Reactive Armour Bug

Report any bugs you discover on the server here
Roser
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Reactive Armour Bug

Post by Roser »

Hello! I have strong reason to believe that Reactive Armour is changing incoming physical damage into outgoing magical damage and is thus not being effected by armored targets.

I recently witnessed Reactive Armour doing approximately 15-20 damage to myself while wearing the most powerful armor in the game (invulnerability platemail). I actually died from my own hit. I was using a very powerful weapon (+25 vanq double axe) on an unarmored mage with RA on. Keep in mind, a nice magical halberd very rarely hits me for over 10 damage when wearing invulnerability plate, in fact it usually does about 6-8 damage.

Should Reactive Armour be reflecting physical damage as physical or magical? And what does the code say it is actually doing right now?

Skip to 0:15 in this video to see this happening. You will have to pause it frame by frame to see what is going on.

Roser
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Re: Reactive Armour Bug

Post by Roser »

I just did a quick test of this and it is very easy to see that the damage reflected by RA is indeed magical damage.

Capitalist

Post by Capitalist »

let them fix paralyze first please
Denis the Menace wrote:Vega for me you are just exploiting the uosa system with your vanq charged spellreflect recall invis pink boobi pvp trammel style which never existed on osi, so stfu.
Jakob wrote:Regardless of douchebag, fair player or Vega.

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

Reactive armor actually does typeless damage. In the demo, there are two different functions that pass calculated values for damage from the scripts to the core, the doDamageType and doDamage functions. The demo iteration of reactive armor utilizes the doDamage function, which doesn't specify a type of damage that's done. So far as we know, this makes the damage effectively immune to armor.

Now, there are 4 patches that refer to reactive armor between 1998 and 2000, and one refers to an unspecified bug that was fixed with relation to the spell. But without any more concrete information, we have no way to determine if the behavior seen in the demo is the bug in question, or whether there were background changes or simply a different bug was fixed. Either way, our best information right now indicates that damage reflected by reactive armor does not have a damage type, and should not be reduced by armor.
UOSA Historian and former staff member: August 11, 2008 - June 19, 2016

Useful links for researching T2A Mechanics

Stratics - UO Latest Updates - Newsgroup 1 - Noctalis - UO98.org

Roser
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Roser »

I still think this is broken... I just did 29% damage to myself using a 25 vanq longspear.... It may have been more damage than that as I died from my own blow... lol