Armor - somethings i've always wondered.

Moderator: Support Moderators

SoundofGod

Armor - somethings i've always wondered.

Post by SoundofGod »

This is more of a technical question, and without any real knowledge of the coding, you may not know - you may think you know, but you may not.

#1. Is the overall AR rating of your character the thing that matters or does it have any relation to the part of the body the blows are hitting? Let me try to phrase this as best as possible.

Lets say you have Invul legs, arms, neck, helm but you are bare chested. The chest is the most likely thing to get hit, correct? Does that mean if the melee

Does the location of the blow matter in regards to AR? I'm assuming that there IS a hit placement because it's rare that i ever have to repair my gorget, and the first thing to get damaged is the chest plate. Is it a dice roll to what part of the body get's hit, and if that part is undefended, does it deal more damage?

Another example: Let's say someone who is wearing a full leather invul suit, vs someone who is only wearing invul legs. I'm not sure what the AR is on either, but let's say it's even. you would assume that the one wearing leggings would get dealt MORE damage, because there is nothing protecting the chest, right?

Going back to the original question: Does overall AR matter more than the AR of the part of the body being "hit" during melee? Is someone with ONLY an Invul Gorget and Helm protected as much as someone wearing, say, a full GM leather suit? (similar AR).

I would like to know how melee damgage is calculated (or in this case, absorbed).

Another way of putting it would be this: Should I worry more about having a good chest plate vs anything else because that get's hit the most?

GM everything but an invul chest vs. Invul chest and Gm everything else
ceteris paribus, which is a better set up? is there any difference if the AR is the same?

Mikel123
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Re: Armor - somethings i've always wondered.

Post by Mikel123 »

Armor is coded just as you mention - the chest area is hit 44% of the time, and all that matters is the true AR of the armor item you have on your chest. Displayed AR is really just a handy shortcut to visualize your overall armor level. It's unrelated to any algorithm that determines the damage you take.

Lot more info here:
viewtopic.php?p=1325#p1325

SoundofGod

Post by SoundofGod »

You're the best.

That totally explains it, and is exactly the clarification i was looking for.

So if you're wearing a GM suit of armor and throw on an invul gorget, don't expect to absorb any more damage. (93% of the time).

Thanks broski.

Mikel123
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mikel123 »

You got it.

I've said it before, Derrick did a great job implementing the weapon and armor system here. It's precisely as described, as far as I can tell, from the Stratics copies in my links above.

Return to “New Player Help”