All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: What's a good general skill build for a GM Fisher?
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:27 pm 
User Rep: Unsung

I want to make a character that roams the seas and pulls up sunken treasure. Besides GM fishing, I'm wondering what another good skill template is to compliment it. I'm torn between going Magery or Archery.

Personally I was thinking GM Mage/Wrestling/EvalInt/Med/Swords/Tactics. This way I can still PvP/defend myself from PK's if I want/need to, and still fight if I run out of Reagents.

Thoughts?

These Support SecondAge
Links open a new window.
UOSA Donors & Subscribers do not receive these ads.

Post subject: Re: What's a good general skill build for a GM Fisher?
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:38 pm 
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!
User Rep: Good
Good

Generally I feel that no template should be based around fishing because it stands on its own, as in it doesn't need anything else for it to be successful (other than the ability to recall I suppose). I would come up with a useful template that you can fit 100 fishing points into. A toon solely dedicated to fishing is too specialized and begging to eventually be deleted. When it comes to fighting mobs out on the sea, something I would recommend to pass the time as fishing can be BORING, I prefer an eval mage over melee. One of my favorite character I have is GM mage/eval/med/resist/alchemy/inscription/fishing. Maybe not for everyone but I find him extremely useful for many things. As for PvP / defend from PKs out in the sea, my advice is just to recall.

So I guess what I'm saying is that if what you stated as an example sounds good to you, go for it. "Fisherman template" is silly IMO but others may disagree.

Tabius wrote:
I am disgusted by cA's attitude in this and you should all be ashamed of yourselves.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:42 pm 

applejack wrote:
Generally I feel that no template should be based around fishing because it stands on its own, as in it doesn't need anything else for it to be successful (other than the ability to recall I suppose). I would come up with a useful template that you can fit 100 fishing points into. A toon solely dedicated to fishing is too specialized and begging to eventually be deleted. When it comes to fighting mobs out on the sea, something I would recommend to pass the time as fishing can be BORING, I prefer an eval mage over melee. One of my favorite character I have is GM mage/eval/med/resist/alchemy/inscription/fishing. Maybe not for everyone but I find him extremely useful for many things. As for PvP / defend from PKs out in the sea, my advice is just to recall.

So I guess what I'm saying is that if what you stated as an example sounds good to you, go for it. "Fisherman template" is silly IMO but others may disagree.

That's exactly what I'm going for, a specialized build. I love pulling up sunken treasure and sailing the oceans seeking the coordinates of lost manifests. It was one of my favorite activities in AoS. I think I intend to make this toon purely PvE though.

Okay, so Mage/Eval/Med/Resist so far. I don't plan to use Alchemy or Inscription, so that leaves two more combat-oriented skills. OR I could pick up Cartography and Lockpicking perhaps, and add treasure maps to the mix?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:38 pm 
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

While your 1-4 t maps won't be excessively difficult with just mage/eval. Your level 5 t maps will be a rough time. I'd suggest against LP/Cart. Though I do have a fisher with LP, he's more of a RP type. Fishes to feed himself, stealth LPs dungeon chests to support his never ending quest for treasure.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:42 pm 

OneEyedJack wrote:
While your 1-4 t maps won't be excessively difficult with just mage/eval. Your level 5 t maps will be a rough time. I'd suggest against LP/Cart. Though I do have a fisher with LP, he's more of a RP type. Fishes to feed himself, stealth LPs dungeon chests to support his never ending quest for treasure.

How do you make Lv5 maps easy without taming or musicianship?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:46 pm 
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!
User Rep: Rude
 YIM  Profile

http://my.uosecondage.com/Status/Player/81812

Best Fisherman on the Entire Shard!!! :P

Trusted Member of C^V Guild
Channel Operator of #secondagetrade

Scammer Free Trade Room

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:51 pm 
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Foxhound3857 wrote:
OneEyedJack wrote:

How do you make Lv5 maps easy without taming or musicianship?

Find a friend with taming or musicianship? Heh. In all seriousness... it's probably best to have friends for level 5's. Especially if you have no desire to be a provo bard yourself.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:40 pm 

I was actually planning to join a nice social guild (at least one that uses Vent) anyway, so maybe I will do that, and bring guildies for Lv4 or 5 maps.

I think I'm set though: Fishing/Lockpicking/Cartography/Mage/EvalInt/Med/Resist.