Patch 150 - Dec 14, 2012: Anniversary, Help, Vendors, React.

Information on the latest Server Patches
Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: Patch 150 - Dec 14, 2012: Anniversary, Help, Vendors, Re

Post by Kaivan »

Reactive armor is time based, and the time is determined by your Magery. The amount of damage reflected back is percentage based, and is based on your Magery skill as well.
UOSA Historian and former staff member: August 11, 2008 - June 19, 2016

Useful links for researching T2A Mechanics

Stratics - UO Latest Updates - Newsgroup 1 - Noctalis - UO98.org

Loathed

Post by Loathed »

eval is also a modifier for this? eval currently affects the time part for sure.

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

It shouldn't. Eval Int. is only good for increasing the effect of direct damage spells. Derrick may have to look into that and make any adjustments necessary.

Loathed

Post by Loathed »

RA lasting longer for my pvp char but hardly at all for my gm mage w/out eval

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

Loathed wrote:RA lasting longer for my pvp char but hardly at all for my gm mage w/out eval
This is right out of the OSI scripts, there's not eval int component to the spell at all:

Code: Select all

int Q4NC_durationSeconds = 0x19 + WombatAttachment.getSkillLevel(Caster, 0x19) / 0x02;
(Skill 0x19 is magery)

I'm not sure why is seems like Eval is effecting it, but the time should always be exactly 25 + (magery / 2)

However I did just discover a bug in the implementation. The OSI script engine doesn't respect mathmatical order of operations, the time should actually be (25 + magery) /2 due to the way their script engine evaluates formulas.

There is a similar bug in the damage amount, it's currently slightly too high as well due to this same issue issue in the effect script.
"The text in this article or section may be incoherent or very hard to understand, and should be reworded if the intended meaning can be determined."

player 1

Post by player 1 »

Kaivan wrote:While it's true that this patch makes it more difficult to acquire reagents, arguing that this creates an environment of haves and have nots is not a defensible position. Like several patches in the past that made it more difficult for newer players, this patch will need to be handled by finding the best solution to the problem using the available in-game resources, not demanding it is changed for a particular group's benefit.
What other solution is there other than afk reg buying? It seems from your response that it was implemented only to make things more difficult and to be era accurate.

Also, the argument that it creates an environment of haves and have nots is absolutely a defensible position, all you have to do is go look at reg vendors. It's not even a discussion really. There are clearly people running scripts for afk reg buying. Those people are the haves. People who are just starting and casual players are the have nots. Which group do you think is bigger?

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

player 1 wrote:Also, the argument that it creates an environment of haves and have nots...
This may or may not be true, but we will not engineer the vendors to support some arbitrary goal of fairness.

The goal of Second Age is not to promote Social Equality in a virtual world, but to more accurately reflect the mechanics of UO in 1999. We have come closer to that goal with this patch. If it was as easy for a new player as for someone who's been here 4 years what would be the sence in playing.

AFK buying aside, a player that's been here a while is simply going to have more gold, and thus more advantange to stockpile reagents when they are available in bulk.

As a personal reflection, I remember standing around with 10+ other guys in Moonglow and Papua mage shops waiting for the restock back on Chessie. Gathering regs was a little bit of work and waiting.

I've been checking the vendors in game now and again, and have usually been able to find each reagent in the Brit mage guild since the patch.
"The text in this article or section may be incoherent or very hard to understand, and should be reworded if the intended meaning can be determined."

Bourbon Legend

Post by Bourbon Legend »

Kaivan wrote:While it's true that this patch makes it more difficult to acquire reagents, arguing that this creates an environment of haves and have nots is not a defensible position..
This is not a personal attack, but that is a weak stance. Telling me that the casual player that can't get regs on a consistent basis is on equal footing with someone that spends most of the day reg gathering is absurd.

Players make the server, accuracy does not.

inego
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by inego »

Anyone care to calculate how much gold would be removed from the economy daily by an AFK macroer buying out all the reagent vendors all day everyday, as the amounts on each vendor approached 999 and stayed there?
This can't possibly considered a gold sink, as I have gold for regs with no where to buy them from. The vendors do not even come close to 999 from what I've seen. Most of the time they are at the minimum. Having to go to 8 mage shops to spend 2k gold for the regs I need is absurd.

Can a halfway point not be met here and make the default base spawn like 100-200 of each instead of 10-20?

If the problem is era accuracy and AFK buyers can we not just ban it. Is it not that simple?
Great Lakes 1998-2001

Loathed

Post by Loathed »

oh i see, maybe that same math reading error would affect the amount of melee absorbed too? I honestly had my frenzied ostard meleeing a dragon no problem. Thx Derrick and Kaivan for getting back to me on this.

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

Bourbon Legend wrote:
Kaivan wrote:While it's true that this patch makes it more difficult to acquire reagents, arguing that this creates an environment of haves and have nots is not a defensible position..
This is not a personal attack, but that is a weak stance. Telling me that the casual player that can't get regs on a consistent basis is on equal footing with someone that spends most of the day reg gathering is absurd.

Players make the server, accuracy does not.
A casual player is on exactly the same footing that a more dedicated player is on, specifically because their in-game results are significantly different. A dedicated player should, predictably, have more reagents at their disposal than a far more casual player for a litany of reasons, which includes checking vendors more often than the casual player. However, what would be unfair is if we modified the mechanics to intentionally advantage one group of players over another, especially given the context of the goals for UOSA. This brings me to your second point....

While it true that players are a significant factor in any server, their significance is necessarily tempered by the goals of the server itself. For UOSA, the significance of the player is their willingness to play on a server that is as objective as possible in re-creating the T2A era as best as possible. This places all players on even footing in terms of changes, because no change is made with the intent of favoring one group of players over another. However, if we accept certain proposed changes that deviate from mechanical accuracy, that act places those that we make the changes in favor of on a higher pedestal than those that we don't make changes for. This necessarily devalues the opinion and position of those players in favor of other groups, and thus changes the significance that certain players have to the server. To provide an example of what I'm talking about, we need to look no further than the next post:
inego wrote:Can a halfway point not be met here and make the default base spawn like 100-200 of each instead of 10-20?
By accepting a proposal such as this, the resulting change to mechanics would favor more casual players (and newer players) by addressing the perceived problem focused on in this thread. Not only that, but this type of change would also be a significant deviation from our intended goal, which would place a specific group of players above our stated goals. Of course, here on UOSA, our goal is not to develop the game and give advantages to the groups we feel are deserving of or need them; our goal is to replicate the mechanics of the era, and changing those mechanics to favor any one group of players be they casual, PvMers, crafters, thieves, PvPers, hardcore players, or any other group will not happen.

inego
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by inego »

By accepting a proposal such as this, the resulting change to mechanics would favor more casual players (and newer players) by addressing the perceived problem focused on in this thread. Not only that, but this type of change would also be a significant deviation from our intended goal, which would place a specific group of players above our stated goals. Of course, here on UOSA, our goal is not to develop the game and give advantages to the groups we feel are deserving of or need them; our goal is to replicate the mechanics of the era, and changing those mechanics to favor any one group of players be they casual, PvMers, crafters, thieves, PvPers, hardcore players, or any other group will not happen.
It wasn't meant to imply that newer players should be given privileges or anyone at all should for that matter. It's a simple matter of fact here. This shard is cut throat enough without nerfing regs like you guys did. There are not enough regs to go around ESPECIALLY for new players trying to get started. If things stay as they are sooner or later new players will grow tired of how long its taking to train their magery it and quit.

I can see this conversation is going nowhere. I'd love for you to prove me wrong and in a few months population still be where it is now but I just don't see it.

/end rant I'm done here
Great Lakes 1998-2001

BlacKnight

Post by BlacKnight »

SO i logged in for the first time in 4 years with an account 1614 days old... to find out i missed the reward day log in by a couple days.

:-(

This is going to sound like begging.. and it is... but can i get one of those things!?!?

Europa 1998-2002
BlacKnight (Knight of Justice, KoV)
Second hand in the Knights of Virtue

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

Good to see you BlacKnight, but no. It's not likely you would have had the required playtime for the four year reward even if you had logged in on the 14th.

Sorry, but welcome back!

jimm1432

Post by jimm1432 »

Still not happy about the recall not being able to recall onto water it's nea....

Return to “Patch Notes”