Patch 127: March 19, 2010 - Magic Items, Core Timer, bugs

Information on the latest Server Patches
Mikel123
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Re: Patch 127: March 19, 2010 - Magic Items, Core Timer, bugs

Post by Mikel123 »

I do recall that as accurate, though I am not as reliable as I'd like to be.

I agree with son about making the charges accurate to era (which I think varied widely, actually). I was just talking about what to do with existing items.

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

Layt wrote:Can anyone confirm this is era-accurate? This feels more like a balance nerf than an era-accuracy update. I don't remember that at all! I'm passionately against this change, but I'll shut up immediately if I can see some reliable source.
The source is on page two of this thread:
Subject: Patch 127: March 19, 2010 - Magic Items, Core Timer, bugs
We don't balance.
"The text in this article or section may be incoherent or very hard to understand, and should be reworded if the intended meaning can be determined."

Faust

Post by Faust »

Mikel123 wrote: I agree with son about making the charges accurate to era (which I think varied widely, actually). I was just talking about what to do with existing items.
The solution is very simple... Keep pre-existing items 'grandfathered' just like everything else that has changed in the past. Re-adjust the new magic item count with the 'era accurate' charge amount and that is it.

Problem solved.

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

Faust wrote:
Mikel123 wrote: I agree with son about making the charges accurate to era (which I think varied widely, actually). I was just talking about what to do with existing items.
The solution is very simple... Keep pre-existing items 'grandfathered' just like everything else that has changed in the past. Re-adjust the new magic item count with the 'era accurate' charge amount and that is it.

Problem solved.
The problem here is that we've already started spawning items with the era accurate charges as of Friday morn, when we boosted the charges on the other item types.

Had i known of this change, we could have made an adjustment at that time; at this time things are a little more complex.
"The text in this article or section may be incoherent or very hard to understand, and should be reworded if the intended meaning can be determined."

Layt

Post by Layt »

Derrick wrote:
Layt wrote:Can anyone confirm this is era-accurate? This feels more like a balance nerf than an era-accuracy update. I don't remember that at all! I'm passionately against this change, but I'll shut up immediately if I can see some reliable source.
The source is on page two of this thread:
We don't balance.
Wow. Got it!

That does still leave the issue of existing items tho... I spent way more time than I would like to admit farming jewelry, and now these bags full of 3-15 charge items are absolutely worthless.

Was there a cap MR items could be generated with previously? How about boosting all items currently below that cap? (Only way this can be abused is by players who just started finding 75+s spamming away 70 of the charges for a refill, really not much of an issue)

Faust

Post by Faust »

I'm a bit confused Derrick... You said "The problem here is that we've already started spawning items with the era accurate charges as of Friday morn, when we boosted the charges on the other item types." inside of your post that sounds to me like you made the amount of charges era accurate on Friday but also boosted the charge amount on other items.

What do you mean by that exactly?

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

Faust wrote:I'm a bit confused Derrick... You said "The problem here is that we've already started spawning items with the era accurate charges as of Friday morn, when we boosted the charges on the other item types." inside of your post that sounds to me like you made the amount of charges era accurate on Friday but also boosted the charge amount on other items.

What do you mean by that exactly?
I know it was a big patch with a massive wall of text in the OP, but this info is in the patch notes:
Derrick wrote:
  • The number of charges on existing items effected by this was increased to compensate for this reduction.
  • Loot tables have been reworked for clothing and jewelry. Some rarer enchantment types may now be more common.
To explain the second item more fully, the revision of the loot tables also corrected the number of charges appearing on these items.

kill drizitz
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by kill drizitz »

changes are amazing, seriously! but on a side note, Layt does have a point, my reflect items with under 5 charges are almost worthless. not big deal, but i also have spent a large amount of my time gathering them.

quick question; is reflect the only item being used after 5 seconds? invis, and protection are set at 50 seconds now yes?

great, and i mean GREAT changes!

Flash Hardstar
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Flash Hardstar »

Quite frankly UO changed dramatically from 1997 to 1999, from tabbing out to hide, shooting arrows while running, and a cut and dry, simple fame system - to expanding the entire new facet of t2a. The demo can't be completely used in full, or we will just have a pre t2a shard as it was released with t2a before many changes.

Also, and this is just from memory, I remember reflect items auto reflecting anything thrown at me till the charges wore out (without having to re-equip or have charges burn over time). I'm surprised nobody referenced remembering that.. possibly the politics =/

In any event, I can't prove anything except what I remember in my head, but my food for thought.

(and no, this is not bias. In pvp this would make it easy for a mage to burn the charges with small spells)

The way it is now certainly makes it quite easy for me :) I will just equip the large charge items for less than a second, right before big spells come, and un-equip right after. Rinse and repeat and a mage cant do damage, or burn your charges :)
Last edited by Flash Hardstar on Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Red wrote:Kill Flash, and I'm going to bet that his loot is worth more than 2k.

Batlin
wobble llama
wobble llama

Post by Batlin »

Also, and this is just from memory, I remember reflect items auto reflecting anything thrown at me till the charges wore out (without having to re-equip or have charges burn over time). I'm surprised nobody referenced remembering that.. possibly the politics =/
Memory...

You did read the newsgroup posting from november 1999, right?

The only patch note I can find about "items of reflections" that changed their behaviour is from April 2000 where they would consume a charge every 60 seconds.
Items of reflection will take 60 seconds to charge.
After equipping a reflect item there will be a 60 second delay before the reflect is active.
This will use only one charge from the item.
The reflect will act in the same manner as if it had been cast by the character wearing the item.
Once the reflect is broken, the wearer must wait 60 seconds before the item will place another reflect spell.
+ORC: If you give a man a crack he'll be hungry again tomorrow, but if you teach him how to crack, he'll never be hungry again.
chumbucket: I don't collect pixels.

Never trust the client. It's in the hands of the enemy : UO Demo internals @ JoinUO

Mikel123
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mikel123 »

Flash Hardstar wrote:I will just equip the large charge items for less than a second, right before big spells come, and un-equip right after. Rinse and repeat and a mage cant do damage, or burn your charges :)
This is what I did before these changes. If I ever got into trouble and figured an ebolt was coming, I'd just throw one of these on and then disarm it immediately after. For my dexer, it was often enough time to get my bandage finished, while on a mage I could just finish healing up.

This is why I don't think this is a bad deal for the MR items at all. They're unfortunately going to become a much bigger part of the pvp scene now, with more charges per item and selling for less gp per charge. A 90-charge item would have lasted me a month.

Flash Hardstar
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Flash Hardstar »

Batlin wrote:
Memory...

You did read the newsgroup posting from november 1999, right?
You did read my post, right?

I was referencing my memory. On a side note, a lot of changes weren't always in the patch notes.
Red wrote:Kill Flash, and I'm going to bet that his loot is worth more than 2k.

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

Added this morning:
  • Protection enchantment gives a parry skill bonus
  • Regions and spawns on North Jhelom Island have been corrected/adjusted

marmalade

Post by marmalade »

low charge reflect items are not worthless at all. they can be used just like they used to be used, except you have to be a bit cleverer at timing when you equip the item and make sure you unequip it before 5 seconds has passed to avoid using more than one charge.

Sultan of Swing

Post by Sultan of Swing »

The main effect this has had for me is the fact Im needing to use a lot more ID charges.

I do dungeon chests and tmaps - before i would just gather all the magic jewellery in my pack and then once i got a good pile i'd cast reflect and then try on all the jewellery items individually and could dump all of the ones i didnt want to keep, the only ones id keep were MR and Invis, (teleport just comes in rings so I just id them) The MR items would have no effect (noise & graphic) so i knew to id them and the invis would invis me obviously so i id them, the rest I could tell what they were as tried them on.

I only needed to use id charges for the items i wanted to keep

The problem now is that because theres no sound/graphic when trying on the items im burning a lot of id charges.