Locking down containers on front steps

Moderator: Support Moderators

Drunkelf

Locking down containers on front steps

Post by Drunkelf »

Can you lock down a container on your house steps? Or a secured container? Just wondering so I can run around outside my house (without my key on me) to gather wood or ore and throw into the container? I see other people have things on their front steps. How do you lock down items on your front steps?

Dagon

Re: Locking down containers on front steps

Post by Dagon »

dont know if you can still do secures on steps but you can lockdowns
and anyone can take stuff out of lockdowns

Populus

Post by Populus »

I think if you raise them high enough, you can secure it. Not 100% sure, but I think so.
ImageImageImage
[cA]

Rammar
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Rammar »

Don't think you can place a secure. Put your key on a keyring (tinker's) and either raise it above your door and lockdown, or lock it down just inside the house. You can use keys on key rings through walls (transparency or macro).

Jorel

Post by Jorel »

I have seen quite a few small houses with secure bags on the steps. Im wanting to know how they do that. The bag is not raised etc. But the bag is secure.

Bag

Post by Bag »

Grandfathered secures. You can still easily lock stuff down on the steps, but you cannot secure as far as I can tell. It was changed in a previous patch. It's the same reason you can't place forges, etc, on steps any longer.

Onyx

Post by Onyx »

Rammar wrote:Don't think you can place a secure. Put your key on a keyring (tinker's) and either raise it above your door and lockdown, or lock it down just inside the house. You can use keys on key rings through walls (transparency or macro).

Wouldn't the keyring be usable by everyone just like a locked down container?

Rammar
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Rammar »

Only friends and co-owners can use locked-down keyrings.

MatronDeWinter
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by MatronDeWinter »

Rammar wrote:Only friends and co-owners can use locked-down keyrings.
Only friends and co-owners can use locked-down keyrings.

Is this accurate??

Rammar
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Rammar »

MatronDeWinter wrote:
Rammar wrote:Only friends and co-owners can use locked-down keyrings.
Is this accurate??
As to that, I have no idea. They've always behaved more like secures than lockdowns (cannot add/remove keys while locked down), but this may be UOR leftovers (when this was certaintly possible). But I can't find much of anything in-era.

I doubt its accurate to be able to use keyrings at absurd distances or through walls though (From outside, I just unlocked my tower using a keyring just inside from 17 tiles away). Actually locking/unlocking seems to be limited to line-of-sight, but keyring access is not.

Not that I really want any of this "fixed"! :? :lol:

Bag

Post by Bag »

It is accurate that unfriended characters cannot use locked down items. It's the same reason you can't smelt locked down ore in a public house. This is all accurate if I remember correctly.

CrazyJoe

Post by CrazyJoe »

I tried to lock down a keyring just last week to no avail. Was stackign it on top of boxes, then fishsteaks, you name it. As high as you could stack - no luck at all.

Karik Verlee
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Karik Verlee »

CrazyJoe wrote:I tried to lock down a keyring just last week to no avail. Was stackign it on top of boxes, then fishsteaks, you name it. As high as you could stack - no luck at all.

I just did it three nights ago, it was 3 tables, then one nightshade, key then lock down.
Big John, Minin Man, Harm
Chesapeake May 1999-June 2008
Karik Verlee [TEB], Hilik [WL], Amabo [WL]
UOSA March, 28th 2010-Present

Bag

Post by Bag »

I did it with 4 red boxes a couple days ago. 4 boxes then keyring. stacked em in front of my tower door.

Jill Stihl
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Jill Stihl »

Bag wrote:Grandfathered secures. You can still easily lock stuff down on the steps, but you cannot secure as far as I can tell. It was changed in a previous patch. It's the same reason you can't place forges, etc, on steps any longer.
I've placed two small forges on house steps in the last month or so (to the left of the door in each case). Has this changed very recently, I didn't see anything in the latest patch thread?

For locking down a keyring to the side of the door I used a stack of three small tables and two fishsteaks with the keyring on top. Worked a treat.