help with character templates please!

Moderator: Support Moderators

Sir QuiGon

help with character templates please!

Post by Sir QuiGon »

Okay, started here a little over a week ago and could use some help with character temps if no one minds :)

lets start with my fencer which i have multiple ideas for

Code: Select all

100 Fence
100 Tact
100 Parry
100 Anat
100 Heal
100 Resist
70 hide
30 mage

This I imagine is pretty standard for most pure dexxers, but what I dont like is there is still a high chance at failing in recall, esp in a sticky situation.

100 Fence
100 Tact
100 Anat
100 Heal
100 Resist
80 Hide
80 mage
40 Tracking

Now, with this one; 80 magery for the ability to cast reflect, but with 80 mage do I really need hide since i can cast invis?

100 Fence
100 Tact
100 Anat
100 Heal
100 Resist
80 Hide
60 Mage
60 Tracking

I happen to like this one the most, seems to have the most survivability imo.
This one will be a little weird but here goes lol

Smith/t-hunter

100 smith
100 mining
100 item ID
100 Cartography
100 Lockpicking
100 remove Trap
100 Hiding

bard

100 Music
100 Provo
100 Mage
100 Eval
100 Med
80 Hide
60 resist
60 Tracking

I realize 60 resist is not that goo but I am just looking to survive a flamestrike lol tracking and hiding to avoid those PKs.
as for my tamer, is there any other temp then the standard mage tamer?

Just looking for some input on these. The dexxer I am not sure which to go with.
UO experience:
Atlantic 1997-2005
Characters:
Gandalf
Bowen
Sir QuiGon
Sir Gandalf

Mikel123
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Re: help with character templates please!

Post by Mikel123 »

For your fencer, ask yourself why you want Magery, Hiding, and Tracking.

If you want to cast level 6 spells without fail, you want 90.1 Magery.
If you want to Hide without fail, you want 100.0 Hiding.
If you want to Track someone on-screen, you want 20.0 Tracking.
If you want to track people off-screen, you want >20.0 Tracking.
And of course, you want 100.0 Wrestling if you ever expect to be swung at while trying to cast.

For the Smith/t-mapper, not having magery is going to make your treasure hunting pretty painful. You'd need an alternate character to gate you to some chests, as many of them are on islands. You also have no real way to defend yourself from the monsters that spawn. I suppose you could gate your t-mapper to the chest, dig it up and unlock it and then RUN and hide, and then use your alt to battle the monsters and pull the treasure out...

For the bard, you need 100 wrestling. And probably don't need Hiding. And definitely don't need tracking.

For a tamer, you really want to go with a mage, since gating pets around requires lots of mana. So I'd say:

Magery, Meditation, Wrestling, Taming, Animal Lore

Your last two spots can be:
Resist
Veterinary
Hiding
Music & Peacemaking

I go with the top two because it Vet allows me to have my dragon(s) fight things like Ancient Wyrms and Balrons, and gives me the most survivability. Others have had success with Hiding instead of Resist for survivability (both vs PKs and monsters). Hiding and letting your dragons provide cover for you is always a nice solution.

Sir QuiGon

Post by Sir QuiGon »

Mikel123 wrote: For the Smith/t-mapper, not having magery is going to make your treasure hunting pretty painful. You'd need an alternate character to gate you to some chests, as many of them are on islands. You also have no real way to defend yourself from the monsters that spawn. I suppose you could gate your t-mapper to the chest, dig it up and unlock it and then RUN and hide, and then use your alt to battle the monsters and pull the treasure out...
that was pretty much my intention until i start meeting a few people in game.
Mikel123 wrote:For your fencer, ask yourself why you want Magery, Hiding, and Tracking.

If you want to cast level 6 spells without fail, you want 90.1 Magery.
If you want to Hide without fail, you want 100.0 Hiding.
If you want to Track someone on-screen, you want 20.0 Tracking.
If you want to track people off-screen, you want >20.0 Tracking.
And of course, you want 100.0 Wrestling if you ever expect to be swung at while trying to cast.
okay so, as a dexxer is wrestle really feasable?

think i am going to go with this

100 Fence
100 Tact
100 Anat
100 Heal
100 Resist
80 Mage
80 Hide
40 Tracking
bard

100 Music
100 Provo
100 Mage
100 Eval
100 Med
100 wrestle
100 resist
Im 80 hiding right now figured id keep it at least until Im decent in mage...

for the tamer im going the vet/resist route
UO experience:
Atlantic 1997-2005
Characters:
Gandalf
Bowen
Sir QuiGon
Sir Gandalf

TheManWithNoName

Post by TheManWithNoName »

personally i think you should keep all crafting skills on a dedicated crafting character.

a great t-hunter template is:
100 music
100 provo
100 magery
100 med
100 cartography
100 lockpicking
100 wrestling (or some choose hiding, resist, eval)

you can solo any level map on that build. just use a good tmap rune library and you will recall right next to the chest so you can dig it up with the 1-tile 0 mining radius. provoke the spawn, finish off with magery, pick the chest, pop with telekinesis, loot, etc. on the higher level maps if you really need to hide just run off screen and invis, or carry an invis item to toggle. then just make sure you always keep reflect up. wrestling is the best option for the 7th skill imo because it can save a 40+ hp hit from that balron that spawns right next to you after digging up a lvl 5 map.

you can train up to 95 lockpicking in a day, but in order to gm you will need to hit the dungeon chests. also make sure you keep 60 detect hidden skill temporarily so you can pick the higher level chests until you gm lockpicking, then you can drop detect and pick any level chest. it also might be wise to temporarily have a good amount of hiding, maybe even stealth, while you spend the time gm'ing lockpicking in the dungeons. plus you can always go out barding if you feel like it.
IRC: NoName

Sir QuiGon

Post by Sir QuiGon »

TheManWithNoName wrote:personally i think you should keep all crafting skills on a dedicated crafting character.

a great t-hunter template is:
100 music
100 provo
100 magery
100 med
100 cartography
100 lockpicking
100 wrestling (or some choose hiding, resist, eval)

you can solo any level map on that build. just use a good tmap rune library and you will recall right next to the chest so you can dig it up with the 1-tile 0 mining radius. provoke the spawn, finish off with magery, pick the chest, pop with telekinesis, loot, etc. on the higher level maps if you really need to hide just run off screen and invis, or carry an invis item to toggle. then just make sure you always keep reflect up. wrestling is the best option for the 7th skill imo because it can save a 40+ hp hit from that balron that spawns right next to you after digging up a lvl 5 map.

you can train up to 95 lockpicking in a day, but in order to gm you will need to hit the dungeon chests. also make sure you keep 60 detect hidden skill temporarily so you can pick the higher level chests until you gm lockpicking, then you can drop detect and pick any level chest. it also might be wise to temporarily have a good amount of hiding, maybe even stealth, while you spend the time gm'ing lockpicking in the dungeons. plus you can always go out barding if you feel like it.

My issue with that is I already am making a bard and I have no desire to work on another mage atm(I have 3 right now lol) and i decided to get rid of the smithing and go with DH.

so thats
100 Detect Hidden
100 mining
100 item ID
100 Cartography
100 Lockpicking
100 remove Trap
100 Hiding
as long as I bring my bard with me are there any issues?

also I am debating getting rid of mining as well as long as I use a T-map library
what could I use instead?
UO experience:
Atlantic 1997-2005
Characters:
Gandalf
Bowen
Sir QuiGon
Sir Gandalf

TheManWithNoName

well if you really want a dedicated t-hunter char, the template i mentioned is probably the best solo choice. training magery/med without resist is pretty painless (and cheap) in comparison to when you do train resist hehe. with 15 char slots don't pigeon hole yourself by saying "i already have a bard" or not wanting to train another mage. i have 3 tank mages, 2 dexers with gm magery, my t-hunter, my scribe, plus more...that is a lot of magery training!

since there are so many readily available t-map rune libraries around, having mining is worthless imo. heck for about 70k you could just buy your own personal set. my t-hunter has her own set in the bank. i would also say remove trap is totally pointless because you can manually trigger a dungeon chest trap by opening the chest from 2 tiles away and take no damage; you can also trigger a t-map chest with the telekinesis spell from 4 tiles away and take no damage. then i would also put item ID on a crafting char, since you really don't need to ID anything on the spot...and once you start collecting ID wands it is so much faster to ID using those vs. the 10 sec cool down of the skill use. so that's 300 skill points you could free up, which would make the most sense to morph your char closer to the template i posted.

Sir QuiGon

Post by Sir QuiGon »

TheManWithNoName wrote:well if you really want a dedicated t-hunter char, the template i mentioned is probably the best solo choice. training magery/med without resist is pretty painless (and cheap) in comparison to when you do train resist hehe. with 15 char slots don't pigeon hole yourself by saying "i already have a bard" or not wanting to train another mage. i have 3 tank mages, 2 dexers with gm magery, my t-hunter, my scribe, plus more...that is a lot of magery training!

since there are so many readily available t-map rune libraries around, having mining is worthless imo. heck for about 70k you could just buy your own personal set. my t-hunter has her own set in the bank. i would also say remove trap is totally pointless because you can manually trigger a dungeon chest trap by opening the chest from 2 tiles away and take no damage; you can also trigger a t-map chest with the telekinesis spell from 4 tiles away and take no damage. then i would also put item ID on a crafting char, since you really don't need to ID anything on the spot...and once you start collecting ID wands it is so much faster to ID using those vs. the 10 sec cool down of the skill use. so that's 300 skill points you could free up, which would make the most sense to morph your char closer to the template i posted.

that's true. I know with all the char slots there is deff room. But that wasn't the issue.

I only JUST started here lol as such atm working on one char with magery can be expensive lol. and trying to make gold isn't easy when all the decent hunting spots seem to be frequented by reds lol Im not really complaining, its just taking on that many mage chars right now doesn't seem that feasible lol. I suppose that means this char will have to wait lol
UO experience:
Atlantic 1997-2005
Characters:
Gandalf
Bowen
Sir QuiGon
Sir Gandalf

TheManWithNoName

don't be afraid of crafting. i funded my first tank, dexer/healer, and scribe with my tailor. you can pick all your own cotton/wool for free to train tailoring up to ~75. after that continue making robes for a while selling them to npc's, you will be making 3400ish gold per 100 robes for zero cost. you can just recall around the cotton/sheep spawns every so often to build up a nice stock of cloth on the side as you continue barding. then save all the hides/leather, depending on the mobs you are barding, so you can continue training tailoring, or budget some gold to buy hides from the tanner shops. there is even more profit to be made by selling back leather armor items once you gm tailoring.

alternatively you can start spending your gold right away to train a scribe. you only need to train him up to 80.1 magery/gm med and with a full spellbook he would be able to scribe any scroll. the success/failure rate is based on the inscription skill, not your magery skill. building a scribe will actually pay for itself by the time you gm inscription, plus profit. though with telamon's scribe operation macros being publicly released there is probably more competition selling scrolls back to npcs compared to when i was doing it a few months ago.

you could even start a fisher for the cost of a small boat and be gm in a few days. by the time you gm fishing you will have pulled some lvl 1 tmaps, and after gm you will start pulling mibs. that is free money doing the maps/mibs yourself, or save a bunch and just sell them straight up. mibs are always selling super fast on the forums i've noticed.

point being, with 3 accounts you can expand your gold making opportunities. bard on your main account, while you train gold makers on your other two.

son
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!
Location: I put an r in it http://my.uosecondage.com/Status/Player/67484

Post by son »

There is never a situation where a non 7x char is better than a 7x char
rdash wrote:BLACKFOOT STAY AWAY FROM MY FRIENDS OR MEET A BLADE OF VANQUISH AND ADDITIONAL TACTICS

Sir QuiGon

Post by Sir QuiGon »

TheManWithNoName wrote:don't be afraid of crafting. i funded my first tank, dexer/healer, and scribe with my tailor. you can pick all your own cotton/wool for free to train tailoring up to ~75. after that continue making robes for a while selling them to npc's, you will be making 3400ish gold per 100 robes for zero cost. you can just recall around the cotton/sheep spawns every so often to build up a nice stock of cloth on the side as you continue barding. then save all the hides/leather, depending on the mobs you are barding, so you can continue training tailoring, or budget some gold to buy hides from the tanner shops. there is even more profit to be made by selling back leather armor items once you gm tailoring.

alternatively you can start spending your gold right away to train a scribe. you only need to train him up to 80.1 magery/gm med and with a full spellbook he would be able to scribe any scroll. the success/failure rate is based on the inscription skill, not your magery skill. building a scribe will actually pay for itself by the time you gm inscription, plus profit. though with telamon's scribe operation macros being publicly released there is probably more competition selling scrolls back to npcs compared to when i was doing it a few months ago.

you could even start a fisher for the cost of a small boat and be gm in a few days. by the time you gm fishing you will have pulled some lvl 1 tmaps, and after gm you will start pulling mibs. that is free money doing the maps/mibs yourself, or save a bunch and just sell them straight up. mibs are always selling super fast on the forums i've noticed.

point being, with 3 accounts you can expand your gold making opportunities. bard on your main account, while you train gold makers on your other two.
well I took a look at the telamon post and it seems too advanced for me lol, and as far as sitting there making stuff for a few hours to make what? 5-6k lol its kind of boring lol

dont get me wrong. I started as a crafter in OSI. but it seemed more lucrative a crafter than here. i mean i would personally rather sell to players and that just doesnt seem to be going on here without a decent vendor spot lol. I guess I miss the time when the bank was pretty much a marketplace lol
UO experience:
Atlantic 1997-2005
Characters:
Gandalf
Bowen
Sir QuiGon
Sir Gandalf

TheManWithNoName

this is just rough math so not 100% accurate, but a scribe making energy bolt scrolls for a few hours would be making you like 40k+, not 5-6 hehe. granted you lose some in the cost of regs/scrolls. so one day (like 3-4 hours) of running your scribe macro, could fund gm magery on another char, the next day it could help fund resist, etc. the bonus is you can just run the scroll making macro unattended while you bard on your other account still making gold. then just run around selling the scrolls every so often and it will add up faster than you think.

you don't need to run telamon's macros either, i just brought it up because the "system" of selling scrolls to npc's is such a high profit margin. his macros were setup to basically do everything almost completely hands-free and it is definitely more advanced that some people can handle. but you can still do something similar with simple macros. all you need is a scribe making macro that organizes the completed scrolls into a container. once you get 1000 or so built up, get yourself a runebook with all the mage shops marked and start taking the scrolls around selling them, usually 25-30 at each shop per trip. it doesn't even have to be scrolls, as i mentioned a tailor earlier, you can do the same system by making mass amounts of leather armor items and taking trips around the tanner shops selling them instead. depending on the item, the cost of making vs. selling almost always yields a 2-3x profit gain. yes it's small per item, but it adds up and is a fool-proof way to make money when you're first starting out.

it's not that there isn't a lot of player to player selling here, it's the fact the market is flooded with it really. there are so many vendors around and a lot of them just try undercutting each other by a hundred gold or so. i just found it to be a steadier/reliable income to sell to npc's on a regular basis, especially when first starting out. i also ended up gm'ing every crafting skill across a couple chars because i like being self-sufficient versus having to buy everything off someone else. i mean i still buy resources/supplies in bulk from another player because i'm too lazy to gather stuff myself anymore, but i still make my own hallys/kegs/etc.

Sir QuiGon

Post by Sir QuiGon »

prob is il not there yet lol im still 50 magery lol. working on it with my scribe but gains seem to relatively slow. im goping im not out of gold before i get to eb =P

also the idea of doing unattended requires having enough regs on hand. setting up a restock agent which i am still unsure of lol also the idea of making that much requires I have runes to most towns to sell to npc's lol.

and i understand being self sufficient but I wont make a smith or a tailor unless i can turn a decent profit with them lol

and if everyone who played was that way there wouldnt be much selling to players going on and that was one of my favorite aspecs of UO :/
UO experience:
Atlantic 1997-2005
Characters:
Gandalf
Bowen
Sir QuiGon
Sir Gandalf

Return to “New Player Help”