Patch 86 - Feb 13, 2009

Information on the latest Server Patches
Derrick

Patch 86 - Feb 13, 2009

Post by Derrick »

• Camps should no longer spawn in houses
  • Controlled animals will stop attacking when given "stop" until they are reattacked.
  • Fixes the unexpected charge loss on invis and teleport jewels
  • Stats can no longer be gained without a corresponding gain in skill
  • Explosion damage delay lengthened.

Severity

Re: Patch 86 - Feb 13, 2009

Post by Severity »

I clearly remember being able to gain stat points from skills that you were not gaining on. It was that way from the moment they introduced the locking system for skills. I remember gaining a stat sometimes when using a skill (where I didn't get a skill gain) even if it wasn't maxed or locked. Did you find some evidence to make that change? It seems silly to me if you are at 100 skill you can't gain stats anymore when you use that skill.

Faust

Post by Faust »

You should still be able to gain stats at 100. At least that is the way it worked... The cap on one particular skill gain was just at a 100, so when you would essentially gain in the skill it would still check for a possible stat gain too.

Kryptonical
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kryptonical »

It looks like this statement clearly states:

Stats can no longer be gained without a corresponding gain in skill

that you will not gain any stats if your skill is at 100. which from what I have read is incorrect, but I very well could be wrong. this disables the see saw method from my understanding as well.

BlackFoot
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by BlackFoot »

see saw should work fine
<IronfistMax> tell me where you are in game, and ill come thank you personally
Mad_Max: blackfoot you sent everyone to a slaughter
<Derrick> We will not negotiate with terrorists.
UOSA Society of Adventure and History [UoH]

Wise
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Wise »

its to prevent herding hax?
Wise - [Guildmaster, $$$]- Owner of the $$$ Rune Tower & Trusted Merchant

SYNDICATE OF SUCCESSFUL SALESMEN
[$$$]Vendors - [$$$]Runes - [$$$]Events

ClowN

Post by ClowN »

Wise wrote:its to prevent herding hax?

no, its a fix to a runuo exploit (or "feature", whatever) where you could max your skills, lock all skills cept one, and then loop using that skill for rapid stat gains. in a sence this exploit was more effective then seesawing your skills, but it was not accurate to any era of UO. it was a runuo thing only.

Severity

Post by Severity »

I understand the attempt to fix that exploit being at 0 skill and locking all your other skills while capped, but you should REALLY be able to gain stats at 100 skill still. That's the way it was I'm sure of it. I also remembering having to see saw so perhaps there was a code tweak for one unlocked skill.

Faust

Post by Faust »

Skill Management Nov 23 1999 2:32PM CST

Q: "How do I gain stats when at the skill cap?"

A: "You can only gain stats from skills that are marked as "up". If you are at the skill cap, you will only gain stats from skills if you mark another skill as "down" (provided that you have points to atrophy in that skill) or if the skill is at Grandmaster (in this case, you do not need to mark any skills as "down".
Derrick will have to confirm if this part was added to the fix for the common RunUO stat gain exploit.

eniave

Post by eniave »

Severity wrote:I clearly remember being able to gain stat points from skills that you were not gaining on. It was that way from the moment they introduced the locking system for skills. I remember gaining a stat sometimes when using a skill (where I didn't get a skill gain) even if it wasn't maxed or locked. Did you find some evidence to make that change? It seems silly to me if you are at 100 skill you can't gain stats anymore when you use that skill.
T2A did not have skill lock and 100 was the max
LS 1997 - 2003

ClowN

Post by ClowN »

eniave wrote:
Severity wrote:I clearly remember being able to gain stat points from skills that you were not gaining on. It was that way from the moment they introduced the locking system for skills. I remember gaining a stat sometimes when using a skill (where I didn't get a skill gain) even if it wasn't maxed or locked. Did you find some evidence to make that change? It seems silly to me if you are at 100 skill you can't gain stats anymore when you use that skill.
T2A did not have skill lock and 100 was the max

t2a DID have skill lock, but not stat lock. atleast thats how i remember it. if skill locks got removed, i would just start setting campfires every time someone came near me, causing them to automaticly gain camping skill to ruin whatever 7x gm they had. thats what we used to do before skill lock was introduced lol.

tejhim

Post by tejhim »

I remember getting t2a as soon as it came out and it had skill lock cause it took me a whole day before I figured out how to max my stats in a couple hours moving skills from 0-10-0. not that it matters to me though it's only my first day here. great job on the shard btw I like it alot. lots of dedication

pretty sure stat locks came later on.. maybe a couple months later in a patch but wasnt there when t2a was released

Slimeball Jasper

Post by Slimeball Jasper »

ClowN wrote:

no, its a fix to a runuo exploit (or "feature", whatever) where you could max your skills, lock all skills cept one, and then loop using that skill for rapid stat gains. in a sence this exploit was more effective then seesawing your skills, but it was not accurate to any era of UO. it was a runuo thing only.
how exactly is this a runuo exploit?

ClowN

Post by ClowN »

Slimeball Jasper wrote:
ClowN wrote:

how exactly is this a runuo exploit?

because this is how most ruonUO shards are configured by default as far as the stat gains go. obviously it was inaccurate to the true t2a era which is why derrick fixed it. knowing it was inaccurate, people were EXPLOITING it. this type of stat gain is only present on runuo shards. never did it exist on OSI or any other core emulator of UO (that im aware of anyways). hence RUNUO EXPLOIT. thought it was pretty self explanitory.

Return to “Patch Notes”