Patch 95 - April 5-7, 2009: Optimizations, Houses, Ghosts

Information on the latest Server Patches
Derrick

Patch 95 - April 5-7, 2009: Optimizations, Houses, Ghosts

Post by Derrick »

Effective yesterday and today:
  • House placement changes.
    • Easement to the allowance of road tiles under houses. They will now only block on perimeter
    • House placement now asynchronous.
      • Large House placement, especially castle placement was found to be a cause of lag bursts. This was for obvious reasons not disclosed previously.
      • No House placement is allowed during the save warning period; currently 15 seconds prior to world save.
      • Trading or lifting of a House Deed while pending the placement check is denied
      • Reduction to reuse delay on house deeds. They will be further reduced tomorrow. (one second for all types)
      • Only one house placement check may run at a time shard wide, with 10 second timeout in case of heavy load.
  • For the geeks: Maps, Indexes and Statics converted to use MemoryStreams instead of FileStreams to reduce disk accesses.
  • More geek stuff: Changes to threading priorities intended to reduce lag.
  • Reduction in Parry skill gain rate
  • Adjustments to treasure chest trap difficulties
  • Dungeon tile poisons will no longer affect the dead.
For Tomorrow (so far):
  • Dead Clients will not receive status updates of the living, or be able to open paperdolls for non-party mobs
    • (This is a core update, so it may not make it live tomorrow if i oversleep)
  • Ghosts can no longer open spellbook
  • Recall and Gate consume mana and reagents when location is blocked.
  • House add-ons will no longer redeed when the house is deleted. They will simply delete.
  • Terathans, Balron, Drake, IceFiend get speed class increase
  • Balron and Daemon are more aggressive
  • Avenger hits with Lethal poison
  • Barons now come in the darker variety
  • Balron melee damage increase
  • Another Balron weapon adjustment
  • Balron no longer Poison Immune
  • Balrons and dread spiders are added to the level 5 chest guardians
  • Even more geek stuff: Reversion to standard thread priority for Save thread. the changes slowed down saves.

MatronDeWinter
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: Patch 95 - April 5-7, 2009: Optimizations, Houses, Ghosts

Post by MatronDeWinter »

Very nice! Great work, I can't wait to see if not-sending data on status to the clients of the dead will work!

Thanks!

Batlin
wobble llama
wobble llama

Post by Batlin »

Reduction in Parry skill gain rate
And I thought Parry was already slow, my dexxer GM'd mace fighting by PvM, Parry still stuck at 54 :).

I love the geek stuff.
+ORC: If you give a man a crack he'll be hungry again tomorrow, but if you teach him how to crack, he'll never be hungry again.
chumbucket: I don't collect pixels.

Never trust the client. It's in the hands of the enemy : UO Demo internals @ JoinUO

MatronDeWinter
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by MatronDeWinter »

Batlin wrote:
Reduction in Parry skill gain rate
And I thought Parry was already slow, my dexxer GM'd mace fighting by PvM, Parry still stuck at 54 :).

I love the geek stuff.
People were attacking 8 sheep and tabbing out resulting in GM parry in a stupid amount of time. You should try this, im sure it still works, only slightly slower than it was before, but certainly less time than PvM

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

Parry and some other skill gains are currently not correctly accessing difficulty, The parry reduction does bring it in line with other combat skills, but what really needs to be looked at is the difficulty calculation. You should not be able to GM anything combat related on a zombie.

chumbucket
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by chumbucket »

I recall GMing parry on animals. This was, I believe, around the time parry first became a worthwhile skill, so I'm not 100% it was T2A. But I distinctly recall wandering into the wild, having about 50 animals attack me and watching parry gains fly.

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

This is also effective this morning and is added above:
  • Balrons and dread spiders are added to the level 5 chest guardians
As a notice of an upcoming change, and somewhat related to this patch, it's been shown that house add-ons were not redeedable at all prior to AOS and this functionality will be removed in a future patch.

Batlin
wobble llama
wobble llama

Post by Batlin »

As a notice of an upcoming change, and somewhat related to this patch, it's been shown that house add-ons were not redeedable at all prior to AOS and this functionality will be removed in a future patch.
That sounds annoying, I remember I didn't place my large bed right the first time. Does that mean that in the future we should call the help of a GM to have an add-on removed?
+ORC: If you give a man a crack he'll be hungry again tomorrow, but if you teach him how to crack, he'll never be hungry again.

Never trust the client. It's in the hands of the enemy : UO Demo internals @ JoinUO

Kraarug
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kraarug »

Batlin wrote:
That sounds annoying, I remember I didn't place my large bed right the first time. Does that mean that in the future we should call the help of a GM to have an add-on removed?
If I remember right, you just take an axe to your add-on and it's gone. It was a one time thing.

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

That's correct, in era using an axe on a house add-on simply deleted it, there was no getting a deed back. While an accuracy correction, it will also certainly increase the value of these deeds.

Batlin
wobble llama
wobble llama

Post by Batlin »

It isn't in the patch notes but Ocllo bank sure looks different since today.

Wise
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Wise »

YES GO HOUSE ADD ON SALES!!!!
Wise - [Guildmaster, $$$]- Owner of the $$$ Rune Tower & Trusted Merchant

SYNDICATE OF SUCCESSFUL SALESMEN
[$$$]Vendors - [$$$]Runes - [$$$]Events

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

Batlin wrote:It isn't in the patch notes but Ocllo bank sure looks different since today.
Yeah, I just did that, a few months ago I restyled the Ocllo "bank" to look as it did in the T2A demo (which is really very pre-T2A), but the way it's been deco'd today is the way it was for the majority of the era.

Redbeard72

Post by Redbeard72 »

Derrick wrote:That's correct, in era using an axe on a house add-on simply deleted it, there was no getting a deed back. While an accuracy correction, it will also certainly increase the value of these deeds.
I am not sure where you read about that but i think that is wrong. i remember getting a deed back, BUT and i say this aloud BUT, this is great change to increase the price and amount made and resources used to make them. Thank you. GO crafters.
Derrick wrote:

The second scenario is not extremely likely, but it is more likely now than it was previously.

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

Redbeard72 wrote:I am not sure where you read about that...
Log of the eighty-second UO Open House
November 7, 2002, #straticshoc on irc.stratics.com
http://72.14.235.132/search?q=cache:95r ... clnk&gl=au
<CTRLF>F for: All house addons will become deedable