Some Mage Templates possible?

Moderator: Support Moderators

kcilds

Some Mage Templates possible?

Post by kcilds »

Heya! First post!
First time playing UO, cause i hadnt PC in the 90's. But man what a game :D
So ... i was just macroing my skills and while i wait it to level i keep thinking of what ill do with my 3rd char account?

*I already have an ProvokeBardMage thats under training(almost 3 days of life)
and an Warrior Swordsman in training (only 1 day of life).*

So i was looking at the skills and start to imagine templates. I passed the idea of an Wandering Warrior
where he have some life skills and is a wandering fisherman. But im still beggining and have no money,
so i prefered a build that i can really get money from PvE (yeah! I love PvE). And get these Temps:

All Temp Stats:
STR 100
DEX 25
INT 100

MonkMage
Evaluating Intelligence
Healing
Magery
Meditation
Resisting Spells
Tactics
Wrestling
Intention:Just making your punchs strong enough to finish something if needed.
What I Dunno: if the punch final damage worth.

IDMage
Evaluating Intelligence
Healing
Magery
Meditation
Resisting Spells
Item ID
Wrestling
Intention:Make itens better not only to the char but for other chars.
What I Dunno:I dunno if i get what Item ID do.. i understood that it make the item enhaced with prefix and sufix. If i get it wrong ignore this template.

InscripterMage
Evaluating Intelligence
Healing
Magery
Meditation
Resisting Spells
Intention:Create your own scrolls and, obviously, Runebooks.
What I Dunno:Dunno if the inscription have scrolls that you cant get from NPC's or Monsters.

ChemMage
Evaluating Intelligence
Alchemy
Magery
Meditation
Resisting Spells
Inscription OR Item ID OR Tatics
Wrestling
Intention:A lot of potion variety.
What I Dunno:Dunno if healing potions are better then healing skill, but i think if it isnt the template still have a point cause the other potions are nice.

Ohhh great lords ancient players of UO! please tell me what i want to know:
1-Wrestling + Tatics worth?
2-Inscription really is awesome?
3-Item ID really gimme the enhanced itens?
4-Healing or Alchemy?
5-If the answer of 4 is:
"Alchemy cause healing dont cure poison". Or something like this. So if i go for Heal+Anatomy(anatomy replace tatics) worthit?

Ty :)

Apocalypse

Re: Some Mage Templates possible?

Post by Apocalypse »

A mage doesn't really need healing (since it can cast the heal spell and greater heal spell), so I would drop healing for a weapon skill (most go with swordsmanship).

Or, if you're set on healing, I would drop tactics (adds like 50% or something to damage, and since wrestling damage is nada, you're not really benefitting from it) and add anatomy since healing without anatomy just doesn't make sense.

If you want things like alchemy, item ID, and inscription, just make a mule char with those (you'll also need magery on the mule for inscription).
Last edited by Apocalypse on Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kcilds

So...

Post by kcilds »

So to an pure mage

Evaluating Intelligence
Healing
Magery
Meditation
Resisting Spells
Anatomy
Wrestling

The thing of getting any weapon is like useless imo. so i think keep the heal is the best option cause u dont rely on magic to heal your self!
i dunno cause i hvnt get strong yet. But i think in pvp and some pve could be hard to use heal magic and cure cause can be mana waste and time waste if the enemy damage is coming with a predictable frequence.

But anyway the final Template that a mage really takes is

Evaluating Intelligence
Animal Tame
Magery
Meditation OR Veterinary
Resisting Spells OR Veterinary
Animal Lore
Wrestling

Am I Right?

anyway Thank You :D
any other opinion just post.
Any AMAZING or THE BEST PvE build post it to me plz.

Love PvE
Hate Bards
^^v

Apocalypse

Post by Apocalypse »

For PVP, the vast majority go with the following:

Eval Int
Magery
Meditation
Resist
Swordsmanship
Tactics
Wrestling

There is a reason so many choose this template. Healing yourself with bandages takes 15 seconds. Casting greater heal is instant and recovering the used mana (11 I think) with GM meditation takes maybe 5 seconds tops (haven't tested) if you're actively meditating (using the skill). Passive mana regen with GM med probably still puts you under the 15 second timer to regain the lost mana. Plus, during that 15 seconds you're waiting for your heal to be applied, you can be hit numerous times which can affect the amount of HP's you're able to heal, or worse yet, you could be poisoned, at which point your "heal" becomes a "cure" and no damage is healed, thus making you go through the whole process over again and wait another 15 seconds.

Others may post after me and disagree, but IMO healing has no place on a mage template.

On your monkmage character, your concern was making your punches strong enough to finish off something. That won't happen. That is why I suggest a weapon skill. If you're looking for something to "finish" off a monster, a weapon skill is going to be MUCH more effective than trying to punch it to death. The only reason wrestling is a must for a mage is to avoid spell casting interruptions, not for dealing damage.

Your tamer template looks good. Personally, I went with hiding instead of eval int, but many here will disagree with me on that.

kcilds

Post by kcilds »

get it!

I didnt know the med works passively too.
So i agree with you that heal is worthless in Mage temps.

Thank you Apocalypse!
:)

archaicsubrosa77
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by archaicsubrosa77 »

Healing and Hiding can be worth it.
Derrick wrote:I wish it were possible that a mount could be whacked while you are riding it, but to the best of my knowedge it is not.

Return to “New Player Help”