So I started a Tailor...

Report any bugs you discover on the server here
Fryguy|M|

So I started a Tailor...

Post by Fryguy|M| »

I start my tailor with 50 tailoring 49 tinkering and 1 Magery.

I get my mage char to gate him to Delucia, I go and harvest some wool, and get 8 bolts of cloth out of it. That's 400 pieces.

I use this cloth to make Fancy Shirts, which back in the day sold regular price 28 gold, and 10 percent more for exceptional quality.

They take 8 cloth to make, so i was able to make 50 shirts being as I was at 50 and had little to no chance for failure. There's three NPC's in the Del Tailor building, and only one NPC will buy clothing from you. upon first sale, I only got 10 gold per shirt, I sold the 50 shirts and made 500 gold. I should have gotten more than 1400 gold depending on how many exceptional's I had. At any rate, I go to buy some bolts of cloth...well with 500 gold, you can only buy 5 bolts of cloth...which is 200 pieces. I use these 200 pieces and am able to make only 25 shirts. I sell these shirts...the vendor only offers 6 gp each. I make 150 gold.

Notice the trend?

After the third sale the NPC wouldnt even buy them anymore.

My point is, back in the day, a tailor could make a reasonable living just buying bolts of cloth, (which not all were 100gp, some styles you could get for 50gp) and making his clothing and selling it to the NPCs. How is a tailor expected to start off when he has no chance of turning a profit, unless you go and harvest wool off the 8 spawning sheep in delucia, which don't even regrow the wool back after waiting for over 3.5 hours( I ended up killing them all hoping they would respawn faster than they regrew)

Here's a link to Way Back Machine page of uo.stratics.com Tailoring Cloth price page.

http://web.archive.org/web/199909101118 ... m/tail.htm

Teknix
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: So I started a Tailor...

Post by Teknix »

if you are looking for a lot of spawning cotton, go to cove and then occlo. the cotton fields in occlo are great, and cove is always has it if you farm it and get the spawn going.

as for the selling of goods, i can kinda relate. i would go around towns finding which blacksmith would buy my goods at the highest price. they all would buy at the same price (36 or 44 i believe for exceptional ringsleeves), but sometimes a npc would only buy at 20gp.
chumbucket wrote:
GomerPyle wrote:chum RPs a thief
Roleplays?!?

Fryguy|M|

Post by Fryguy|M| »

Yeah, it's crazy. I hope we can fix this and somehow improve the player-npc economy so that tailors can get enough money to get started. It seems as if the NPC buy ratio isnt really set correctly to the small population count. I'm sure the players arent gonna buy my non gm clothing when they can just use newbie cloths...nah mean?

And thanks for the tip on the wool, maybe i can score a bit of gold that way.

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

stratics wrote:All prices listed are approximates--they are subject to change due to economic conditions, etc. When possible, the prices listed assume that there are 10 of the particular item in stock.
The OSI T2A era economy was extremely complex and is not entirely replicated here. Each town had a "inventory" of goods which determined the buy price for items, and the sell price varied as well according to a complex formula.

On SecondAge, each vendor will individually set his buy price, and whether or not he will buy particular goods at all, according to how many he has in stock. If a vendor is overstocked and is not buying, or it buying at a price lower than what is desired, you may have to shop your good around some.

The biggest driver for this system is to reduce vendor farming, in which you can simply sit right in the same shop and buy and sell goods all day long, previously racing up extreme profit in quite a short time. Poison scroll crafting are renowned for this vulnerability.

Thanks much for the link. I'll check the Tailor vendors to see that their base prices correspond to this list, and we can do some adjustment to the inventory system if needed. You may have better luck (as suggested) in another town with more tailors.

~|~Damaja
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by ~|~Damaja »

I bought my first house on uo by tailoring alone. I spent 2 1/2 weeks straight tailoring fancy shirts in moonlgow for the 42k or whatever it was. I always got the same price for my fancy shirts. I would sell and sell until the two vendors didnt buy anymore. Then have to wait for the next respawn which they would buy more shirts again. Same amount same price... The respawn timer is what stopped alot of people being able to sit all day and npc vendor sell. This should be a good way for people to get started making money IMO. The vendors respawn every 45mins-60 mins? so you can sell each vendor $1500 worth of fancy shirts per spawn time? I can't see that breaking economy but instead helping people get started.

I did this on greatlake in the moonglow tailor shop only.

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

Yea, my first house came from fancy shirts as well. I worked it out of Brit though, running back and forth between Brit and Cove was enough time for the respawn in the brit tailors, and more tailors in brit too, I can't remember there being a lot of competition there. I honestly can't remember the details on the pricing, but that stratics page does indicate prices changing based on economy, which corresponds with the info in my playguide. I'm willing to make changes to the system to be more accurate. Vendor sell prices were known to fluctuate as well on OSI, they currently do not.

Fryguy|M|

Post by Fryguy|M| »

I remember selling selling multiple rounds of 50 item per sell to the vendors. First round would be 28 to 30 depending on the Exceptional mark. Then it would drop by one gold each round of selling the 50 items. until around 25 where it would stay until the vendor filled up on that item. Here, the vendor stopped after 3 rounds of 50. Starting at 10gp. then to 6 gp, then to 4gp, and refusing to buy thereafter.

Now, I COULD have gotten to the vendor when it was at it's 10gp mark, and maybe other people before me had gotten the 28 gp amount...but Ive been in Delucia all morning and havent seen anyone, and if the respawn time is 1 hr I should have seen a price increase.

nubblie

Post by nubblie »

I know this shard is attempting to make a T2a replica and the economy was a major factor of it. During the start of UO the economy was more player to NPC based unlike the current OSI economy where its more player to player based and being a smaller server the players could use the actual T2a economy, and we could use it for T2a accuracy. I feel this is a good suggestion for the advancement of the shard.

**Edit**

As for the prices, UOstratics does have all the T2a pricing for all the items not just tailoring items.

**Edit**

Alex21
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Alex21 »

nubblie wrote:I know this shard is attempting to make a T2a replica and the economy was a major factor of it. During the start of UO the economy was more player to NPC based unlike the current OSI economy where its more player to player based and being a smaller server the players could use the actual T2a economy, and we could use it for T2a accuracy. I feel this is a good suggestion for the advancement of the shard.

**Edit**

As for the prices, UOstratics does have all the T2a pricing for all the items not just tailoring items.

**Edit**
link?
The First Player Of UO Second Age.

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

I'll increase to vendor buy quantities as soon as possible

nubblie

Post by nubblie »

link?

Smithy - http://web.archive.org/web/199910131311 ... m/blac.htm
Example - Cutlass currently sells for 12gp. T2a They sold for 27.

Bow Crafting - http://web.archive.org/web/199910131454 ... m/bowy.htm

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

Derrick wrote:I'll increase to vendor buy quantities as soon as possible
Major changes were made to the way Vendors calculate prices and inventory in this morning's patch. Please let me know how it's working.

nubblie

Post by nubblie »

Derrick wrote:
Derrick wrote:I'll increase to vendor buy quantities as soon as possible
Major changes were made to the way Vendors calculate prices and inventory in this morning's patch. Please let me know how it's working.
cutlass still sells for 12gld

BloodyBandage

Post by BloodyBandage »

Fryguy|M| wrote:My point is, back in the day, a tailor could make a reasonable living just buying bolts of cloth, (which not all were 100gp, some styles you could get for 50gp) and making his clothing and selling it to the NPCs. How is a tailor expected to start off when he has no chance of turning a profit, unless you go and harvest wool off the 8 spawning sheep in delucia, which don't even regrow the wool back after waiting for over 3.5 hours( I ended up killing them all hoping they would respawn faster than they regrew)
You don't honestly think being able to buy cloth and cut it up should justify a profit do you? There was also a major bug in this era that allowed me to get perfect stats, but y would we want it..just for accuracy? Anyway, if you allow people to make money macroing cutting shirts, and just selling them back we are going to have more problems; you will see people just macroing this all day. The Tailor shop should not be turned into an ATM....however you can go and kill things and spend that gold on cloth in which case you don't have to wait for sheep respawn..then when you get a little higher kill dragons and such for leather. I liken this suggestion to resource gathering afk.

alatar

Post by alatar »

BloodyBandage wrote:
Fryguy|M| wrote:My point is, back in the day, a tailor could make a reasonable living just buying bolts of cloth, (which not all were 100gp, some styles you could get for 50gp) and making his clothing and selling it to the NPCs. How is a tailor expected to start off when he has no chance of turning a profit, unless you go and harvest wool off the 8 spawning sheep in delucia, which don't even regrow the wool back after waiting for over 3.5 hours( I ended up killing them all hoping they would respawn faster than they regrew)
I liken this suggestion to resource gathering afk.
#1 PK Guild on T2A
ironfistmax wrote:Alatar is one of the best PvPers I have known. I have played UO since 1998 and every free shard known to man. It's not questionable whether he is good or not.
Hemperor wrote:Alatar is a douche bag but at least he and cr3w would fight everyone.