Patch 124 - Feb 2, 2010: Shard Stability, Speeds, Exp. Pots

Information on the latest Server Patches
Boone
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: Patch 124 - Feb 2, 2010: Shard Stability, Speeds, Exp. Pots

Post by Boone »

I must say I don't remember them being that fast either.

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

Lo Pan wrote:why such a drastic increase to the speed of these creatures? granted its been a long time since i played t2a but i don't remember them every being that fast. (aside from silver serpents)
Assuming you mean Teratheans and Ophids. The speed of these creatures was commented on by many players, but the biggest indicator that they were moving too slow was the jumpiness of their animation at their previous speed. We moved them up a single step, and their movement looks proper now anyway, but i will of course continue to listen on this issue, and hope that something comes up that either confirms or refutes these changes.
"The text in this article or section may be incoherent or very hard to understand, and should be reworded if the intended meaning can be determined."

Lo Pan

Post by Lo Pan »

yes, to clarify i did mean terrathians and ophidians. sorry for not specifying in previous post. well in any event, it just seemed to me that the jump in speed was pretty drastic and i just was curious as to why. thank you for the quick reply.

Alulim

Post by Alulim »

Lo Pan wrote:why such a drastic increase to the speed of these creatures? granted its been a long time since i played t2a but i don't remember them every being that fast. (aside from silver serpents)
I agree, I remember silver serpents were the only creatures that could move without pausing between steps

Faust

Post by Faust »

Creatures were dreadfully slow during the pre-t2a time frame as shown on the demo.

I don't remember most creatures being quick at all. Most creatures became very quicker during the UOR time frame.

One creature that I do remember being pretty quick without pauses were EV's though.

HI IM MIKE

Post by HI IM MIKE »

Faust wrote:Creatures were dreadfully slow during the pre-t2a time frame as shown on the demo.

I don't remember most creatures being quick at all. Most creatures became very quicker during the UOR time frame.

One creature that I do remember being pretty quick without pauses were EV's though.
good for you.
nightshark wrote:I can't comment on going out looking for fights for the sake of fights in the field because it's never been something I've been interested in.

Faust

Post by Faust »

HI IM MIKE wrote: good for you.
Nice waste of bandwidth as usual, but nothing new there, eh.

benny-

Post by benny- »

I remember EV's being faster as well. Some of this could be attributed to the increased lag that existed during the era, but they were definitely faster. A friend of mine used to pk by casting ev and spamming para to slow the target down....was an effective tactic at the time.
- Elisud

Faust

Post by Faust »

Defintely true, benny.

This is exactly the same thing that I remember with them.

MatronDeWinter
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by MatronDeWinter »

Faust wrote:Defintely true, benny.

This is exactly the same thing that I remember with them.
Agree.
I spend/spent alot of time on foot, and an EV meant certain death.

Mikel123
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mikel123 »

I remember I was on a college T1 in 1999, and I was pinging 300+ ms to the live servers (with an average of probably 1% packet loss). EVs are pretty fast as it is, against someone on foot, and I could see them being sure-death if you're pinging 300ms.

Alex21
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Alex21 »

So the animations are ment to look smooth at the creatures speed?

I've noticed a lot of things, such as pack horses have really jumpy animations, should creatures not be able to keep up at walking speed? currently there are very few monsters i found that cannot be walked away from.
The First Player Of UO Second Age.

Faust

Post by Faust »

RunUO may have been break through emulation software for Ultima Online, but their code for the movement of npc's has been the worst of the worst for any emulator out there.

This has been something that no shard has ever been able to fixed for some reason.

The movement when a creature is block would be a great example of this. The creatures will jerk around walking back and forth when they should simply stand still in the blocked state watching their combatant.

This process is very apparent on the demo since pathfinding never changed from that point until the SmartAI adjustment during or a little after the UOR publish.

Ifrit

Post by Ifrit »

I can't speak for how they are now, I haven't checked out the keep since the patch.
But I certainly remember teras and ophidians (especially) being much much faster on OSI in t2a than they were when I went there a month or so ago.
The "Courtyard" if you will, in tera was ridiculous, and almost certain death back in the day.