So I started a Tailor...

Report any bugs you discover on the server here
Derrick

Re: So I started a Tailor...

Post by Derrick »

Yeah, i'm with you. This is a bigger job than I'd anticipated. Still working on it.

Kay

Post by Kay »

Tailor spools are still selling for too much. Is this still being worked on? The thread hasn't been updated in a while.

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

The spool price is based on 1999 stratics pages, I've not better information on the price at this time
"The text in this article or section may be incoherent or very hard to understand, and should be reworded if the intended meaning can be determined."

Teg

Post by Teg »

Derrick wrote:The spool price is based on 1999 stratics pages, I've not better information on the price at this time
So, here's the actual timeline. I don't know what the prices were before, but in February of 1998, several changes were made to tailoring resources. The patch notes from Feb. 27, 1998 say:
# There are some changes to the raw materials of tailoring that go along with their new stackable nature:

* A bolt of cloth will be 50 yards of cloth, cost around 50gp, and weigh 5 stones.
* Folded cloth, cut cloth, etc, will now be one yard, cost around 1gp, and weigh 1/10th of a stone.
* Both are stackable.
* When tailoring on a bolt, any remaining yardage will be changed into a stack of folded cloth yards. An example: Tailor Joe makes a shirt that requires 8 cloth from a stack of 5 bolts. It will deduct the 8 from the 50 yards from one bolt. That remaining 42 yard will then be converted into cut cloth (ie. a stack of 42 yards of cut cloth). That will leave tailor Joe with 4 full bolts and a stack of cloth (42 yards).
(This also points out another discrepancy I noticed; you're supposed to be able to directly use bolts of cloth with a sewing kit, with the remaining cloth ending up in your pack as cut cloth.)

Creating bolts from thread was a bit cheaper (but the difference was small enough I'd often just buy the bolts rather than go hunting for thread). I'm pretty sure 8-9gp per thread is about the right amount.

And August 26, 1999 was Fancy Shirt Armageddon Day:
# The cost of thread, wool, bolts of cloth, folded cloth, flax and cotton has been increased.
The resulting prices are what we have now on UOSA.

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

Thanks.
I'll get the crafting directly from bolts implemented soon.
"The text in this article or section may be incoherent or very hard to understand, and should be reworded if the intended meaning can be determined."

han350z

Post by han350z »

[quote="~|~Damaja"]I bought my first house on uo by tailoring alone. I spent 2 1/2 weeks straight tailoring fancy shirts in moonlgow for the 42k or whatever it was.

Thats funny.....I bought my first house from stealing a rune and a key to a rich guys house and looting all his stuff then taking his 50k he had on the table to buy a house to fit all his stuff in it.

Point is there are plenty of ways you can get a house. Some involve thinking beyond standing in a tailor shop for 2.5 weeks.

No offense.

Just saying there are a lot of other ways to explore this game and one shouldn't settle on the path of least resistance....
anal_Leakage

nightshark
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by nightshark »

Derrick wrote:The spool price is based on 1999 stratics pages, I've not better information on the price at this time
I used to play a nub (50 tailoring) tailor character on OSI during 1999 for easy gold.

Spools were 3gp, the profit on fancy shirts was huge.
http://uo.stratics.com/content/professi ... ilor.shtml
In his 'infinite wisdom' (an oxymoron), The Great God OSI through his avatar Lord British, has decreed that the cost of raw materials such as thread, bolts, etc., will be raised forthwith. Consequently, thread has gone from 3 gp/spool to 21 gp/spool! A seven-fold increase
Spools here are something ridiculous like the 21gp stated there, not era accurate at all, tailoring is practically worthless (leather armor is worthless during T2A).

That article is very old. It may be possible to use "time machine" to find it's exact creation date. The only time I ever made a tailor was 1999. I searched for this thread to see if anyone else had brought up the 3gp spools. Apparently not. I can say without a doubt my memory does not fail me on 3gp spools pre UO:R (why the hell else would I have known spools were 3gp?).

Note that the article has been edited to some extent after UO:R (the section about arcane gems), with this footnote.

* The author wishes to acknowledge the contribution of The Bear (who composed the original Tailoring Essay) and Pfredd Mudd, GM Tailor.
<green> grats pink and co. .... the 3 of you f---ing scrubs together can blow up a bard. IMPRESSIVE

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

I spent quite a bit of time this morning in the archives trying to pin this change do a date. It's 3gp in the demo, and in the 2002 stratics Tailor essay it has this note about the increase to 21gp. So some time between 1998 and 2002 :/

web.archive is running really slow.

These pages would provide answers I think if I could get them to load:
http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://uo. ... tailor.htm

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

Well, I finally looked in the right place.
http://update.uo.com/design_25.html

The change was mentioned in a patch note:
UO Live Access Patch (Aug. 26) [1999] wrote: Red players cannot insta-log from houses.
All spawned chests will be locked and trapped.
The cost of thread, wool, bolts of cloth, folded cloth, flax and cotton has been increased.
The following skills will not unhide you when they are used: Detect Hidden, Item Identification, Anatomy, Arms Lore, Animal Lore, Evaluate Intellect, Forensics Evaluation, and Poisoning.
We intend to honor this patch. This is a good bump on fixing red's auto-logging from houses which we currently allow.

Sandro

Post by Sandro »

Lol does that apply to reds who aren't flagged as an aggressor / criminal as well?
[14:17] <UOSAPlayer4056> cr3w guild is a joke. Ran by staff members, multi client pking, this shards a joke and a half.
Blaise wrote:Man, you guys are really stepping up your game now that you're not living in the shadow of cr3w

MatronDeWinter
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by MatronDeWinter »

Sandro wrote:Lol does that apply to reds who aren't flagged as an aggressor / criminal as well?
It should.

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

Sandro wrote:Lol does that apply to reds who aren't flagged as an aggressor / criminal as well?
Yes, criminals can insta-log in houses. The heat of combat delay for any player is 30 seconds if you are an aggressor trying to log in a house you are friended to.

This change will prevent murderers from insta logging in houses, they can still insta log in inns though.

Sorry for derailing this topic.

Kraarug
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kraarug »

Derrick wrote:Well, I finally looked in the right place.

UO Live Access Patch (Aug. 26) [1999] wrote: Red players cannot insta-log from houses.
The cost of thread, wool, bolts of cloth, folded cloth, flax and cotton has been increased.
The following skills will not unhide you when they are used: Detect Hidden, Item Identification, Anatomy, Arms Lore, Animal Lore, Evaluate Intellect, Forensics Evaluation, and Poisoning.
We intend to honor this patch. This is a good bump on fixing red's auto-logging from houses which we currently allow.
Derrick, don't over work yourself. Take your time with this materials price increase patch. ;)

How's that Honey-Do list coming?

nightshark
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by nightshark »

Kraarug wrote:
Derrick wrote:Well, I finally looked in the right place.

Derrick, don't over work yourself. Take your time with this materials price increase patch. ;)

How's that Honey-Do list coming?
I assumed this was a decrease patch. Materials are currently matching UO:R prices, so it's definitely not an increase patch.
<green> grats pink and co. .... the 3 of you f---ing scrubs together can blow up a bard. IMPRESSIVE

Germ

Post by Germ »

I think what Derrick was indicating is that the materials price increase is already active on UOSA, and is going to remain in place because it appears the patch for the increase was within the target time-frame.

Germ