Patch 59 - Sept 9, 2008

Information on the latest Server Patches
Derrick

Patch 59 - Sept 9, 2008

Post by Derrick »

• Spell protection in town now only applies to humans. This also means you are vulnerable to spells if Polymorphed to a non-human.
  • New Tip Of The Day system with old scroll style messages.
  • Non magic clothing should no longer be generated in Loot
  • Less charges on magic jewelry and clothing
  • Terathan Warriors now always drop a magic weapon
  • Adjustments to magic items and intensities. This is a reduction that will make the higher level magics more rare.
  • New Event Signs in event join areas for displaying event info and rules.
  • We now have the ability to ban players from event participation and will use this option if we discover players multi-clienting in events.
  • Tracking in more densely populated areas in eased some.

alatar

Re: Patch 59 - Sept 9, 2008

Post by alatar »

could you specify how much the high-end weapons rate-of-drop has been modified?

are we looking at super-rare vanqs now? :wink:
#1 PK Guild on T2A
ironfistmax wrote:Alatar is one of the best PvPers I have known. I have played UO since 1998 and every free shard known to man. It's not questionable whether he is good or not.
Hemperor wrote:Alatar is a douche bag but at least he and cr3w would fight everyone.

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

alatar wrote:could you specify how much the high-end weapons rate-of-drop has been modified?

The magic properties of the items are generated logarithmically, the changes vary somewhat depending on which drop type or creature level, but the high end, vanq, supremely, indestructable, will probably be about 33% of what it was.

alatar

Post by alatar »

Derrick wrote:
alatar wrote:could you specify how much the high-end weapons rate-of-drop has been modified?

the high end, vanq, supremely, indestructable, will probably be about 33% of what it was.
that's lovely
#1 PK Guild on T2A
ironfistmax wrote:Alatar is one of the best PvPers I have known. I have played UO since 1998 and every free shard known to man. It's not questionable whether he is good or not.
Hemperor wrote:Alatar is a douche bag but at least he and cr3w would fight everyone.

BlackFoot
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by BlackFoot »

terathan warriors used to be amazing for magic weps :>
<IronfistMax> tell me where you are in game, and ill come thank you personally
Mad_Max: blackfoot you sent everyone to a slaughter
<Derrick> We will not negotiate with terrorists.
UOSA Society of Adventure and History [UoH]

Abbynormal
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Abbynormal »

BlackFoot wrote:terathan warriors used to be amazing for magic weps :>
Until you got gibbed by an avenger.

Silverfoot
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Silverfoot »

You sure the number of charges on id wands is accurate? Out of the 4 or 5 I have found in tmap chests since the patch, they were all between 8-12 charges. I was pulling up wands before that were always around 100 charges. That is quite a large decrease. I thought I remember id wands back in t2a having significantly more charges than the other wand types.

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

ID wands had a significantly larger number of charges on them than other wand types. While wands such as harming, burning, daemon's breath, lightning, heal, and greater heal had charges in the range of 5-30 charges, ID wands had charges ranging from about 40 to a maximum of 200 charges.

Also, gnarled staffs had a larger number of charges on them for heal and greater heal, in the range of 20-30 charges (due to being 2 handed), while they lacked the ability to come with ID charges alltogeather (or it was in low amounts not worth the space in your bag).
UOSA Historian and former staff member: August 11, 2008 - June 19, 2016

Useful links for researching T2A Mechanics

Stratics - UO Latest Updates - Newsgroup 1 - Noctalis - UO98.org

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

Increasing ID wand charges. They weren't meant to be that low.

Guyjeb
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Guyjeb »

High End magical items dropped to 33%. Was this era accurate?

either way I guess I should be tripleing my prices on those weapons now..

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

High End Magics were way way more rare in era than we've had them. I don't know if this change is even enough to promote the rarity that vanqs and others should have.

eyesdearth

Post by eyesdearth »

Given that the server has far fewer people on it compared to a typical OSI server would have, even at the canonical drop rate they will be more common, since the ratio of people who don't get one will be lower. On both servers (old and new) you might have X Dire Whips of Mild Itching dropping per week, but on this one there aren't the 98235 people who don't get one, so their commonness isn't X/X+98235. It would be more like X/X+98, which is a percent 2 or 3 orders of magnitude larger. The numbers are made-up, of course, but the important thing is the relative difference in server population.

If you define rarity as number of items per whatever number of players, then the numbers would need to be adjusted down to far below OSI standard to achieve the same effect here.

Prurk

Post by Prurk »

Another thing to consider when talking about drop rarity: People farm the crud out of the spawns here whenever they please. I never run into spawn competition unless I try to hunt on a Friday or Saturday night. The same people kill the AW over and over usually as well.

The new drop system seems better to me. I was pulling several power weapons from destard level 2 before. I was there (back and forth to other locations as well) for about three hours yesterday and my best loot was two pieces of fortification platemail.

Lastly I'd like to say that the only people I see on T2A using magic weapons are (usually) reds, even if high end magics were more common people are too attached to their loot here. fyi: If you manage to kill me I'm usually good for at least a +10 force :P

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

eyesdearth wrote:Given that the server has far fewer people on it compared to a typical OSI server would have, even at the canonical drop rate they will be more common, since the ratio of people who don't get one will be lower. On both servers (old and new) you might have X Dire Whips of Mild Itching dropping per week, but on this one there aren't the 98235 people who don't get one, so their commonness isn't X/X+98235. It would be more like X/X+98, which is a percent 2 or 3 orders of magnitude larger. The numbers are made-up, of course, but the important thing is the relative difference in server population.

If you define rarity as number of items per whatever number of players, then the numbers would need to be adjusted down to far below OSI standard to achieve the same effect here.
The drop rate has nothing to do with replicating the actual numbers, it has to do with replicating the drop percentage that was seen on OSI (with vanquishing at about 1% of the drops in circumstances where one could be found at all). Whether your server has 20 or 2 million people, a 2% drop rate for vanquishing weapons will be proportional to the other server, given proportionally equal iterations. The only difference between servers would be the percentage of time that their population spent actually farming (i.e. 20% of the population spent 100% of their time farming, 20% spent 50% of their time farming, etc.). That particular peice of information is unique to each server, and the drop rates were derived from the averages from all servers (initially on OSI it would have obviously had to come from the beta servers).
UOSA Historian and former staff member: August 11, 2008 - June 19, 2016

Useful links for researching T2A Mechanics

Stratics - UO Latest Updates - Newsgroup 1 - Noctalis - UO98.org

Ptazaract

Post by Ptazaract »

Derrick wrote:
  • New Tip Of The Day system with old scroll style messages.
One one character thi screen always comes up no matter how many times I might try to click the hide on startup button. All my other characters don't get any sort of hints page. Thoughts?