Macing

Moderator: Support Moderators

Nefarity

Re: Macing

Post by Nefarity »

Lao Tzume wrote:I'm probably doing something wrong. I may just ditch a dexxer for now.

I find myself pondering; why not allow every one 1 char that has 7 skills they can pick to max out? Stats as well. That way they can just get started and start enjoying the game instead of waiting for their character to "cook" via macroing.

I realized it's not "era accurate" but neither is AFK macroing. This has probably been mused before.

Can I really complain about something that is free though? No I cannot. Stop being a dick Lao.
o.O

Dude, if you don't want to macro, why don't you just raise your skills like back in the days? Kill animals, sell their hides, and when you're at 60/60 weapon skill + tactics you buy some armor and a GM weapon and go the harpy room in Cove. You can easily make some good money there and raise your skill to the mid 80s fairly quickly. Then go ahead and buy a silver weapon and farm bone knights till GM.

It's really not that hard. And struggling to get a foothold on this server is part of the fun. At least for me...

Lao Tzume

Post by Lao Tzume »

I knew it wouldnt be a popular thought to voice :)

That's the thing though. I already did all that back in the day that way. I dont have the endurance to do something that arduous again.

I just dont see the difference between automating skill gains and just saying "Here you are. Go have fun. Remember the old days."

There may be one. It's just my opinion. You definitely dont have to agree :)

Nefarity

Post by Nefarity »

Lao Tzume wrote:I knew it wouldnt be a popular thought to voice :)

That's the thing though. I already did all that back in the day that way. I dont have the endurance to do something that arduous again.

I just dont see the difference between automating skill gains and just saying "Here you are. Go have fun. Remember the old days."

There may be one. It's just my opinion. You definitely dont have to agree :)
But that's the thing about UO. Building a char can actually be fun, at least in my opinion. Say, have you every played on a shard where what you suggest is actually possible?

You don't have to believe me, but just "getting" a 7x GM char completely takes the fun out of this game. Ultima Online is all about struggling. That's why everything you have is worth so much. Because 1) You put a lot of work into it and 2) You can lose virtually everything.

If what you have is worth nothing to you, be it a character or items, you won't care about losing it. If you don't care about losing it, you don't care about dying. If you don't care about dying, you might as well play WoW.

Just my 2 cents and some food for thought maybe. I certainly don't want this to become a longwinded discussion =)

Lao Tzume

Post by Lao Tzume »

That makes sense.

To me I have more fun in the end game. The progression really isnt what I'm into.

I have played on a server that did that. RunUO did that if you contributed to their server. It was sort of nice. But thats taboo talk from what I've been reading around here.

Like I said I'm not saying policy should be changed based on what one person wants. Just musing.

Mikanele

Post by Mikanele »

I have a sword dexxer with parry guess its a tank more than dexxer and looking to make a med dexxer he would be for pvp would mace work for a med dexxer or should I just go swords.

Oggog

Post by Oggog »

Concerning sparring with a hireling..

I've tried all of the ways listed above to get the hireling to stop attacking me, to no avail. I can manage to heal both with a second character but it would be easier if I could just make him stop lol. Am I still doing it wrong or is this just how it is?

He doesnt immediately attack, but as soon as I land a hit on him he attacks back.

TheManWithNoName

Post by TheManWithNoName »

the easiest method is to train this in a house. block the npc in with tables or something, say all guard me so he is grey to you, stand next to him then attack. make sure you stay in war mode, take one step back, say all follow me, then have an alt invis you. wait a second then step back into the npc. he will no longer attack you back.
IRC: NoName

Martell

Post by Martell »

Oggog wrote:Concerning sparring with a hireling..

I've tried all of the ways listed above to get the hireling to stop attacking me, to no avail. I can manage to heal both with a second character but it would be easier if I could just make him stop lol. Am I still doing it wrong or is this just how it is?

He doesnt immediately attack, but as soon as I land a hit on him he attacks back.
Become invisible by one of these three methods:

1-Hide
2-Have someone cast Invisibility on you
3-Go to a insta-log place (inn,tavern or your house) when you attack him, logout, log back and say all guard me so he comes back to you.

If you do one of these right, he will stop attacking and you can both heal / attack him for gains.

Oggog

Post by Oggog »

Thanks for replies.

I asked someone who was doing this in town, strangely not afk, how to get it to work.

He said have the hireling guard you, then tell the hireling to kill you, then run a screen.

For whatever reason that little detail, having the hireling "all kill" me as opposed to me attacking him worked. Maybe that was listed somewhere in the several pages of the post but I missed it.

Serapis

Post by Serapis »

Martell wrote:
Oggog wrote:Concerning sparring with a hireling..

Become invisible by one of these three methods:

1-Hide
2-Have someone cast Invisibility on you
3-Go to a insta-log place (inn,tavern or your house) when you attack him, logout, log back and say all guard me so he comes back to you.

If you do one of these right, he will stop attacking and you can both heal / attack him for gains.
I did exactly this. Cast invis on myself after attacking it and then came visible again. Walked up to it and was still attacking it but it was not attacking me. :)

archaicsubrosa77
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by archaicsubrosa77 »

You use less bandaids when you don't macro there is more then enough things to beat on, I can understand wanting to raise healing though...thats when you run around the desert of compassion and let them sting you a lot after you get past 60 :lol:

Heck you can work music and provo to 50 and get two humanoids that can be healed with bandaids to fight each other heal them and heal yourself at the same time as you hit one. That is a sure way to work healing faster by healing three people in one macro. If one dies lead the other to another. You will flag grey though so unless you are in a house I would not afk it.

You can drop the skills after you are done. You could even do it with 30 of each if you bought the skills it just takes a few tries. (on a dexxer 40 mage is good for most things so this actually is a good secondary skill combo at low levels without sacrificing the 7th skill...yeah you fail a bit but not always. It can benefit in both pvm and field combat pvp)

Using gargoyles you can also raise resist.... just keep in mind some creatures are healed by vet not healing, I am pretty sure gargoyles use healing but I only did this with elementals and they use vet...as do wisps if you have the means to get two wisps in your house. One on one they are deadly ninja sprites :lol: But wisps can give you resist gains as they cast high circle at the get go.

A peacer provoker bard is good to have when you are training...peace raises fast as does music, you can start out with 50 provo and have a real easy means to train real fast. 50 entice might be good too just to lure non aggressive kick puppies. Just delete the character when all your pvp pvm guys are done if you have no use for it later.
Derrick wrote:I wish it were possible that a mount could be whacked while you are riding it, but to the best of my knowedge it is not.

Acid Rain GnR

Post by Acid Rain GnR »

Im still doing something wrong....
1. Hire
2. Attack Him
3. Hide
4. Say All guard me

Ive rotated all 3 of 2 thru 4, but the same thing still happens..the second I hide although i stay in war mode we both stop attacking...I can only reengage if i attack him, at which point he attacks back..not a newb, so what am I missing?

Pirul

Post by Pirul »

What I've done, and has worked great:

Attack
With OUT tabbing out, run about a screen away
run back beside him

If he's still attacking you: run a couple of tiles farther. If you're not attacking: start again but run a couple of tiles closer.
<ian> 2 chicks making out are not gay