Patch 90 - March 12, 2009: Taming, Pet commands, Moongates

Information on the latest Server Patches
Waldo

Re: Patch 90 - March 12, 2009: Taming, Pet commands, Moongates

Post by Waldo »

BlackFoot wrote:if you are 85 taming and over this wont affect you gming taming

I'm not understanding how it wont effect it any details would be apprecaited. I feel taming 85 onward will be much more difficult and will try to explain why here.

After taming several hours with no more pretames in effect just finding a creature thats not blue or tagged and released has become a real pain. And when you do find what appears to be a fresh spawn odds are it's not, you wont know until that first attempt..Bull spawn areas are a mess go to delucia or jhelom blue names all over, seems as tho spawn rates have incressed some in these areas but no place else great for makin lag. Hell hounds, cats, lava lizards,imps ect only spawn in a couple areas and there rate of spawn is so slooooow make rounds and hope to avoid the pks making theres.
Sure someone will say find another area to tame sounds simple enough :roll: consider a few tamers doing this or even a couple..To a tamer creatures are a resource mined, picked, choped, tamed once it's done next person to come along after will find nothing respawn rate outside of a couple select area seems to be hours.
I'm not a picky tamer I've got odd gains off walruses, bears around 90 skill I tame anything and everything but when there's so few to tame.

MatronDeWinter
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by MatronDeWinter »

For the above tamer,
I'm not agruing with you, but from what I remember, this was simply how taming worked. I remember when I started one and talked to the other tamers and they told me about the taming etiquette (spelling?), where you always rename something you tamed and so on, so that others can know what they can gain off of. You are absolutely right about the spawn rate of monsters, it takes a loooooot more time for something to respawn, and areas where there should be a ton of monsters (fire temple for ex.) there are very few that spawn on this server. I am sure it's probably the same for hellcats and whatever other monsters you may be trying to tame.

Enticement:
The delay now seems about 5 seconds, it's not unmanagable, but it is definately not what it was in T2A. A 4-5 second delay makes things just "ok" but that is assuming that the enticement could be refreshed on re-entice.(Which it cant) From my memory, (and I was probably one of the few who used/GM'd this skill during T2A) the delay was about 1-2 seconds. When I trained the skill I used to sit in the sheep pen in Yew and macro entice-next target, it took me about 40 hours to GM the skill that way. I distinctly remember that when spamming the skill the system message would read "you must wait before using another skill" only once in between success messages. Because the targets cannot be re-enticed during enticement, the skill is now usless for its intended purpose. Which quite frankly is pulling tamed pets away from guarded stuff/bodies. Back in the day, people did actually use the guard command, and you would occasionally find a bag of items guarded by some grizzly bears or something because someones bank was full, and everone was too poor to buy a house. Keep in mind that the demo was just that, a demo.

Faust

Post by Faust »

The demo is an exact compilation of the code that OSI used at that time. The only difference in the code for the demo were a few checks to disallow specific features such as acquiring a boat to get off the island, etc... The code is EXACTLY the same besides that though. It is a very reliable source of information in regard to features or mechanics that weren't patched at later dates. The enticement delay on the demo is 10 seconds.

Waldo

Post by Waldo »

MatronDeWinter wrote:For the above tamer,
I'm not agruing with you, but from what I remember, this was simply how taming worked. I remember when I started one and talked to the other tamers and they told me about the taming etiquette (spelling?), where you always rename something you tamed and so on, so that others can know what they can gain off of.
I didnt start my tamer yesterday account shows 85 days tamer is at least 80 days with only the last 3-4 weeks taming a few hours each day. I'm not sure what your trying to say in your above statement, having a tamer from 98' till 2001' (my only UO exp other than UOSA before someone tells me I'm confused with other player shards). I feel I have a pretty good grasp of how things were. Having pretames removed is akick is the ass I'm not saying it's not accurate,but spawn rates do feel way off...I know we dont have the popultation OSI did.

I make rounds often when taming clearing entire areas of anything tamable and kill them off did this before the patch to and some areas take days to respawn just a couple creatures.
While some areas like delucia and jhelom the respawns are slow until 3pm ish cst until after midnight you can hardly walk with all the creatures..almost like someones on spawn duty :?
Having come here and missed out on the free resist gains in town I didnt complain there was other ways to get GM resist fast and easy ways at that. Completing a tamer as things are atm is another story and it's a real thorn in my ass being my last char :evil:

Hemperor
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Hemperor »

I make rounds often when taming clearing entire areas of anything tamable and kill them off did this before the patch to and some areas take days to respawn just a couple creatures.
While some areas like delucia and jhelom the respawns are slow until 3pm ish cst until after midnight you can hardly walk with all the creatures..almost like someones on spawn duty :?
Having come here and missed out on the free resist gains in town I didnt complain there was other ways to get GM resist fast and easy ways at that. Completing a tamer as things are atm is another story and it's a real thorn in my ass being my last char :evil:
You really are sounding like a whiner at this point. Spawns certainly do not take DAYS to respawn. The resist gaining in town was removed when we were peaking at 100, you can now MS to gm which is about 10x cheaper and faster. This whole taming thing really took too long to be implemented IMO, in the past month or two the amount of tamers has over tripled, so I can feel you there. However, these changes are all accurate, stop comparing yourself to others. You are really at the easiest point of taming gains anyways, not sure how this whole pretaming thing really affects you.

[22:26] <ian> why am i making 3750 empty kegs
[22:27] <ian> 1125000 for 3750 empty kegs
----------------------------------------
[10:44] <ian> a good cat is a dead cat

Waldo

Post by Waldo »

Hemperor wrote:
You really are sounding like a whiner at this point. Spawns certainly do not take DAYS to respawn. The resist gaining in town was removed when we were peaking at 100, you can now MS to gm which is about 10x cheaper and faster. This whole taming thing really took too long to be implemented IMO, in the past month or two the amount of tamers has over tripled, so I can feel you there. However, these changes are all accurate, stop comparing yourself to others. You are really at the easiest point of taming gains anyways, not sure how this whole pretaming thing really affects you.
If you wernt such a young turd in a hurry to boost your post count and stir shit up you would have read SOME areas do take days to respawn. I have no problem with no longer gaining resist in town MS is faster. I used that change as a example while it was a change it did not effect GMing resist..GMing taming now is another story. Unless you happen to be training a tamer up stfu on how it is now.

Hemperor
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Hemperor »

Waldo wrote:
Hemperor wrote:
If you wernt such a young turd in a hurry to boost your post count and stir shit up you would have read SOME areas do take days to respawn. I have no problem with no longer gaining resist in town MS is faster. I used that change as a example while it was a change it did not effect GMing resist..GMing taming now is another story. Unless you happen to be training a tamer up stfu on how it is now.
There is no need for me to stfu, the way taming is now is ACCURATE. Suck it up princess.

Senses

Post by Senses »

Hemperor wrote:
Gonna agree with Hemp here. If you want to argue that NO! this is wrong, this isn't how it was and here's proof thats fine. But all you are doing is arguing "OMG TAMING IS HARD NOW!" The way I see it, you have two options, a) get over it, and finish your tamer even though its really too hard. b) give up. Neither of those two options really involve any response on the forums. I'm sure you will come back with a new phrasing insulting me then launching into more whine but untill you can back your whine up with some solid cheese, noone cares.

Waldo

Post by Waldo »

Taming is fine the problem is the spawn rates some areas do take days to respawn it was never like that on OSI.

Faust

Post by Faust »

I GM'ed my tamer in roughly 3-4 weeks before this new system was put in place using nothing but fresh spawns. Doing it the standard way using previous tames from other people is actually much much slower.

Kryptonical
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kryptonical »

I want to chime in cause I'm working a tamer right now. I did not get a chance to test the "pretame" method or anything of that sort, I would just run around and tame everything in sight, whether or not it had previously been tamed or not (I didnt care I seemed to gain equally, but I guess that wasnt supposed to be the case). However because of this recent patch, I'm running around trying to tame everything in sight (like I did before) but not if the animal was previously tamed it does me absolutely not good, however the problem now is that I can run around moonglow and the ice island, and find 1/10th the amount of animals that I could tame previously. I didnt play t2a so I dont know, but wouldnt it make more sense to go slightly "in betwee" what was previously happening here and what is currently here?...ie previously any tamed animal would be +6 skill or something...now a previously tamed animal will not give you the ability to get skill...wouldnt it make sense to just have it so if you tame an animal and then release it and try to re tame it, no skill...if you try to tame an animal that has never been tamed before, you get a chance to gain skill...if you try to tame an animal that HAS been tamed by 3 or 4 fewer people, you get a chance to gain skill, without that increased minimum skill lvl requirement or whatever.

I"m fine either way but my idea seems like it would make a bit more sense?

Hemperor
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Hemperor »

Kryptonical wrote:I want to chime in cause I'm working a tamer right now. I did not get a chance to test the "pretame" method or anything of that sort, I would just run around and tame everything in sight, whether or not it had previously been tamed or not (I didnt care I seemed to gain equally, but I guess that wasnt supposed to be the case). However because of this recent patch, I'm running around trying to tame everything in sight (like I did before) but not if the animal was previously tamed it does me absolutely not good, however the problem now is that I can run around moonglow and the ice island, and find 1/10th the amount of animals that I could tame previously. I didnt play t2a so I dont know, but wouldnt it make more sense to go slightly "in betwee" what was previously happening here and what is currently here?...ie previously any tamed animal would be +6 skill or something...now a previously tamed animal will not give you the ability to get skill...wouldnt it make sense to just have it so if you tame an animal and then release it and try to re tame it, no skill...if you try to tame an animal that has never been tamed before, you get a chance to gain skill...if you try to tame an animal that HAS been tamed by 3 or 4 fewer people, you get a chance to gain skill, without that increased minimum skill lvl requirement or whatever.

I"m fine either way but my idea seems like it would make a bit more sense?
It was EXTREMELY EXTREMELY rare to be a high level tamer in this era, let alone GM. This is a good shift towards it, taming would take many many months.

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

MatronDeWinter wrote:For the above tamer,
I'm not agruing with you, but from what I remember, this was simply how taming worked. I remember when I started one and talked to the other tamers and they told me about the taming etiquette (spelling?), where you always rename something you tamed and so on, so that others can know what they can gain off of. You are absolutely right about the spawn rate of monsters, it takes a loooooot more time for something to respawn, and areas where there should be a ton of monsters (fire temple for ex.) there are very few that spawn on this server. I am sure it's probably the same for hellcats and whatever other monsters you may be trying to tame.

Enticement:
The delay now seems about 5 seconds, it's not unmanagable, but it is definately not what it was in T2A. A 4-5 second delay makes things just "ok" but that is assuming that the enticement could be refreshed on re-entice.(Which it cant) From my memory, (and I was probably one of the few who used/GM'd this skill during T2A) the delay was about 1-2 seconds. When I trained the skill I used to sit in the sheep pen in Yew and macro entice-next target, it took me about 40 hours to GM the skill that way. I distinctly remember that when spamming the skill the system message would read "you must wait before using another skill" only once in between success messages. Because the targets cannot be re-enticed during enticement, the skill is now usless for its intended purpose. Which quite frankly is pulling tamed pets away from guarded stuff/bodies. Back in the day, people did actually use the guard command, and you would occasionally find a bag of items guarded by some grizzly bears or something because someones bank was full, and everone was too poor to buy a house. Keep in mind that the demo was just that, a demo.
During T2A, all skills that were usable skills had a 10 second delay on them. The March 9, 2000 patch notes list the skills that had their skill delay reduced to a second in preparation for UOR's release and the release of the anti-macro code.

As for the spawn rates, we haven't gotten started on it, but we have had plans for an entire spawn rewrite that allows us to better emulate the spawns that existed on OSI. With that spawn rewrite, we'll be attempting to more accurately reflect the world spawns themselves (don't expect anything on it anytime soon however).

On another note, for the tamers who are having trouble finding stuff to gain skill on, you will find that all tamers will begin having this trouble, and because of that difficulty, tamers as a collective group will need to promote the etiquette of killing off animals that you have tamed as part of the community effort. Also, as the spawns themselves currently stand, tamers still have it easier than they did on OSI, and when we do rewrite the spawn code, we'll be trying to reflect that accurate behavior.
UOSA Historian and former staff member: August 11, 2008 - June 19, 2016

Useful links for researching T2A Mechanics

Stratics - UO Latest Updates - Newsgroup 1 - Noctalis - UO98.org

BlackFoot
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by BlackFoot »

85 taming -->gm is 100% macroable, no need for pretames, the length of taming loops is the only thing that would affect this
<IronfistMax> tell me where you are in game, and ill come thank you personally
Mad_Max: blackfoot you sent everyone to a slaughter
<Derrick> We will not negotiate with terrorists.
UOSA Society of Adventure and History [UoH]

Faust

Post by Faust »

I macro'd every single point for my GM tamer. :wink: