All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: What's a good general skill build for a GM Fisher?
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:27 pm 
Offline
User avatar
User Rep: Unsung
 Profile

Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:29 pm
Posts: 226
I want to make a character that roams the seas and pulls up sunken treasure. Besides GM fishing, I'm wondering what another good skill template is to compliment it. I'm torn between going Magery or Archery.

Personally I was thinking GM Mage/Wrestling/EvalInt/Med/Swords/Tactics. This way I can still PvP/defend myself from PK's if I want/need to, and still fight if I run out of Reagents.

Thoughts?


Top
 
These Support SecondAge
Links open a new window.
UOSA Donors & Subscribers do not receive these ads.

 Post subject: Re: What's a good general skill build for a GM Fisher?
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:38 pm 
Offline
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!
User avatar
User Rep: Good
Good
 Profile

Joined: Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:53 am
Posts: 1595
Location: Detroit (Felucca)
Generally I feel that no template should be based around fishing because it stands on its own, as in it doesn't need anything else for it to be successful (other than the ability to recall I suppose). I would come up with a useful template that you can fit 100 fishing points into. A toon solely dedicated to fishing is too specialized and begging to eventually be deleted. When it comes to fighting mobs out on the sea, something I would recommend to pass the time as fishing can be BORING, I prefer an eval mage over melee. One of my favorite character I have is GM mage/eval/med/resist/alchemy/inscription/fishing. Maybe not for everyone but I find him extremely useful for many things. As for PvP / defend from PKs out in the sea, my advice is just to recall.

So I guess what I'm saying is that if what you stated as an example sounds good to you, go for it. "Fisherman template" is silly IMO but others may disagree.

_________________
[cA] Organizational Information
[cA] Tales of Adventure

Tabius wrote:
I am disgusted by cA's attitude in this and you should all be ashamed of yourselves.


Top
 

 Post subject: Re: What's a good general skill build for a GM Fisher?
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:42 pm 
Offline
User avatar
User Rep: Unsung
 Profile

Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:29 pm
Posts: 226
applejack wrote:
Generally I feel that no template should be based around fishing because it stands on its own, as in it doesn't need anything else for it to be successful (other than the ability to recall I suppose). I would come up with a useful template that you can fit 100 fishing points into. A toon solely dedicated to fishing is too specialized and begging to eventually be deleted. When it comes to fighting mobs out on the sea, something I would recommend to pass the time as fishing can be BORING, I prefer an eval mage over melee. One of my favorite character I have is GM mage/eval/med/resist/alchemy/inscription/fishing. Maybe not for everyone but I find him extremely useful for many things. As for PvP / defend from PKs out in the sea, my advice is just to recall.

So I guess what I'm saying is that if what you stated as an example sounds good to you, go for it. "Fisherman template" is silly IMO but others may disagree.


That's exactly what I'm going for, a specialized build. I love pulling up sunken treasure and sailing the oceans seeking the coordinates of lost manifests. It was one of my favorite activities in AoS. I think I intend to make this toon purely PvE though.

Okay, so Mage/Eval/Med/Resist so far. I don't plan to use Alchemy or Inscription, so that leaves two more combat-oriented skills. OR I could pick up Cartography and Lockpicking perhaps, and add treasure maps to the mix?


Top
 

 Post subject: Re: What's a good general skill build for a GM Fisher?
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:38 pm 
Offline
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!
User avatar
User Rep: Unsung
 Profile

Joined: Sun Apr 04, 2010 4:28 pm
Posts: 294
While your 1-4 t maps won't be excessively difficult with just mage/eval. Your level 5 t maps will be a rough time. I'd suggest against LP/Cart. Though I do have a fisher with LP, he's more of a RP type. Fishes to feed himself, stealth LPs dungeon chests to support his never ending quest for treasure.

_________________
Image
<<Gharik Darkmoor, Keeper of the Mausoleum and Lord of Bones of The Shadow Council, UWL>>
*Grandmaster Scribe for Hire*


Top
 

 Post subject: Re: What's a good general skill build for a GM Fisher?
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:42 pm 
Offline
User avatar
User Rep: Unsung
 Profile

Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:29 pm
Posts: 226
OneEyedJack wrote:
While your 1-4 t maps won't be excessively difficult with just mage/eval. Your level 5 t maps will be a rough time. I'd suggest against LP/Cart. Though I do have a fisher with LP, he's more of a RP type. Fishes to feed himself, stealth LPs dungeon chests to support his never ending quest for treasure.


How do you make Lv5 maps easy without taming or musicianship?


Top
 

 Post subject: Re: What's a good general skill build for a GM Fisher?
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:46 pm 
Offline
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!
User avatar
User Rep: Rude
 YIM  Profile

Joined: Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:24 am
Posts: 984
http://my.uosecondage.com/Status/Player/81812

Best Fisherman on the Entire Shard!!! :P

_________________
Image

Trusted Member of C^V Guild
Channel Operator of #secondagetrade

Scammer Free Trade Room


Top
 

 Post subject: Re: What's a good general skill build for a GM Fisher?
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:51 pm 
Offline
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!
User avatar
User Rep: Unsung
 Profile

Joined: Sun Apr 04, 2010 4:28 pm
Posts: 294
Foxhound3857 wrote:
OneEyedJack wrote:
While your 1-4 t maps won't be excessively difficult with just mage/eval. Your level 5 t maps will be a rough time. I'd suggest against LP/Cart. Though I do have a fisher with LP, he's more of a RP type. Fishes to feed himself, stealth LPs dungeon chests to support his never ending quest for treasure.


How do you make Lv5 maps easy without taming or musicianship?


Find a friend with taming or musicianship? Heh. In all seriousness... it's probably best to have friends for level 5's. Especially if you have no desire to be a provo bard yourself.

_________________
Image
<<Gharik Darkmoor, Keeper of the Mausoleum and Lord of Bones of The Shadow Council, UWL>>
*Grandmaster Scribe for Hire*


Top
 

 Post subject: Re: What's a good general skill build for a GM Fisher?
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:40 pm 
Offline
User avatar
User Rep: Unsung
 Profile

Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:29 pm
Posts: 226
I was actually planning to join a nice social guild (at least one that uses Vent) anyway, so maybe I will do that, and bring guildies for Lv4 or 5 maps.

I think I'm set though: Fishing/Lockpicking/Cartography/Mage/EvalInt/Med/Resist.


Top
 

Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 14 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
cron
Support Second Age: These links Open in a New Window

Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group  
Extended by Karma MOD © 2007—2012 m157y