Patch 100 - May 8, 2009: Spell recovery, Action delay, more.

Information on the latest Server Patches
Derrick

Patch 100 - May 8, 2009: Spell recovery, Action delay, more.

Post by Derrick »

Combat and spellcasting related changes
  • There will be a recovery delay on interrupted spells.
  • All weapon swing recovery will be based on stamina (there is no longer a static 2 second timer after disarming)
  • Spells casted (or miscasted) on objects will take reg and mana.
  • Fizzle animation on failed debuff will be on target, not caster
  • Packet throttle on Attack, Lift and Use packets of 1.0 seconds (on average, slightly compensated for lag and bursting)
Other fixes:
  • Fixes issue with disappearing pets, and allows non-interacted with spawns to decay, which should balance out outdoor area spawns and clean up stuck creatures.
  • Magic Reflection, Invis, Reactive, and Protection items will not activate or consume charges if already in effect
  • Adjustments to Southern Lost Lands spawns
  • Orc Lords and Orc Captain equipment correction.
  • Fixed damage on Magic Gnarled Staff's (was doing wand damage when swung)
  • Movement and some other packets are now being more tightly throttled.
  • Decayed corpses now show stones and weight as a normal container.

time2a

Re: Patch 100 - May 8, 2009: Spell recovery, Action delay, more.

Post by time2a »

so no more instant recast on g heal when u get interupted and when disarming hally the timer to re arm now goes by howmiuch stamina thou has?

Reila

Post by Reila »

Fixes issue with disappearing pets, and allows non-interacted with spawns to decay, which should balance out outdoor area spawns and clean up stuck creatures.
This one is great! Ty.

EVeee
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by EVeee »

Derrick wrote:All weapon swing recovery will be based on stamina (there is no longer a static 2 second timer after disarming)
Is this based on percentage of remaining stamina or the character's max stamina?

MatronDeWinter
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by MatronDeWinter »

EVeee wrote:
Derrick wrote:All weapon swing recovery will be based on stamina (there is no longer a static 2 second timer after disarming)
Is this based on percentage of remaining stamina or the character's max stamina?
I believe it is on remaining stamina.

Freeza

Post by Freeza »

Derrick wrote:Combat and spellcasting related changes
  • There will be a recovery delay on interrupted spells.
  • All weapon swing recovery will be based on stamina (there is no longer a static 2 second timer after disarming)
  • Spells casted (or miscasted) on objects will take reg and mana.
  • Fizzle animation on failed debuff will be on target, not caster
  • Packet throttle on Attack, Lift and Use packets of 1.0 seconds (on average, slightly compensated for lag and bursting)
Other fixes:
  • Fixes issue with disappearing pets, and allows non-interacted with spawns to decay, which should balance out outdoor area spawns and clean up stuck creatures.
  • Magic Reflection, Invis, Reactive, and Protection items will not activate or consume charges if already in effect
  • Adjustments to Southern Lost Lands spawns
  • Orc Lords and Orc Captain equipment correction.
  • Fixed damage on Magic Gnarled Staff's (was doing wand damage when swung)
Hey Derrick,

Quick question, I believe all of the research Faust has done shows against what is being implemented in the way of the recovery delay for spells and for the recovery swing, why are these being changed to go against what he had posted over and over again using patch notes to support? Maybe I am just not understanding the changes?

Thank you
Markmosthandsome wrote:
Finesse wrote:-f- disbanded no comment.
lol wtf I'm in the guild and Idk what's going on....

<Pristiq> Shut up prodigy you anti-intellectual simian.

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

Freeza wrote: Hey Derrick,

Quick question, I believe all of the research Faust has done shows against what is being implemented in the way of the recovery delay for spells and for the recovery swing, why are these being changed to go against what he had posted over and over again using patch notes to support? Maybe I am just not understanding the changes?

Thank you
We have found significant evidence, and even more today (which I think Faust may post shortly) that the "refreshes" were indeed stamina based. If what was found today pans out in a straight face test, we may be making a slight modification tommorrow to the swing system.

Safir
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Safir »

Derrick wrote:Other fixes:
What exactly does this mean? I'm just curious and in no way objecting to the above quote. ;)

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

It means there was a little loophole where movement speeds could be exploited in short bursts. This opportunity has been significantly narrowed.

Mung

Post by Mung »

so am i right to believe that on a halby mage with 100 str 100 int 25 dex; that the insta hit timer will refresh in 2 seconds when 25/25 stamina? and scaled down based on the percentage i have left? With say, 10/25 My refresh timer would be 3s and with 0/25 the full timer swing of 4.5? I would really like to know if it percentage based as such.

This being implemented reminds me of how powerful i seem to remember mace mages with qstaff being vs everyone here being halby mage

on a side note I have seen some actual diversity in the tank mages weapons of choice lately, archery is on the come back.

Faust

Post by Faust »

Derrick is correct with his statement. I have conceded that the disarm delay could very well not have been 2 seconds as suggested in the stratics article. My basis for anything in research is the evidence that is presented in front of my face. I don't base my opinion on bias for how the game should be or what template should be best. I simply go by the facts that are on the table.

There are two known logical theories that resolve around "insta hit refreshes", "weapon cycles", "fast swings", or whatever you prefer to call the process... These two theories are wrestling and the static 2 second disarm delay mentioned at Stratics in early February '99.

The difference between the two vary slightly...

The evidence that surrounds wrestling is very slim but there has been some discoveries lately. I'm still convinced that the disarm delay was implemented in 2.26.99, but it was based on the wrestling delay instead of a static 2 second delay. There are a few reasons behind this ideology... First, the disarm delay in modern UO functions exactly the same way. When you unequip your weapon the delay shifts to your wrestling delay. The problem with this philosophy at first was that the speed of wrestling is 50 in modern UO, which would produce roughly the same results in a similar manner like it did in t2a. This was actually a good thing to back up this theory. However, the key arguement behind this was that the delay in the demo for wrestling is 25 and it was hard to believe that the delay increased by a hundred percent when all other weapons were decreased.

This article claims that wrestling was just as fast if not faster than a kryss... A kryss stands at a speed of 53. This is VERY close to the suggested speed of 50 that is listed for wrestling now. The only known change of speeds was in late '98 and '03 when AOS was released. This article dates all the way back to the year of 2001. Now given the mechanical nature of the disarm delay in modern UO and this plausible theory that wrestling was in fact a speed of 50, it's highly likely to be the true result of this feature that many people remember all too well.

I can no longer support my other theory that surrounds the disarm delay over my previous theory of the wrestling delay when disarming a weapon that reproduces this process.

ecetres
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by ecetres »

Nice work guys and thats a ton of great research!!
Guerrilla wrote:
i know i cry alot.... its only because i suck, and I'm going to uninstall UO as you read this

Choppa X

Post by Choppa X »

Safir wrote:
What exactly does this mean? I'm just curious and in no way objecting to the above quote. ;)
It basically means people who used to "speedhack" will have more difficulty doing so now.

Wise
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Wise »

NNNNOOOOOEEEESSS MY LEET PVP SPEED HACKS

Good job derrick, keep up the hard work mate!
Wise - [Guildmaster, $$$]- Owner of the $$$ Rune Tower & Trusted Merchant

SYNDICATE OF SUCCESSFUL SALESMEN
[$$$]Vendors - [$$$]Runes - [$$$]Events

Safir
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Safir »

Choppa X wrote:
Safir wrote:
It basically means people who used to "speedhack" will have more difficulty doing so now.
Derrick wrote:It means there was a little loophole where movement speeds could be exploited in short bursts. This opportunity has been significantly narrowed.
Thank you for the explanation! ;)