So I started a Tailor...

Report any bugs you discover on the server here
brandonsantacruz

Re: So I started a Tailor...

Post by brandonsantacruz »

I don't see any reason to be a tailor at this server, or at least any reason to pursue it beyond starting a noob w/50 skill and leaving it at that. The skill gain for tailoring is very slow and you lose money when tailoring in town. If you get ahold of a lot of wool and sell the shirts or whatever, you can get some money, sure. Why bother with that when you can just kill a few mobs? Add to that the t2a system of these secondary combat skills, anatomy and eval intel and you crowd out any reason to have a lot of other skills, such as tailoring, on your character at all. :|

alatar

Post by alatar »

I have a gm tailor and I find the skill pretty useless myself.
#1 PK Guild on T2A
ironfistmax wrote:Alatar is one of the best PvPers I have known. I have played UO since 1998 and every free shard known to man. It's not questionable whether he is good or not.
Hemperor wrote:Alatar is a douche bag but at least he and cr3w would fight everyone.

Sauron

Post by Sauron »

Aye, Taming and Blacksmithy were the main money makers during t2a. Derrick is right though, Vendors could get overstocked and understocked and that influenced sell and buy prices. This was actually something they added so that the player economy would pick up and it worked. :wink:

brandonsantacruz

alatar wrote:I have a gm tailor and I find the skill pretty useless myself.
I was going for a dexxer who can make his own studded leather armor, but the dex losses from armor aren't enough to make it worth while. I'm just going to have a smith make all of my equipment. Is there a way that being less than a GM at a trade skill can make some money?
Btw, I heard someone say that taming was a big money maker. How so?

TwoTon

Post by TwoTon »

by walking into dungeons and saying all kill and targeting strong monsters with much loot :D

Lothain

Post by Lothain »

Polar bear sales are way up, too. =P

getan

Post by getan »

It seems to me that the method that vendors buy things is working as it should, which by design makes you goto different cities to sell your stuff. I do think that the prices for tailoring could be higher.

The other problem that I have noticed, is that the spools that the vendors sell are a lot more expensive then I rememeber them being. I recall them being 5-6g per spool instead of 18.

So if you buy the 5 spools of thread and hand make the bolt, you end up paying 90g instead 100. If the spools were even 8g a piece, it would only cost you 40g a bolt.

While this makes, creating the bolts by hand cheaper it would be held in check because the vendors only sell the spools in limited supply.

Im not sure if there is a skill check for making bolts, but maybe if it was in game we can implement it.

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

getan wrote:It seems to me that the method that vendors buy things is working as it should, which by design makes you goto different cities to sell your stuff. I do think that the prices for tailoring could be higher.

The other problem that I have noticed, is that the spools that the vendors sell are a lot more expensive then I rememeber them being. I recall them being 5-6g per spool instead of 18.

So if you buy the 5 spools of thread and hand make the bolt, you end up paying 90g instead 100. If the spools were even 8g a piece, it would only cost you 40g a bolt.

While this makes, creating the bolts by hand cheaper it would be held in check because the vendors only sell the spools in limited supply.

Im not sure if there is a skill check for making bolts, but maybe if it was in game we can implement it.
Thanks. We intend to get all pricing accurate, we were presented an era accurate price list, it's taken us longer to implement that we expected but look for corrections soon.

Fryguy|M|

Post by Fryguy|M| »

BloodyBandage wrote:
Fryguy|M| wrote:My point is, back in the day, a tailor could make a reasonable living just buying bolts of cloth, (which not all were 100gp, some styles you could get for 50gp) and making his clothing and selling it to the NPCs. How is a tailor expected to start off when he has no chance of turning a profit, unless you go and harvest wool off the 8 spawning sheep in delucia, which don't even regrow the wool back after waiting for over 3.5 hours( I ended up killing them all hoping they would respawn faster than they regrew)
You don't honestly think being able to buy cloth and cut it up should justify a profit do you? There was also a major bug in this era that allowed me to get perfect stats, but y would we want it..just for accuracy? Anyway, if you allow people to make money macroing cutting shirts, and just selling them back we are going to have more problems; you will see people just macroing this all day. The Tailor shop should not be turned into an ATM....however you can go and kill things and spend that gold on cloth in which case you don't have to wait for sheep respawn..then when you get a little higher kill dragons and such for leather. I liken this suggestion to resource gathering afk.
Era accuracy. So. Yes. I do, actually. Your'e using your skill and selling the item. That's why they put in vendors that sell bolts of cloth, so u can buy it, make an item, and sell it. Sure you don't make AS MUCH profit as you would from making your own bolt but you can make some. And you could NEVER just 'do it all day'. The vendors stopped buying.

nubblie

Post by nubblie »

I have to agree with fryguy on this. I found a link on stratics containing the buying prices and return on the items. So he has the point that it is era accurate.

Link:

http://web.archive.org/web/200003032040 ... m/tail.htm

brandonsantacruz

This is much more like what I remember. Short of making some great macro to constantly churn fancy shirts while you are afk, you could make a modest uo living tailoring

RoboGrater

Post by RoboGrater »

I was wondering if we could get an update on the pricing situation as it relates to Tailoring... It seems to me that the tailoring pricing is still quite a bit off.

Cromwell
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Cromwell »

RoboGrater wrote:I was wondering if we could get an update on the pricing situation as it relates to Tailoring... It seems to me that the tailoring pricing is still quite a bit off.
Fancy shirts still get 10gp. Will the prices be changed to reflect those on stratics?

I'm a tailor and can't make a gp..
"The Finest Arms, Armor, and Service. UBB."

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

I've been working on repricing all vendor items for accuracy over the last couple days. There are a lot of items so this is going to be some work, but I hope to have all prices accurate this week (hopfully early this week)

Cromwell
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Cromwell »

*Eagerly awaits*
"The Finest Arms, Armor, and Service. UBB."