Patch 127: March 19, 2010 - Magic Items, Core Timer, bugs

Information on the latest Server Patches
Snowman

Re: Patch 127: March 19, 2010 - Magic Items, Core Timer, bugs

Post by Snowman »

Nice patch, the only issue is that while macroing make sure Razor doesn't get stuck waiting for a menu (or queue) due to time not advancing skills/actions (during a save). Basically just double check your macros, some might need to be edited since Razor is still advancing but the server is not.

On a side note, is there going to be some updated archery patch? I think I saw someone talking about this.
New Vent Info:
IP:uosa.puddleboy.com
port:4490
Need a channel? Fill out the information here: http://secondage.puddleboy.com

Coloram
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Coloram »

Hello

If I equip an item of magic reflection, the charges appear to be based on a timer, so they will eventually run out if I keep the item equipped. However this doesn't seem to happen on the test server. Is this supposed to happen?

Thanks
Coloram
Aldarian - DG

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

Coloram wrote:Hello

If I equip an item of magic reflection, the charges appear to be based on a timer, so they will eventually run out if I keep the item equipped. However this doesn't seem to happen on the test server. Is this supposed to happen?

Thanks
Coloram
Aye, this was a last minute change based on some (multiple) google newsgroup postings describing how fast charges are consumed if you keep the item on. And replies describing that if you just equip it as the right time, then unequip it this isn't a problem.

The exact proper behavior of magic reflection changes was actually discovered today by Kaivan and we still don't have it quite right. I'll post more about this if he doesn't beat me to it.
Snowman wrote:On a side note, is there going to be some updated archery patch? I think I saw someone talking about this.
There is a known issue with archery that is a minor fix but wasn't as possible before these timer changes. There may be some other changes to weapon swings but i don't expect them to be drastic. We're esentially trying to replicate the way that the OSI servers did timings.
"The text in this article or section may be incoherent or very hard to understand, and should be reworded if the intended meaning can be determined."

Snowman

Post by Snowman »

Derrick wrote:
There is a known issue with archery that is a minor fix but wasn't as possible before these timer changes. There may be some other changes to weapon swings but i don't expect them to be drastic. We're esentially trying to replicate the way that the OSI servers did timings.
Sounds good, thank you for the update.
New Vent Info:
IP:uosa.puddleboy.com
port:4490
Need a channel? Fill out the information here: http://secondage.puddleboy.com

Kryptonical
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kryptonical »

Derrick you Awesome!

marmalade

Post by marmalade »

Derrick wrote:
marmalade wrote:[*]The number of charges on existing items effected by this was increased to compensate for this reduction.

am i correct in assuming the only items that have had charges increased are stat increase items (blessing, strength, agility, cunning) and protection/nightsight?
All those except nightsight (since those charges actually last longer now), and invis got the bump too. Magic reflect did not get a bump, since those charges to not expire if you take the item off.
so is getting magic reflect items with 50-80 charges per item now supposed to be happening?

SirChandestroy

Post by SirChandestroy »

Not all invisibility rings worked by double-clicking. It was only the ones with low charges that allowed that. I'm not sure what the number of charges cut-off was, but I think it was around 5.

I remember having 2 different bags of invisibility rings though, one was full of ones that had a lot of charges and couldn't be used by double-clicking, the other was full of low-charge rings that could be used by double-clicking.

Coloram
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Coloram »

Hello

With regards to the magic reflection charges, when I equip an item it uses a charge immeditately, then uses one every xx seconds (forgot to count). So if I equip it before the fight, all the charges will be gone by the time I need them. If I only equip it when I need it, then uneqip, I will use a charge each time I do this, so I will run out of charges quickly. I don't remember what it used to be like on OSI but this seems unfair.

Coloram
Aldarian - DG

Faust

Post by Faust »

That is how it always worked and it didn't change until around the UOR era.

Sandro

Post by Sandro »

there are changes coming with the way reflect items function
[14:17] <UOSAPlayer4056> cr3w guild is a joke. Ran by staff members, multi client pking, this shards a joke and a half.
Blaise wrote:Man, you guys are really stepping up your game now that you're not living in the shadow of cr3w

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

SirChandestroy wrote:Not all invisibility rings worked by double-clicking. It was only the ones with low charges that allowed that. I'm not sure what the number of charges cut-off was, but I think it was around 5.

I remember having 2 different bags of invisibility rings though, one was full of ones that had a lot of charges and couldn't be used by double-clicking, the other was full of low-charge rings that could be used by double-clicking.
This is interesting. There May have been two types on invisibility rings then, a wearable, and a useable (teleport is a useable).
Did the ones which were double clickable apply the effect when you equiped them?

I'll be posting about Magic Reflect soon. There will be a correction to the way they are working shortly.
"The text in this article or section may be incoherent or very hard to understand, and should be reworded if the intended meaning can be determined."

ehafh

Post by ehafh »

seems like a good list of logical changes. nice work!
“Everything is changing. People are taking their comedians seriously and the politicians as a joke.”
- Will Rogers

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

Here's the promised post on MR items.

Magic Reflection charges will consume pretty rapidly, at one per five seconds (or longer slightly due to the tick system) when the item is worn. Taking off an item of Magic Reflection will remove the reflective effect.

In addition to other anecdotal reports, this information is verified from two primary sources.

The following newsgroup thread from November 1999:
http://groups.google.be/group/rec.games ... e+duration
Magic reflect items 'seem' to work for 5-9seconds per charge of the item.
So needless to say they are consumed rather rapidly. A good tactic to use
for the items is if you have magic reflect cast upon you to start. Most
good (and still living) combat mages will cast harm/ma at a target before
going into serious combat. If you time it right, let them cast their
initial spell and then fall into their typical routine of para/explod/ebolt
(or whatever). The trick is to wear the item AFTER they start casting. If
you use UOA you can program it to wear the item with a keystroke. Let them
para you, then wear the item. With luck they will explode/ebolt themselves
before they even realize it. Pop off that little magic trapped pouch you
always carry and clean house.
Check stratics (uo.stratics.com) for the exact duration per charge, but if
you can keep your head about you they are VERY rude surprises for mages
sometimes.
As well as the UO Demo in which the code exactly describes the above descriptions. For clarity of this process, excerpts follow:
From wearrefct script: (comments by me)

Code: Select all

ONEVENT( unequip )(object unequippedfrom)
{
  detachScript(unequippedfrom, "reflctor");  // Remove effect
  return(0x01);
}

ONEVENT( time , "min:**" )()  // once per UO minute, or 5 seconds realtime, 20 ticks
{
  if(isEquipped(this))
  {
    object Q4E2 = containedBy(this);
    if(Q4E2 == NULL())
    {
      return(0x01);
    }
    if(!Q53Z())   // Failed to consume charge?
    {
      detachScript(Q4E2, "reflctor");
      detachScript(this, "wearrflct");
    }
    else  // Charge was consumed
    {
      attachScript(Q4E2, "reflctor");  // apply (or reapply) effect
    }
  }
  return(0x01);
}
More info on the min:** timing can be found here: http://forum.joinuo.com/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=570

Sorry for the information overload; I don't take this change lightly at all, and wanted everyone to know where it came from.

Thanks much to Batlin, and Kaivan for doing a lot of legwork on this.

This change and a few other fixes will be live in morning.
Last edited by Derrick on Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: published.

Mikel123
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mikel123 »

Looks like the best way to handle this is to set up an Arm/Dress function for the reflect item, then set a hotkey to toggle it. I actually don't think this change will have too much of an impact on players that were doing something like this already.

When you arm the reflect item, will it still give you the animation & sound of reflect being activated? That's what I'm curious about, since it's no longer effectively casting the spell on you like it used to.

MatronDeWinter
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by MatronDeWinter »

Mikel123 wrote:Looks like the best way to handle this is to set up an Arm/Dress function for the reflect item, then set a hotkey to toggle it. I actually don't think this change will have too much of an impact on players that were doing something like this already.

When you arm the reflect item, will it still give you the animation & sound of reflect being activated? That's what I'm curious about, since it's no longer effectively casting the spell on you like it used to.
That's a good point! Does the attached "reflctor" script contain the animation/sound data for the application? If there is no indication, this could effectively be a MagicReflect boost.