn't do a hell of a lot of sailing prior to that, but I've definitely encountered them at least once before I started making life difficult for fishermen.

Populus

Post by Populus »

They are not server lines, it's the end of the world literally.
ImageImageImage
[cA]

Return to “In Game Bug Reports”