New character question

Moderator: Support Moderators

Mikel123
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Re: New character question

Post by Mikel123 »

Dress usage is definitely an "action". You can't undress and redress an item over and over; you'll need to wait for the 1000ms delay.

Also, even if you can Cast Recall, then dress the Invis item immediately, there's almost no point.

The Invis item prevents targeting, not damage.

Recall takes 1.25 seconds to cast.

Magic spells have a 1.0 second damage delay.

So look at it this way... if you cast recall, wait .1 seconds (leaving 1.15 left of casting time), the attacker has all of .15 seconds to target you anyways, else the damage from the spell will be applied after you've already arrived at your destination. The last 1.0 seconds of casting time, in which you're shrouded in an invis item, being targeted by a spell at that point is irrelevant anyways.

I'd advise just being vigilant about keeping Reflect up, and setting a macro to cast recall and always keeping a rune for manual targeting in a similar spot in your pack. The more complex your escape macro, the more likely it is to get messed up (wrong rune is recorded as being targeted in the macro, the invis item in your macro is used up or not there anymore, etc.).

My "1" key cast Recall, and I manually clicked on a rune. I think maybe once, in two years of UOSA, did I die because I wasn't able to click on the rune fast enough once the spell was complete. Compare that to the probably 5 times I would have died due to casting the spell and having the macro hiccup because the rune in the macro isn't actually in my pack for whatever reason...

Huzke
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Huzke »

Invis items cost 100g per charge. How is it not economical to spend 100g for a charge that will save you thousands in lost equipment and loot?

I PvE on a bard, mage, and dexer and have used this macro on all three characters. I'm also not a vet to the shard either, I've been here for exactly three months and I've used this macro since week 2 (spent week 1 macroing my characters). Invis items are hard to find? You kidding me? There are lots of vendors that sell them including my own, you also get a nice stockpile of them just from picking dungeon chests. You realize how easy/economical it is to make a stealth lockpicker and just pick tons of chests as a newbie? It's almost free to get lockpicking to 95 and it's completely free to GM hiding and stealth.
You're probably sitting at the bottom of the lich lord pit or at Covetous gazers with your dragons
I don't have a tamer but I do often find dragons laying around that were previously tamed and I re-tame them. But anyone can do this so I don't see how this is exclusive to me or something that a newbie couldn't do. It takes 0 skill to re-tame any previously tamed creature. I do, sometimes, hunt with a tamer friend but that's maybe once a week at best and definitely not my exclusive means of PvM.

As for being paralyzed first, you do realize that you can BOTH dress the invis item AND use a trapped pouch from paralyze right? And that you can also use a trapped pouch without revealing? So all you do is hit the dress hotkey to take the item off and then use the macro again and you're gone. Pretty simple stuff. Unless you're a dexer it's hard to get paralyzed before you can use the macro to begin with anyway because you should have magic reflect up if you're a bard, tamer, or mage. If you're a dexer you're a dexer and your reflect is down from the mob you're fighting then the mob is probably going to break the paralyze for you anyway.

Maybe you get PK'd a lot and you're bitter but I don't and it's largely because of this macro. Try using it, you'll probably be a happier person and not tell newbies they're going to get ganked with no hope of escaping anywhere they go.

Mikel, I have had 0 issues with this macro and have never once been PK'd when I used it. The only times I've ever actually been PK'd were when I was fighting back and the PK had more people show up to gank me. Even if the PK does manage to get in damage between the casting of the recall and you being invis'd (which I haven't had happen a single time yet) and your recall is interrupted then you're still invis'd and you can still just undress and re-use the macro again and you're still going to get away in almost every situation. If you're just using the invis item and your recall is interrupted then you're still visible and your chances of survival definitely drop.

I'm not claiming that using the invis item is sooooo much more effective than just using a recall macro but it certainly does help so why not use it as extra insurance for 100g a charge?

As for having the macro hiccup because the rune isn't in your pack, well geez that's not the fault of the macro. :wink:

Pixelclicker

Post by Pixelclicker »

Moderated
Last edited by Pirul on Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: post adds nothing to the thread, please keep personal attacks inthe trash talk forum.
<@BoomlandJenkins> I got home, got on UO right away and I knew something was up before I even made it to the spawner, because there were 35+ in the Justice woods and not one person was PKing one another.

Huzke
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Huzke »

Moderated
Last edited by Pirul on Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Post adds nothing to the thread, please keep personal attacks in the trash talk forum

Pixelclicker

Post by Pixelclicker »

Moderated
Last edited by Pirul on Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Post adds nothing to the thread, please keep personal attacks in the trash talk forum
<@BoomlandJenkins> I got home, got on UO right away and I knew something was up before I even made it to the spawner, because there were 35+ in the Justice woods and not one person was PKing one another.

Ahntara

Post by Ahntara »

"...3.5 minutes after you enter Shame, three guys on nightmares from TG will ride exactly to where you are and ass rape you for your bone armor...."ghost cam"...looking at a gray screen and three-five menus offering to hand out murder counts..."

Why don't group of 5 camp out and wait for these gank squads, put them in stat loss? Do this a few times, and you've even got their back-up chars.

Pirul

Post by Pirul »

Ahntara wrote:"...3.5 minutes after you enter Shame, three guys on nightmares from TG will ride exactly to where you are and ass rape you for your bone armor...."ghost cam"...looking at a gray screen and three-five menus offering to hand out murder counts..."

Why don't group of 5 camp out and wait for these gank squads, put them in stat loss? Do this a few times, and you've even got their back-up chars.
Because they'll run. Been there, done that.
<ian> 2 chicks making out are not gay

Ahntara

Post by Ahntara »

Oh

Sir QuiGon

Post by Sir QuiGon »

Pirul wrote:Huzke's advice is solid. They have exactly 100ms to try to interrupt your scroll, and as he said, you are 99% safe if you use it. I also agree with Mikel in regards to earth eles, they are not good enough loot.

What I would recomend to a new player is:

1.- make a char with 50 magery/49 med/1 musicianship, 10 STR, 10 DEX, 60 INT.
2.- start in Trinsic or Minoc
3.- macro herding overnight to raise stats to 100/25/100 (if you don't get there by the time you GM herding, get an axe, chop some wood, turn it into kindling and macro camping. 3 or 4 backpack fulls should be enough to get you to 100 STR, it should take you around 30 mins, and don't worry too much about INT)
4.- go to the stable and macro music and provo overnight (2 nights should get you over 85, which is enough for now)
5.- find a guard on in a secluded area of town and macro eval on him (Alt + click on the guard so you follow him in case he moves).
6.- find a way to get to Ocllo, and provo the overland spawn there, and most importantly the brigand/orc/ratman camps that have hostages (particularly on the W-NW part of the island, but you can find the coordinates to the camps posted in the bank's bulletin board). Do that for a day or two, depending on how much time you play (4-6 total hrs should get you close to 20k)
7.- when you have around 20k (preferably a bit more, closer to 25-30k), buy resist up to 30
8.- join the mages guild (say join to any NPC mage guildmaster, and he'll ask for 500gps to join) and buy 60 fire field regs and around 250 Greater Heal regs
9.- get a friend to cast GHeal on you while you run through a fire field (jump on IRC chann #C^V if you need friends to help you), and do this until 55 resist.
10.- buy 1k lightning regs, and 2.5k e-bolt regs
11.- macro magery/meditation/resist using all those regs (follow this link for tips on setting up the macro), and use a newbie char on another account to heal you (the newbie char can start with 50 healing/50 anat, and include anatomy while you heal your main char. You'll have to do this inside a house, so look around forums for offers to coown you to a house)

After that you'll end up with a char with over 80 magery, 70 med/resist, and if you continued to macro provo on your down time, GM music and provo. A char like that is a cash cow, you can go to a ton of spots and make good money. Always bank whenyou get over 7k, and you will never loose too much to pks. Also, you might want to macro wrestling for good measure (and finish the rest of the cheap/free skills to macro), and you'll be set.
I realize this post is old but I recently started here and tried this, but it seems there are none of these camps by Ocllo anymore and doing this on the normal spawn suggested is taking alot longer than stated.

I have gone to the normal dungeons and it normally turns out with PKs getting some gold and regs :(
as for the invis item macro mentioned? would be nice if I could find one lol
UO experience:
Atlantic 1997-2005
Characters:
Gandalf
Bowen
Sir QuiGon
Sir Gandalf

Hoots
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Hoots »

Sir QuiGon wrote:
I realize this post is old but I recently started here and tried this, but it seems there are none of these camps by Ocllo anymore and doing this on the normal spawn suggested is taking alot longer than stated.

I have gone to the normal dungeons and it normally turns out with PKs getting some gold and regs :(
as for the invis item macro mentioned? would be nice if I could find one lol
The glaring error in that advice (at least IMHO) is starting with med instead of 50 resist...

Med can easily be raised to 50 for the cost of buying 1 magical wizard hat and a few hrs of macroing.

Never, ever, ever, ever ,ever in the history of UO or UO player runs shards should a player who wants magery and resist in their template start with something other than 50/49 in those 2.

Only Exception could be a 7x tamer build where you start with taming/magery or some crazy build that you wanted magery/resist & smithing or some other crafting skill.

TheManWithNoName

Post by TheManWithNoName »

i never start with resist on any char i plan to have it on. train it up from npc for the few hundred gold and then grab 50 firefield regs and a healer. if you are quick with the running/healing you should get 3 passes per firefield. in ~30 min you will be at 55.0 resist on top of some magery gains. much faster compared to bringing up med to that level if you started with 0.
IRC: NoName

Pirul

Post by Pirul »

TheManWithNoName wrote:i never start with resist on any char i plan to have it on. train it up from npc for the few hundred gold and then grab 50 firefield regs and a healer. if you are quick with the running/healing you should get 3 passes per firefield. in ~30 min you will be at 55.0 resist on top of some magery gains. much faster compared to bringing up med to that level if you started with 0.
It's a time issue over a cost issue. I obviously think it is faster to do resist using FF than med doing the magic hat or drunk med thing, but whatever floats your boat.

As far as making the money for training, I haven't hunted overland spawn in a while, but you can check the bank's bulletin board (not to be confused with the bounty board) for coordinates to the camps. If Ocllo doesn't offer a couple, you can check Vesper, Delucia or Papua, those are the ones I've found to have the most, but I'm sure you can find them at all banks.
<ian> 2 chicks making out are not gay

Sir QuiGon

Post by Sir QuiGon »

Hoots wrote: The glaring error in that advice (at least IMHO) is starting with med instead of 50 resist...

Med can easily be raised to 50 for the cost of buying 1 magical wizard hat and a few hrs of macroing.

Never, ever, ever, ever ,ever in the history of UO or UO player runs shards should a player who wants magery and resist in their template start with something other than 50/49 in those 2.

Only Exception could be a 7x tamer build where you start with taming/magery or some crazy build that you wanted magery/resist & smithing or some other crafting skill.

well that wasnt my issue. I had previously already started the char before reading this 50mage 49 resist. after alot of macro time i have 90 provo.
my issue was with the Ocllo advice lol

I just seem to be having a hard time making gold. the "safe bets" are very slow, I would probably have a faster time with a scribe lol and well thats kind of boring to me lol and the good spots... well... lol.

and don't think I am some trammelite talking about PKs like this. thats not the issue. the issue is making some start up cash to work on other skills. after hours of trying It seems I just spend the little I made, restocking for another run lol.

I played OSI t2a and I just do not remember it being this difficult to get started. I had a decent developed dexxer that was making a fair amount to fund my tank mage at around the same play time.
UO experience:
Atlantic 1997-2005
Characters:
Gandalf
Bowen
Sir QuiGon
Sir Gandalf

Mykos

Post by Mykos »

I have a bard/mage. Magery hasn't been macroed yet, so still right around 54ish. I have made decent gold, nothing to write home about, but enough to have bought a decent amount of reagents and back up to about 25k gold in the bank. I haven't used some of the specific tips or guides, just doing what I think is fun (others might not think so).

I would hit the moonglow graveyard and provo the undead after macroing for several hours. I would make about 1k gold and then sell weapons, relatively safe as I was only pked once in say 30 visits. Occasionally a lich spawns so some extra fun there. The spawn is relatively fast as well, so it feels like a continuous run. Usually in 30 mins, I would have had 1500 gold from selling weapons and collecting gold. Its not much, but sounds like your barely making it or looking to hit the lotto.

I have only been active for a couple of weeks here. I don't usually do the typical things, so I suggest just have fun. I know that means different things to different people.
Mykos
House Master
House of Oor'Tael

Malaikat

Post by Malaikat »

Pirul wrote:
Ahntara wrote:"...3.5 minutes after you enter Shame, three guys on nightmares from TG will ride exactly to where you are and ass rape you for your bone armor...."ghost cam"...looking at a gray screen and three-five menus offering to hand out murder counts..."

Because they'll run. Been there, done that.
I encourage everyone to please do this. Pking can get slow at times and it's definately more interesting when people stay and fight rather than invoke some bitch ass invis recall. I'll go 1 v 1 on a stat with vet pvpers for a few minutes. Don't think for a second we'd run from a 3 or 4 v 2 against a group of scrubs.
Save yourself the shame and embarrassment and just assume that if you can't understand me...you're the one who's retarded.
Budner wrote:Your sig lets everyone know what an arrogant prick you are.