How do you survive and flourish as an unfunded mage?

Moderator: Support Moderators

Foxhound3857

How do you survive and flourish as an unfunded mage?

Post by Foxhound3857 »

I lost my primary account which had a good 300k gold on it and some other nice stuff, so I've started fresh on a new account with nothing. My template is 49 fishing, 1 magery, 50 resist. I'm working on raising my Fishing as high as it'll go without being in deep water and using the bit of coin I get from pulling up fish and shoes to survive so far. I managed to earn enough to train my magery to 32.

I've never played a dedicated Mage before, and as I understand it, the cost of reagents adds up quickly. So is there anything I should know that will help me to survive and progress as a mage with no starting funds, and nobody to assist me?

nightshark
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Re: How do you survive and flourish as an unfunded mage?

Post by nightshark »

felix wrote:make a bard
<green> grats pink and co. .... the 3 of you f---ing scrubs together can blow up a bard. IMPRESSIVE

Foxhound3857

Post by Foxhound3857 »

I don't want to.

son
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!
Location: I put an r in it http://my.uosecondage.com/Status/Player/67484

Post by son »

make a bard
rdash wrote:BLACKFOOT STAY AWAY FROM MY FRIENDS OR MEET A BLADE OF VANQUISH AND ADDITIONAL TACTICS

Moppety

Post by Moppety »

make a bard

Foxhound3857

Post by Foxhound3857 »

What's with all the make a bard comments? I don't want a bard. I want a MAGE.

son
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!
Location: I put an r in it http://my.uosecondage.com/Status/Player/67484

Post by son »

Make a bard with magery
rdash wrote:BLACKFOOT STAY AWAY FROM MY FRIENDS OR MEET A BLADE OF VANQUISH AND ADDITIONAL TACTICS

Foxhound3857

Post by Foxhound3857 »

How about doing it as I originally planned? Mage/EvalInt/Med/Resist/Fishing/Carto/Lockpicking.

I'm a treasure hunting mage.

rouss

Post by rouss »

You're free to do whatever you want to do; However, you won't be able to make ends meet as a mage until you have ~ 80 magery (to ebolt).

If you really wanna do treasure hunting, this template is not viable : first, you want to have wrestling so you arent being hit 100% times, second - high level tmaps spawn high level creatures that could only be dealt with an energy vortex and recent patch nerfed them.

So, if you're really determined to do treasure hunting you really wanna have bard skills.
Chesapeake Nov. 1998 — July 2000
Second Age Feb. 2009 —

nightshark
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by nightshark »

How about doing it as I originally planned? Mage/EvalInt/Med/Resist/Fishing/Carto/Lockpicking.

Alright, go with that if your goal is to make fish steaks.

Thread seems pretty pointless since you already made your mind up.
Last edited by nightshark on Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
<green> grats pink and co. .... the 3 of you f---ing scrubs together can blow up a bard. IMPRESSIVE

Foxhound3857

Post by Foxhound3857 »

nightshark wrote:

Alright, go with that if your goal is to make fish steaks.

Thread seems pretty pointless since you already made your mind up. Mods can now delete/lock.
Well I asked for advice, and nobody suggested anything other than bard. That's a little too selective. I was hoping for several options, not just one.

What kind of damage is Wrestling capable of with 100 Str and Tactics?
Last edited by Foxhound3857 on Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

nightshark
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by nightshark »

Your template with cartography and lockpicking seems geared towards being a bard. Fishing is okay for gold if you run 3 clients doing it.

Foxhound3857

Post by Foxhound3857 »

nightshark wrote:Your template with cartography and lockpicking seems geared towards being a bard. Fishing is okay for gold if you run 3 clients doing it.
I really am unsure about the carto/lockpicking aspect. I would only be comfortable going that route if I had a solid PvE guild to do that sort of thing with. As it stands, Fishing/Mage/EvalInt/Res/Med is what's on the table. Someone suggested Wrestling, and I might be game for that if I know what kind of damage it does and how it helps you as a Mage.

Pirul

Post by Pirul »

1.- Fish up as much money as you can to buy up a lockpicking set which you will use to macro to 95 LPing
2.- Macro up hiding and stealth (which you will drop later)
3.- Go lockping dungeon chests to get your LPing to 100 (take EVERYTHING from the chests)
4.- Macro magery as soon as you have some money to get a decent cache of regs.

Wrestling damage is so low it is basically non-existant. You want wrestling for the defensive aspect of it (getting interrupted only 1/2 of the time you're trying to cast with someone hitting you). However, it really is only useful for PvP, as in PvM you can outrun almost any creature without too much trouble.
<ian> 2 chicks making out are not gay

the bazookas
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by the bazookas »

^. As soon as you have ~80 magery, go to shame level 2 and blast air elementals. Watch out for PKs.

I would also recommend getting runes (if you don't want anyone to mark them for you, then I'll sell you some mark scrolls--or they have some on some vendors, I think) to various cotton fields / sheep pens, since you can sell wool and cotton for pretty good money (even just to NPC's, in case you don't want to sell bandages to other players)
Foxhound3857 wrote:49 fishing, 1 magery, 50 resist
Honestly, I would highly recommend you restart with 49 fishing, 50 magery, and 1 tinkering. You have a chance (about 1%) to get a newbie blank key (which is worth >a tower deed), and the "1" skill doesn't do anything for you anyway. You can get resist up to 55.0 using firefield in about 30 minutes... far less of an investment than getting MAGERY up from 30, which is a bummer (unless it's what you enjoy ;))
Most people like us, or at least they like what we do. Regardless, we appreciate all our victims, and we hope that their encounter with us is a memorable one.
-a machine gun, a bazooka, and a grenade
... a not-for-profit organization (usually)