Dragon control advice?

Moderator: Support Moderators

randale

Dragon control advice?

Post by randale »

Don't get wrong (at least not totally) being able to control and tame dragons and what they can do for you definitely makes it worth it. But, man what a hassle dragons are to control, even with gm taming and animal lore. Not sure what it is, I have, like I said those two skills maxed, as well as them being well fed, I don't know what it is, unless they're only supposed to listen some of the time.

Between them not listening to me, to me getting stuck in-between them, to having to re-tame them (and possibly getting killed in that process, like I have several times) to healing them, you really have a price to pay in what they can do for you.

It seems veterinary isn't as good here as another semi-pre ren shard I played on called Metropolis. The advantage is you can use bandages instead of regs and mana for greater heals on the dragons, but it doesn't seem to do much more healing than greater heal does, like I was expecting. It's really hard to keep up with the elder gazers and healing your dragons, given the speed of spawn, and the fact that it seems near impossible to pull one away once a gazer or some other mob attacks it. I try to pull them away from the pond into a nearby room so I can heal them, but it can be very difficult. It's very hard to heal them when they are fighting, given that they can move and that will disrupt the attempt.

Any ways you deal with these multitude of problems?

Loathed

Re: Dragon control advice?

Post by Loathed »

use white wyrms tbh brother dragons are decent but only as turrets, which in that case- you'll never give them a command. Except all follow me or all stay. White wyrms listen very well and they have a arsenal of spells/mana. They don't breathe fire nor have near as a wallop on their melee but the spells really rock it. Currently the guarding system on our server is very different from how it was and is on the demo even. They're suppose to continue to guard you , unless 1. you die (in which case they'll constantly guard your corpse unless they get out of range) or 2. if you get out of range of them then they'll wander aimlessly. Currently they'll guard you for on target attacking you then forget. But anyhow on to how to use dragons.

for hunting with dragons and returning the dragons to the stable:
Create a razor macro for feeding them (end macro), block them in with your tamer and possibly one more client if need be (depends on location obviously). You will then have another character there to loot everything, no need to give dragons a command to attack the monsters as they attack everything/anything that is of chaotic alignment and not tamed. As being tamed changes alignment (reds are included in the chaotic alignment) and grizzlies use to be but before t2a were changed. so anyhow- after using your feed macro you'd say all follow me a few times pop ur gate and go thru and stable. other than that dragons are fairly meh. White wyrms are the way to go especially if you're hunting with just 2 to 3, make your 2nd/3rd char you have there have peacemaking and if at anytime the wyrms attack eachother, bam peace em and you're golden. I've seen some tamer builds with peace and music in there aside from the wrestle and resist even. So that may be something to think about. Nightmares listen about as well as dragons and drakes too. It's just one of those they're harder to tame so therefore harder to control. Hope all this bull crap helps.

Yitamin

randale

Post by randale »

use white wyrms tbh brother dragons are decent but only as turrets, which in that case- you'll never give them a command. Except all follow me or all stay. White wyrms listen very well and they have a arsenal of spells/mana. They don't breathe fire nor have near as a wallop on their melee but the spells really rock it.
But, they could accidentally cast a spell on another white wyrm, causing it to attack it, and I'd lose control. You say I could use peacemaking, so I'd peace them, then thereafter, after it wears off they wouldn't attack each other?
Currently the guarding system on our server is very different from how it was and is on the demo even. They're suppose to continue to guard you , unless 1. you die (in which case they'll constantly guard your corpse unless they get out of range) or 2. if you get out of range of them then they'll wander aimlessly. Currently they'll guard you for on target attacking you then forget.
Just White Wyrms, not dragons? This would be interesting, and helpful if they did guard my corpse.
But anyhow on to how to use dragons.
for hunting with dragons and returning the dragons to the stable:
I don't keep them in stable, because there's usually no slots, what I do is keep some in my house.
Create a razor macro for feeding them (end macro), block them in with your tamer and possibly one more client if need be (depends on location obviously). You will then have another character there to loot everything, no need to give dragons a command to attack the monsters as they attack everything/anything that is of chaotic alignment and not tamed.
Looting with other character might be harder, perhaps even harder then looting and healing my drags with one character. Chaotic Alignment? I've heard of that in D&D, not in UO, just innocent, criminal, murderer. Since I would be feeding them, I suppose the macro would have to be set to the type of meat I want to give them, and end after I've clicked it, so I can click it on the dragon. Since it doesn't look like you can click and drag on a dragon to get it's name badge thing, and click on that instead.
As being tamed changes alignment (reds are included in the chaotic alignment) and grizzlies use to be but before t2a were changed. so anyhow- after using your feed macro you'd say all follow me a few times pop ur gate and go thru and stable.
Again, not using a stable. Even if they are well fed (or greater) and wonderfully happy sometimes they don't listen to me, what gives?

I do like Dragons, just they are hard to control.

Loathed

Post by Loathed »

Dragons and drakes are more likely to not listen is one reason why i say use wyrms over dragons. Also, just substitute the word "stable(s)" with "house".
White wyrms guarding do an amazing thing when you are attacked. Instant cast, yes they can mass curse but that happens like 1/20 or there abouts. The flamestrike is way more common. Ebolt and Explosion are the most common. 4 or 5 wyrms instanting those spells will devastate any target if not kill. They also move at a much faster rate than dragons. Dragons can breathe fire and also melee harder/faster but that's weak sauce when they won't all sync breaths. They have the same chance as a breathing fire attack on first strike as to catch a mounted player who is already 3 tiles away.
The best anti dragon turret weapon in the game (aside from explosion pots) is a turret of WW's you can instant drop a dragon every six seconds and constantly keep their gate dispelled.
Please don't take what I'm saying as end to all best thing ever zomg! Cause it's not. You will still get pk'd but wyrm bombing a turret or hell even npcs is very very fun.
Any pet will guard your corpse. The best type of pet to guard your corpse would be the best possible instant dmg.
Let's make up a scenario. 5x ww's are guarding your corpse and a player of any entity other than you tampers with your corpse they will be attacked by the 5x white wyrms. Since ww's are not the type to attack chaotic beings. Chaotic was used as a term in description of npc's in the t2a strategy book. The fact that the ww's won't all be wasting spells on a flippin npc unless attacked directly on it, is spectacular for guarding. They will be holding a spell and as soon as a player 1 tile away from the ww's tampers- spells from the wyrms who are not randomly attack a lich or what have you, we will assume this to be 4, The spells will be flung at that player. Also to mention 3 if not all 4 will make a melee swing just because they literally move that fast and one tile isn't far. That's a lot of dmg prolly death.
Same scenario with dragons, 5x but we'll say 2 if not more (honestly how often will a dragon sit there while a lich is around) will be attacking a lich or whatever. So we down to 3x instant spells as compared to the 4x from the wyrms. We'll say all the dragons attempt the melee swing. 3x hits from dragons would prolly be close to 4x wyrms hits as far as melee goes. But 4x up to circle 7 compared to 3x up to circle 5 to 6. the melee wouldn't out weigh the spell dmg.
The movement speed is hindered and the spell use is ha. Dragons not listening as much meaning they need to be fed more often than wyrms. The dragon breath never happens when you need it unless you're just using a mess ton (if you are using a lot then quit screwing around & make epic videos of 200 chickens killing a bally or sumfin.) Dragons hard hitting melees are great if they are stacked but that's turret talk. "Walking around" the wyrms rock especially if you can peace a "oops guy i sorry- i mass cursed YO FACE!" mistake. Not sure why looting with a character that you're just playing while the other sits there and uses a if to check hp and target self with heal or whatever. I don't know be creative if you want more of a challenge learn to alt tab. The fact that we can all use multiple accounts is great. I used 2 accounts during t2a and it made a huge difference. You can literally make a new style with any combo of characters. but that's another subject i'm all jaw'd out here. And still haven't really answered your question- it's late give me a break.
What gives is dragons and drakes are the type of beast that are angered easily when attempting to tame them and they honestly listen the worst of any tamed animal/beast. They also can attack reds randomly(more often than any other pets besides mares) and not only reds but npcs that would normally attack a innocent.
hope something is readable.

Mikel123
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mikel123 »

Loathed wrote:Dragons and drakes are more likely to not listen
This would have to be a bug, right? Wyrms take more taming skill to tame and thus should be harder to control.

I prefer dragons for hunting everything but balrons and ancient wyrms. Dragons firebreath is hefty and IMO more than makes up for the damage that wyrms do with their high-end spells. Plus it's not resistable and not reflectable. Balrons and wyrms though, get their health low enough that their firebreath is not at full capacity for most of the fight, in which case I think wyrms would be better.

Wyrms should melee harder than dragons though; not sure if Loathed has ever quantified this to determine the opposite, but again if it turns out that is the case then I think it's an accuracy issue as well.

Loathed

Post by Loathed »

while i see what ur saying about the dragon breath being superior as far as dmg and not reflectable thing. should get a handfull of dragons say 5 and see how many times they fire breath and compare that dmg to the high end spells that are casted every 6 seconds by wyrms, i am betting wyrms in that sense out dmg the fire breath

Return to “New Player Help”