Patch 80 - January 15, 2009

Information on the latest Server Patches
Derrick

Patch 80 - January 15, 2009

Post by Derrick »

The patch notes/changes listed here have gone in over the last couple weeks. I'm sorry for not getting them up sooner, most of the changes prior to today's were minor bug fixes and were announced to threads that pertained to them.

Changes prior to Jan 15:
  • Fixed a couple bugs which were causing "item leakage" and artificially inflating our item count.
  • Cleaned up about 500,000 "lost items" from within the shard. These were items that had been created unintentionally, or not properly deleted.
  • Criminal actions cannot be seen through walls
  • Ability to set skill and skill restrictions in CTF games per map.
    • This has been applied in CTF Urban, allowing the use of Wall of Stone on that map.
  • Fixed a bug allowing removal of Chess Pieces from game boards.
  • Stable limits increased 50%
  • Players get message when refreshing boats
  • Boats are now refreshed when renaming
  • Boat speeds adjusted somewhat.
    • Fast is slightly slower, but more "smooth"
    • Slow is quite a bit slower and allows for easier fishing while moving.
  • Tinkers no longer take counts on snooped traps.
  • Players can now be poisoned in dungeons from swamp tiles
  • All Murderers will now have "The Murderer" as their title
The following changes are effective this morning:
  • Corrected bug allowing players to hide directly in front on a creature attacking them in clear Line of Sight
  • Crash bug in tournament system fixed. Tourneys are back online.
  • The number of followers you have in the area when commanding pets, will slightly effect their chance of obeying the command.
    • There is no limit imposed by this on how many creatures you can have follow you, and this can in no way can reduce the the command chance by much on a per creature basis.
  • Feeding pets does more with less food
  • Correction to sextant text, font problem
  • Provoking NPC's/creatures with positive karma will result in a karma loss for the provoker

Hemperor
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Re: Patch 80 - January 15, 2009

Post by Hemperor »

Derrick wrote:[*]Stable limits increased 50%
Can we have specific numbers, as well as where you got your information for this from?

Also, are we to be expecting tournaments tonight?

[22:26] <ian> why am i making 3750 empty kegs
[22:27] <ian> 1125000 for 3750 empty kegs
----------------------------------------
[10:44] <ian> a good cat is a dead cat

weedsmoke
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by weedsmoke »

The number of followers you have in the area when commanding pets, will slightly effect their chance of obeying the command.
Slightly is an understatement.

If you have like 10+ pets, then put that disobey stuff in.

With 5 dragons, the amount of dragons the AVERAGE tamer uses, on 1 all kill, 2 to 3 wont respond.

I dont know about you, but I bring 5 dragons for a reason. I cant count on 1 or 2 rushing in on a mob, and then getting their ass kicked, while im trying to wrangle the other 2 or 3. Nah, thats not happening.

You have to constantly feed these guys now. Sure more hunger fed with less food but still. I feed/bandage my pets enough, and now I have to do it slightly more than usual, and if they always disobey, they I ALWAYS have to feed them.

I say change the system to 10+ pets, or re-write your little script formula where each individual pet has X% to disobey on every order. say, 8%? IDK.
Last edited by weedsmoke on Thu Jan 15, 2009 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

We're currently relooking at the forumla for the pet control. The issues that are being seen did not reveal themselves in testing.

The rage and off-topic posts have noted, but removed.

Ebywok

Post by Ebywok »

Derrick wrote: [*]Corrected bug allowing players to hide directly in front on a creature attacking them in clear Line of Sight
I'm almost certain that this bug was active on OSI. Did someone find evidence showing that it was fixed in era? I used to use this bug when I was paralyzed or stam locked in trouble.

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

Ebywok wrote:I'm almost certain that this bug was active on OSI. Did someone find evidence showing that it was fixed in era? I used to use this bug when I was paralyzed or stam locked in trouble.
If there was a bug like this on OSI I wasn't aware of it, this was unrelated to any "bug emulation", but was a bug introduced accidentally on the shard my myself a few months ago.

We're all about era accuracy though, if there were any hiding tricks that aren't currently supported we'd certainly field them in the suggestion forum.

Teknix
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Teknix »

just want to ask this again, but now pets will be able to gain skill and stats. a dragon starts off with so much wrestling, magery, str and int. with training, or really just daily use, their skills and stats will increase, right?

so its true that a horse will be able to work its stamina up if you train him?
chumbucket wrote:
GomerPyle wrote:chum RPs a thief
Roleplays?!?

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

That is all true although very unrelated to this patch. All creatures and players gain skats and skills in the same manner, pets or not. Creature skill gain is substancially faster than that of players though.

Kefka

Post by Kefka »

The number of followers you have in the area when commanding pets, will slightly effect their chance of obeying the command.
I still can't figure out how this made it into a patch. First off, it makes controlling dragons so difficult, that it would be less frustrating to kill the ancient wyrm with wrestling then to hunt with dragons.

I have searched for hours for anything that would indicate this patch is accurate.

Search locations:
*The current stratics website
*internet archive for uo.stratics.com taming essay, and taming related skills for every date archived
*search command on the official UO Update site
*googled many different phrases and searched forums, tamer dedicated websites etc.
*Prima T2A strategy guide[/list]

From Nov 16, 1999
http://74.125.47.132/search?q=cache:nui ... =firefox-a
Pet "orneriness" is now a much larger factor. The tougher an animal was to originally tame, the tougher it will be to control in general. The higher your taming skill and animal lore skills, the better able to control the animal you will be. Animal taming is more significant for this than animal lore is.
Internet archive of uo.stratics.com from 1999
http://web.archive.org/web/199904221832 ... /anim.htm/
Animals that can be tamed with a skill of 45 or less will follow anyones orders, harder to tame animals need an experienced master. Rule of thumb is that a high Animal Taming and high Animal Lore skill makes a better master. The pet orneriness check is made by comparing the creatures "tameable at" level to 80% of the masters Tame skill plus 20% of the masters Lore skill.
Internet archive of uo.stratics.com from 2002 (non T2A, but I still checked if there was any mention of it)
http://web.archive.org/web/200206071506 ... anim.shtml
Animals that can be tamed with a skill of 29.1 or less will follow anyone's orders, harder to tame animals need an experienced master. Rule of thumb is that a high Animal Taming and high Animal Lore skill makes a better master. The pet orneriness check is made by comparing the creatures "tameable at" level to approximately 70% of the masters Tame skill plus 30% of the masters Lore skill.
All of my research indicates that the orneriness check was ONLY based on your animal taming skill, your animal lore skill, the taming difficulty of the animal, and the animal's current level of loyalty. In fact, not only could I not find any information regarding this patch during the T2A era, but I couldn't find any information that this change ever existed during any era of UO.

One could say, well, this is how it always was, and that's why it was never mentioned in the patch notes! However, if this were true, it shouldn't be too hard to find at least ONE reputable source which references this.

This is not a case of "the formula used in the patch is incorrect or not working correctly". This change does not belong in the game, and should be completely removed.

One of two things happened:

1) Whoever made the decision to create this change received bogus information.
2) The change was to balance out the tamer class a little and nerf their pet controlling abilities.

If this was indeed a nerf, let's remember that this is a T2A accurate shard. T2A wasn't balanced, and any attempt to balance the game which does not reflect the OSI T2A period contradicts the main page quote "Simply The Way It Was".

To conclude: (in the case that some of the information above was skipped)
The number of followers you have in the area when commanding pets, will NOT effect their chance of obeying the command. The calculation for the obedience of each tamed creature should be independent of all other controlled creatures.

[00:43] <Hemperor> i like turtles

Jack

Post by Jack »

god damn you like your pets huh

Kefka

Post by Kefka »

Yes I do :)

however, the long post was to point out that this does not appear to be a part of any era of UO, and was either based off of bad info, or is a nerf to balance gameplay.

I just wanted to bring attention to it, so that no more non-era accurate changes are made.

[00:43] <Hemperor> i like turtles

ClowN

Post by ClowN »

i also remember the hiding bug as being era accurate. Im not positive but i thought it was something like the higher your hiding skill, the closer you could be and still pull off a successful hide, after tabbing out of combat.

caveman

Post by caveman »

I'm pretty sure each pet was calculated individually and the number of pets had no effect whatsoever.

alatar

Post by alatar »

Derrick wrote:[*]The number of followers you have in the area when commanding pets, will slightly effect their chance of obeying the command
This is a pretty rediculous patch. I don't ever remember anything like this. Somehow I believe this is an addressed issue to tamer pk's, as there have been quite a bit of complaints about them.

I truly hope the staff team did not nerf taming simply because the majority doesn't understand how to avoid tamer pks.
#1 PK Guild on T2A
ironfistmax wrote:Alatar is one of the best PvPers I have known. I have played UO since 1998 and every free shard known to man. It's not questionable whether he is good or not.
Hemperor wrote:Alatar is a douche bag but at least he and cr3w would fight everyone.

Onslaught

Post by Onslaught »

alatar wrote:
Derrick wrote:[*]The number of followers you have in the area when commanding pets, will slightly effect their chance of obeying the command
This is a pretty rediculous patch. I don't ever remember anything like this. Somehow I believe this is an addressed issue to tamer pk's, as there have been quite a bit of complaints about them.

I truly hope the staff team did not nerf taming simply because the majority doesn't understand how to avoid tamer pks.
We should team up and rule the world together. Tamer PKs4life

PS Kefka is the man
A.K.A. All Skill

Great Lakes Veteran.

Currently residing on the Cho'gall World of Warcraft server.

http://www.vqguild.net - World class.