Tamer build question

Moderator: Support Moderators

SorienGuard

Tamer build question

Post by SorienGuard »

So sort of new player here, played back during the era on OSI and have a question about my build. Looking for suggestions/ etc. What I'm after is a farmer with 2 dragon. Not really interested in a dragon army.

Animal Lore - 100
Taming - 95.1
Magery - 95.2
Meditation -100
Hiding - 100
Lockpicking - 95
Fishing - 100

• - I GMed fishing before I started building anything else - hence the fishing it was my money maker to start the build, as I tend to play one character at a time without outside income etc... Think Siege Perilous. That said I'm about ready to drop it as I no longer need the income.
    - Lockpicking I'll drop as it is easy enough to hit 95 on a dexxer - the original intent was to compliment my wife's bard/cart for treasure-hunting which a dexxer to finish off the mobs might be a better fit there.
    - And I find Hiding helps both for clearing mob aggro and the quick run hide recall pk/killer blue escape - maybe I'm using it as a crutch.
That said I realize I'm currently gimping myself with 2 maybe 3 none essential skills.

What should I pick and why?

Vet - I get why this one matters and I'm all but sold on it (Probably dropping Lockpicking for it)
Eval - This would let me farm without the hassle of pets occasionally as a pure mage.
Wrestling - I don't really get within melee range so I need to be shown why I need it. I'm not really convinced.
Resist - apart from PKs which I don't plan to engage; again why do I need it?
Tracking - Potentially to hunt for nightmares, frenzied, etc. Is it really that worth it?

Any others? Again I know the build templates, I'm just curious as tamers what works and what do you use that you like/find essential to your play-style. What is a must have skill and what is a nice to have skill. I know mileage may very but I'm currently torn in a few different directions.

Thanks in advance

mrbojangles
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: Tamer build question

Post by mrbojangles »

Raise taming past 95. You don't have to GM it, but 95 is a little low. Lockpicking is fine, and can be a good way to kill time while your dragon is doing all the work. Drop fishing, it has no place in this template at all. Raise Vet, because if youre only using 2 drags, they will get hurt, and Gheal will not be sufficient to keep them healed well.

edit: And I prefer wrestling over resist for pvm characters. Even just sneaking in a few points, like 30, can drastically improve your chances of escaping from a pk, or getting a recall off when cornered by monsters.
Last edited by mrbojangles on Sat Jul 28, 2012 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Omar Little(irc) / Mr Bojangles / Bowie / Snake Plisken / Martin Van Buren / Dirty Ore

Visit the The Yew Gate Shop for everything you need.

SorienGuard

Post by SorienGuard »

Yeah I fully intent to gm taming - these are just my current levels - I'm planning to 7X

Pirul

Post by Pirul »

I like vet because I'm a cheap bastard, but it's not essential. Wrestling does go a long way, and I do think it's much better to have over resist or eval. My tamer's build is very similar to yours with wrestling and vet instead of fishing and LPing.
<ian> 2 chicks making out are not gay

SorienGuard

Post by SorienGuard »

Yeah I've dropped lockpicking already and after a night of macroing my vet is at 67ish. Along those line, the higher my vet is do I heal for more per bandage? e.g. what can I reasonably expect to heal for at say 90 vet on a dragon? How much of their bar?

I'm also thinking of spitting the last 100 from fishing between wrestling and tracking. Is this gimping myself or what? This is what I'm looking towards now: I'm reading there is no reason to gm vet other then for bragging rights and 80 hiding is more then sufficient so that gives me 130 to play with between Wrestling and Tracking. I've never used Tracking before though so I may find I'm not a fan that they I would just straight 7x.

100 Taming
100 Lore
100 Magery
100 Meditation
90 Vet
80 Hiding
80 Tracking
50 Wrestling

I'm reading there is no reason to gm vet other then for bragging rights and 80 hiding is more then sufficient so that gives me 130 to play with between Wrestling and Tracking. I've never used Tracking before though so I may find I'm not a fan; then I would just straight 7x.

Any thoughts?
Last edited by SorienGuard on Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

son
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!
Location: I put an r in it http://my.uosecondage.com/Status/Player/67484

Post by son »

Vet heals a ton of hps, way more than magery.
rdash wrote:BLACKFOOT STAY AWAY FROM MY FRIENDS OR MEET A BLADE OF VANQUISH AND ADDITIONAL TACTICS

Batterdhart

Post by Batterdhart »

Back on Atlantic, I made serious money with 10 WWs camping the entire dungeon of Destard. I occasionally took 4 to Elder gazer room. When my account sold, I had a castle, 106 million gold, and a lot of maxed crafting skills. But I quit as Power scrolls were out, so 120 Skill was something I did before I quit. But prior to Power Scrolls, I was:
100 Mage
100 Med
100 Eval
100 Tame
100 Lore
100 Vet
100 Resist

Now this was a char that did good in Tram and Fel. I could tame, resist anything a mare or dragon cast at me, resist any spells that were thrown at me by PKers, and when I applied a bandage to a dragon, it healed it completely.

Return to “New Player Help”