Thief / Dungeon chest looter char help

Moderator: Support Moderators

iamreallysquall

Re: Thief / Dungeon chest looter char help

Post by iamreallysquall »

Caswallon wrote:You do NOT need either telekinesis, or remove trap to safely open dungeon chests, simply move one tile away from the chest and open, you will not take any damage from the trap, remove trap is a waste of 100 points. If you have stealth its simply a case of moving away, if not just cast invis then move 1 tile and target yourself before opening the chest.

Its been this way since I started here, I keep repeating this, people keep claiming you need remove trap or telekinesis, you do not need either.
truth
Pirul wrote:I particularly like meditation in a template that has little/no fighting skills. You'll find your waits between gates/recalls are much shorter, and you'll be able to paralyse pesky mobs and such after or before a gate.
more truth

hide ,stealth,lockpicking,mage,med,steal,wrestle
<mistercherry> i bet ide beat yer asss in scrabble
<Atraxi> as soon as i find the noobs i stole from
<Jamison> lelouche your taunts will be your downfall

archaicsubrosa77
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by archaicsubrosa77 »

With remove trap, you won't fight "pesky mobs" at all...nor would you draw any unwanted attention from any players nearby when the trap goes boom. Alot of us do have sound on.

Say when you gate uninvited to a treasure hunting party...or ghost in with an alt and have a general idea where to recall to on your looter.

The first spawn is unearthed with the chest, you stealth right over...pick the lock and remove the trap when the treasure hunter(s) are dealing with the spawn and get first dibs on any treasure.

Lots of uses for remove trap. And I am saying this fully aware you can open a "dungeon" chest a tile away. Can you do it in hotspots while battle is going on without being noticed, or inside a house where the owner may at any time become aware of you and you want in that tinker trapped chest is my question.

Lockpicking
Detect Hidden
Remove Trap
Hide
Stealth
Meditation*
Magic
*or tinkering if you want to rearm traps in order to keep the fact you just got into an unearthed chest secret, or to kill someone who believes the chest is safe a spawn or two later. I say this in the belief that you can still trap spawning chests.
or stealing if you want to go about and collect town rares
Derrick wrote:I wish it were possible that a mount could be whacked while you are riding it, but to the best of my knowedge it is not.

Eastwood

Post by Eastwood »

You dont need detect hidden or remove trap for chest picking (which is a lot of fun and profit).

On another note, it helps to have a town character who gates your stealther to various dungeons so you can pop through gates unseen and also open a gate if you get PK'd or something.
Catskills 97-99

archaicsubrosa77
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

No you need only need like 60 detect hidden for remove trap though...

You don't need remove trap either...it's just a flavour class that is useful in certain ways.
Derrick wrote:I wish it were possible that a mount could be whacked while you are riding it, but to the best of my knowedge it is not.

Dirty Jack

Post by Dirty Jack »

are remove trap useful now, or can you still go one step back and release it ?

archaicsubrosa77
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Dirty Jack wrote:are remove trap useful now, or can you still go one step back and release it ?
You can take a step back and release traps one tile away still I am sure.
Remove Trap is useful in this scenerio however...
if the location is occupied by other players that may do you harm.
Whether it be in a house, dungeon, or T-map chest...there maybe times where you want to pilfer a chest without anyone knowing you just popped it.

iamreallysquall

Post by iamreallysquall »

archaicsubrosa77 wrote:
Dirty Jack wrote:are remove trap useful now, or can you still go one step back and release it ?
You can take a step back and release traps one tile away still I am sure.
Remove Trap is useful in this scenerio however...
if the location is occupied by other players that may do you harm.
Whether it be in a house, dungeon, or T-map chest...there maybe times where you want to pilfer a chest without anyone knowing you just popped it.
due to how rare this situation is and the fact you can just stealth away and invis recall out its really not worth the time / skill points to have this ability to silently open a chest
<mistercherry> i bet ide beat yer asss in scrabble
<Atraxi> as soon as i find the noobs i stole from
<Jamison> lelouche your taunts will be your downfall

Caor Reod

Post by Caor Reod »

One template came into mind:

Detect Hidden 70
Hiding 100
Stealth 80
Lockpicking 100
Snooping 70
Stealing 100
Remove Trap 100
Magery 100

However this is what I'd about to test, not sure if 70 DH is enough nor 80 stealth or 70 snooping.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers,

- C

SighelmofWyrmgard

Post by SighelmofWyrmgard »

Caor Reod wrote:One template came into mind:

Detect Hidden 70
Hiding 100
Stealth 80
Lockpicking 100
Snooping 70
Stealing 100
Remove Trap 100
Magery 100

However this is what I'd about to test, not sure if 70 DH is enough nor 80 stealth or 70 snooping.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers,

- C
Hi there.

I'll point out that your math doesn't work: you've listed 720 skill points; drop Hiding to 80 and you'd have 700.

Otherwise, your template possesses some useless redundancy and, at the same time, one particular absence of synergy. Redundancy: GM Magery + GM Remove Trap. Absence of synergy: GM Magery + no Meditation.

I'm not sure what all you wish to achieve with this character, so I'll make some general observations that I hope will be helpful.

Remove Trap is a "really-optional" skill, as the need for it can be circumvented in a number of ways: just "blow the trap" with Telekinesis from a safe distance; all dungeon chests can be triggered manually from 1 tile away, without taking damage or breaking Stealth.

If Detect Hidden is only for "easing the lock" when lockpicking, then 60.0 is enough; if only picking Dungeon chests, they only go to Lvl4, so 95.0 Lockpicking & 0 Detect Hidden will still open any dungeon chest.

80 Hiding & 80 Stealth is sufficient to reach and pilfer any/all dungeon chests, just bear in mind that you can only stealth 8 tiles.

GM Magery is expensive to train (and time-consuming with no Meditation) and unnecessary: 35 Magery allows you to Teleport+Hide, and cast Recall via scroll; 75ish is good enough to free-cast Circles 1-6 (expect the occasional fizzle with 6th Circle); 72.0, real, is required to use the Wind teleporter; with more than 50 Magery, you likely want at least 50 Meditation.

Snooping is of no advantage at all unless you intend to steal from other Player Characters.

So, having said all that, I'll point you to some templates I've devised (you will need to be logged-in to view these pages): Professions of Pride, look for Rogue, and everything under Burglar; Other Professions, look for everything under Lark.

Good luck with getting your template sorted-out!

SS
SighelmofWyrmgard wrote:
uosa44 wrote:For sale, by original owner:
1 Human Brain, never been used, only slightly damaged, still in original packaging.
$1, obo
FTFY.

SS
uosa44 wrote:The inability for this person to respond in such a crazy manner proves my point.

Caor Reod

Post by Caor Reod »

Very true,

as I found out the stealth skill is also at the a bit cumbersome state, decided to change it to more of treasure hunterish with stealing for rares.

Stealing
Cartography
Lockpicking
Hiding
Magery
Musicianship
Provocation

SighelmofWyrmgard

Post by SighelmofWyrmgard »

Caor Reod wrote:Very true,

as I found out the stealth skill is also at the a bit cumbersome state, decided to change it to more of treasure hunterish with stealing for rares.

Stealing
Cartography
Lockpicking
Hiding
Magery
Musicianship
Provocation
This template is more focused, and seizes upon certain synergies (which is good). I'll remark some more, in case it helps you refine your design.

You've got GM Hiding & GM Magery and no Stealth nor Meditation. GM Magery will allow you to cast Invisibility (instead of devoting 100 Skill Points to Hiding), which will "hide" you, albeit under a timer; 50+ Meditation, rather than GM Hiding, might prove to be more effective, if you're going to have GM Magery.

I'll repeat that GMing Magery is really expensive, and also repeat that it isn't necessary: your template would still work (actually, even better) with 80 Hiding, 80 stealth, and 40 Magery (you'd need scrolls for Recall, and maybe certain other spells); being able to Stealth is a no-muss-no-fuss way to approach a number of dungeon chests, and without Stealth you'd have to deal with the local spawn ... EVs would suffice very well, but you'd want Meditation, and I'll repeat again that it is expensive (and without Meditation, time-consuming) to GM Magery in the first place ...

Standing alone, your template might actually work better with Peacemaking, rather than Provocation. I'll point-out that normal movement will "break" Peacemaking on certain high-end mobs (i.e. Daemons, Balrons), but Teleportation won't ... and you can "no-fail" free-cast Teleportation just fine with 35-40 Magery. The reason why I am steering away from Provocation is that you always must have at least 2 mobs, and you will require 10 seconds between each Provocation-use; Peacemaking will work on everything on-screen, and I think the timer is lower (5 seconds, but I'm probably wrong; I don't use Peacemaking much); if you only use Teleportation for movement, you can likely keep mobs 'mezzed' while you do your other stuff. Food for thought; yes?

You've added Cartography to your template. On the Other Professions page that I cited above, you'll see that I've included "Owings and Malloy" (under "Lark", and inspired by NPCs that appear in Ultima 7): you can operate up to 3 accounts at UOSA; my "Owings and Malloy" is merely one way in which you can have the Treasure-Hunting-skillset divided between two characters (in particular, you will note that the Cartographer is NOT the Lockpicker), each developed on separate accounts, to be played together, multi-clienting.

A GM Cartographer who also has GM Mining can unearth a Treasure-Map chest from 5 tiles away (and, so, be outside the ring of spawn): I can't tell you how happy I have been that William of Yew, my own Treasure Hunter, has always had GM Mining.

I have no more advice at this juncture, but I would invite further discussion.

SS
SighelmofWyrmgard wrote:
uosa44 wrote:For sale, by original owner:
1 Human Brain, never been used, only slightly damaged, still in original packaging.
$1, obo
FTFY.

SS
uosa44 wrote:The inability for this person to respond in such a crazy manner proves my point.