Patch 150 - Dec 14, 2012: Anniversary, Help, Vendors, React.

Information on the latest Server Patches
Loathed

Re: Patch 150 - Dec 14, 2012: Anniversary, Help, Vendors, Re

Post by Loathed »

Bourbon Legend wrote:Hey I'm a new player and I really want to start a mage...

Ok, 50 magery/50 med. Ok got it.

Woohoo! I'm in Britain, and I've got a bunch of spells to put in my book and some regs to cast with!

Uh oh, 6 regs of each doesn't really last at all! I'm gonna go buy some more with the 100g that I have. Woohoo! I'm rich!

Wait, there's no regs to buy here. Or here. Or here. Or here. Or here. This sucks! I wanna play a mage!

What? 5-8k for a stack of 1000? WTF? I just started!

Guess I'll go back to playing WoW/GW2/D3/Whatever....

For a server that wants to attract population...ah nevermind. Deaf ears...

or you could walk around with scavenge on and kill monsters with other things- in t2a no one player ever started with no help and was just able to simply proceed with grandmastering magery quickly and firstly. I understand you're frustrated and I don't mean to sound like a cold hearted bastard but this ain't WoW, so maybe you should go back to something easier- you lose loot here when you die too.

iwagner

Post by iwagner »

The reg nerf was uncalled for. Seriously hinders new players and only benefits the afk easyuo reg farmers. I went to 4 different mage shops and found 0 regs on all of them. So much for having fun, why make it such a grind?

Bourbon Legend

Post by Bourbon Legend »

Loathed wrote:or you could walk around with scavenge on and kill monsters with other things- in t2a no one player ever started with no help and was just able to simply proceed with grandmastering magery quickly and firstly. I understand you're frustrated and I don't mean to sound like a cold hearted bastard but this ain't WoW, so maybe you should go back to something easier- you lose loot here when you die too.
I get what you're saying Loathed. But honestly, when I came to the server 80 days ago, I had no friends, and knew nobody that played here. I busted my virtual ass lumberjacking so I could make enough money selling boards. Then I took that money and bought regs, and then macro'ed my character so I could compete and not get killed. The only help I really received is Causa Mortis gave me a house to macro in, Tara showed me a great place to hunt, and NEW took me under their wing and answered numerous questions. Now, I own a keep (paid in cash), and I do have some regs stockpiled. The point of this is that if I wouldn't have been able to buy regs like I did back then, I would have quit because of frustration.

So before you give me your 'maybe you should go back to something easier' and 'you lose loot when you die here' crap, you should look at how this affects the other players that aren't as 'l33t' as you, or are simply new.

T2A 'accuracy' doesn't make this server. The players that play here do.

Loathed

Post by Loathed »

true- but i have shopped many times before and found regs out of stock many times. I know it's rough patch. I honestly suggest doing something to form some cash you'd be suprised how many folks here will really help out when they see an effort put forth. Lots of really cool people on this server. The change on reg stock isn't the problem- it's the allowance of afk buying from vendors. How could this be fixed? By changing the reg respawn? No- I believe we should alter the afk rule.

Ultimately it's up to Derrick, as it should be. The guidelines would of coarse be "WTF?!" just like it was when the rules about afk resource gathering was laid out as opposed to afking anything else. Maybe have it so the only place you can afk macro would be in house or outside of town. I know that would be like omg wtf... Lots places outside of town tho- I know safety is a concern but again many ppl here willing to help new players, even rent out a house- perfect place to macro.

So maybe we can get something going in order of putting a fix to this? I agree buying regs from vendors is not a form of afk resource gathering. I'm not proposing that it is. I'm proposing we change the afk macro rules. People will complain that it'll make it too hard on new players. But what is harder on players the now or the possible?

iwagner

Post by iwagner »

Just make it so you cannot directly recall into a mage shop. Also the current changes could be fine but I think the timers are a bit short. 50 minutes? Should be at least a few hours. How many people are actually on at 4am to buy regs/prevent reset? Afk farmers.. So the reality is the likelihood of seeing 999 again is very slim

inego
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by inego »

Yep a week later, still trying to train magery on a toon. No freakin regs to buy at all. When I do find some its like 20 of each and root is 4 gp each.. wtf? The vendor display stock is all random and screwed up as well.

If there was supposed to be more stock on the vendors overall I'm not seeing it. I'm going to call DOOM here because this is not my idea of fun. I don't have an hour every day to recall to every vendor on the shard for stocks of 20 at a time and mostly bought out vendors. The lack of regs could seriously hurt the population..
Great Lakes 1998-2001

Loathed

Post by Loathed »

inego wrote:Yep a week later, still trying to train magery on a toon. No freakin regs to buy at all. When I do find some its like 20 of each and root is 4 gp each.. wtf? The vendor display stock is all random and screwed up as well.

If there was supposed to be more stock on the vendors overall I'm not seeing it. I'm going to call DOOM here because this is not my idea of fun. I don't have an hour every day to recall to every vendor on the shard for stocks of 20 at a time and mostly bought out vendors. The lack of regs could seriously hurt the population..

i just now went to a reg vendor and looked some were in the 100's, the regs are there.

inego
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by inego »

i just now went to a reg vendor and looked some were in the 100's, the regs are there.

Well yes for a moment they are there. They JUST restocked because I have been freakin waiting on them. I was able to scrounge up about 350 of the regs I need for the particular char I am working on. (root and ash)

Imagine for a moment all of your chars aren't finished. Now try getting enough to macro for a night this way. Then try stringing a bunch of nights together this way to GM magery and even resist. Yeah good one.

And if we are talking keeping it era accurate, then I gotta ask why is skill gain increased? To draw new players that's why. Limiting regs limits new players.

On OSI there was thousands of players to keep reg spawn numbers up, not so much here.
Great Lakes 1998-2001

Blaine the Gypsy

Post by Blaine the Gypsy »

The advantage goes to vet players who stocked up before this patch. Sadly unless you are on all the time or get lucky.. regs are pretty much a lost resource. Even if you scavenge for regs time is wasted and those who know when to shop will horde it.
UOSA: Village of Paws - Gypsy Tribe of Spirituality - "Ignavus"
UO: LS guilds [Red] [Rx2] [OMEN] HC member/co-creator
Drach wGt Gypsy Village

Soulbreak

Post by Soulbreak »

Fact is it was a horrible choice by admins and moderators.
This change will not grow your population, i just passed my 30 day mark, and if these changes were put in when I started, I would have just moved on.

I ask what benefit does this bring, and if your response is 'era accuracy' then remove all regs from the game, including bank boxes and home and let everyone start and try to get them.

This change only benefits elder players and players who hoarded regs before the update.
DRUSK42 wrote:
Downs wrote:So, who got the goods? All we walked away with was land.
Take a wild guess.
Millerisfuntoplay wrote: Don't worry I will bank everything instead and give house to Ian.

player 1

Post by player 1 »

This is really a pain in the ass. I have to spend at least 45 mins before I head out to pvm just to look for regs. I get that's it's era accurate, but it is a huge pain in the ass and does nothing to bring more players in.

Soulbreak

Post by Soulbreak »

player 1 wrote:This is really a pain in the ass. I have to spend at least 45 mins before I head out to pvm just to look for regs. I get that's it's era accurate, but it is a huge pain in the ass and does nothing to bring more players in.
Bump, set, match.
DRUSK42 wrote:
Downs wrote:So, who got the goods? All we walked away with was land.
Take a wild guess.
Millerisfuntoplay wrote: Don't worry I will bank everything instead and give house to Ian.

Pixelclicker

Post by Pixelclicker »

I have to agree with the dissenters. I don't believe we should recreate mechanics that were only workable due to 5000 active accounts online at any one time if such mechanics detract from reasonable gameplay with a tenth that number.

If the goal is to cut down or eliminate the effectiveness of scribe bots, I think the last couple vendor patches only further incentivize this behavior.
<@BoomlandJenkins> I got home, got on UO right away and I knew something was up before I even made it to the spawner, because there were 35+ in the Justice woods and not one person was PKing one another.

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

While it's true that this patch makes it more difficult to acquire reagents, arguing that this creates an environment of haves and have nots is not a defensible position. Like several patches in the past that made it more difficult for newer players, this patch will need to be handled by finding the best solution to the problem using the available in-game resources, not demanding it is changed for a particular group's benefit.
UOSA Historian and former staff member: August 11, 2008 - June 19, 2016

Useful links for researching T2A Mechanics

Stratics - UO Latest Updates - Newsgroup 1 - Noctalis - UO98.org

Loathed

Post by Loathed »

can you please give me some info on the way Reactive Armor is suppose to be working Kaivan? is it suppose to be time based or amount of dmg absorbed based?

Return to “Patch Notes”