Patch 100 - May 8, 2009: Spell recovery, Action delay, more.

Information on the latest Server Patches
Apok
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: Patch 100 - May 8, 2009: Spell recovery, Action delay, more.

Post by Apok »

alright, I've been around the country latley and havent been on much.

I just have one question;

Can you still chain cast or spam cast Mini Heal. ?? or is there a .5 delay on 1st circle to/?

I just need clarification on this one as i said havent been on in a while.

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

The guide that has the information regarding the 0.5 recovery delay is located here. The guide, which was written a few months after AoS came out, notes the values available at that time, and also references the values that were used before AoS. Here is a brief cut and paste from the guide that highlights the pertinent information:

Faster Cast and its little brother Fast Cast Recovery.

Seems fairly straight forward to most, but this basically means, that you Cast and recover faster. Wasn't so hard eh? But whats this mean to you? Simply put if your opponent is casting at FC 2 / FCR 4 (the old default) and you dont match this speed, you have very little chance of winning, as this effectively means getting off double the spells in the same time frame.
This mentions the 2/4 requirement to backtrack to the old values used during UOR.
<Straight cut, havent meddled with krrios' work at all, major kudos to him for it too [img]/php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif[/img], this is mostly as i havent done my own research and cant highly comment on this, but it all appears accurate. has anyone verified that there is truth/no truth behind LordKambria's claim? krrios post>
-----

as quoted from a developer, a minimum of 0.25 has been applied to the casting delay

-3 FC -2 FC -1 FC 0 FC 1 FC 2 FC 3 FC 4 FC
First 1.75 1.50 1.25 1.00 0.75 0.50 0.25 0.25
Second 2.00 1.75 1.50 1.25 1.00 0.75 0.50 0.25
Third 2.25 2.00 1.75 1.50 1.25 1.00 0.75 0.50
Fourth 2.50 2.25 2.00 1.75 1.50 1.25 1.00 0.75
Fifth 2.75 2.50 2.25 2.00 1.75 1.50 1.25 1.00
Sixth 3.00 2.75 2.50 2.25 2.00 1.75 1.50 1.25
Seventh 3.25 3.00 2.75 2.50 2.25 2.00 1.75 1.50
Eighth 3.50 3.25 3.00 2.75 2.50 2.25 2.00 1.75

0 FCR 1 FCR 2 FCR 3 FCR 4 FCR 5 FCR 6 FCR 7 FCR 8 FCR 9 FCR
Recovery Delay 1.50 1.25 1.00 0.75 0.50 0.25 0.00 0.00 0.00 0.00
This actually outlines the time delays that were discovered at the time. At zero faster cast the delay was 1.0 seconds, and at zero faster cast recovery the delay was 1.5 seconds. Given the fact that each point in faster cast or faster cast recovery would effectively push your delay down by 1 tick, a value of 2/4 would result in a first circle delay of 0.5 seconds would match the values that are used here and recorded elsewhere, and a value of 4 for the faster cast recovery would result in a recovery delay of 0.5 seconds. Thus, this shows that the delay during UOR was set at 0.5 seconds.
UOSA Historian and former staff member: August 11, 2008 - June 19, 2016

Useful links for researching T2A Mechanics

Stratics - UO Latest Updates - Newsgroup 1 - Noctalis - UO98.org

Faust

Post by Faust »

Why are we not using the only source of information in regard to this feature than?

I have always claimed in the past that 0.5 was the value of the recovery delay in t2a and UOR eras. It looks like that assumption may in fact have been true from the very beginning.

The reason that it makes sense to use this value is very simple. First, the delay for the guide that makes the recovery delay occur in the first place is based on an eighth circle delay of 2.25 seconds. Secondly, it seems to reason that they would use the minimum circle spell value of 0.5 for the delay itself...

Now that we actually have a source of information after such a long time this should be fixed immediately on test center and distributed to the live servers as quickly as possible.

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

A lower recovery delay, along with a slight modification to In Mani, and a change to the action delay for explosion potions have just been loaded on test center

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

It should be noted that in that guide, or in any other guide associated with cast times, there is no mention of a disrupt delay. Given the lack of any mention of a disrupt delay in any guide, and the fact that during pre-T2A and on live UO there is no delay to cast a new spell when disrupted, there is no evidence to suggest that the delay should be anything other than zero.

Given the above observation, a recast delay of 0.5 and a disrupt delay of 0 are both reasonable numbers (these numbers were tried on test center and were not liked by some).
UOSA Historian and former staff member: August 11, 2008 - June 19, 2016

Useful links for researching T2A Mechanics

Stratics - UO Latest Updates - Newsgroup 1 - Noctalis - UO98.org

d'Troyes
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by d'Troyes »

Did I miss something on action delays? I'm no longer able to use a potion during the entire bandaging process. "You must wait to perform another action."
"Everything is worth what its purchaser will pay for it." - Publilius Syrus (~100 BC)

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

d'Troyes wrote:Did I miss something on action delays? I'm no longer able to use a potion during the entire bandaging process. "You must wait to perform another action."
it's a problem with having razor disarm you, not related to bandaging. Set your action queue delay up a little in razor

d'Troyes
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by d'Troyes »

Derrick wrote:
d'Troyes wrote:Did I miss something on action delays? I'm no longer able to use a potion during the entire bandaging process. "You must wait to perform another action."
it's a problem with having razor disarm you, not related to bandaging. Set your action queue delay up a little in razor
Excellent, thank you! It worked.
"Everything is worth what its purchaser will pay for it." - Publilius Syrus (~100 BC)

Finesse

Post by Finesse »

there should deffently be a delay if your disturbed and it should be the rest of the time for the spell to cast i beleive.

test center seems nice i liked the real shard b4 if im honest but i dont mind as long as we dont get a shitty spam pvp system aka divinity me and chad have dueled a few times on test and it seemed fine so woopy.

Faust

Post by Faust »

There is a distinct difference between the two servers.

First, any damage disrupts a spell on Div unlike here. Damage delays on spells are half of what they should be on top of that. This allows spells like magic arrow, fireball, lightning, etc... to spam with no end disrupting spells without any possible chance to heal.

These reasons alone allows a shard like that to fail like so many before it.

CaptainObv

Post by CaptainObv »

I have some glaring issues with the weapon timer that was implemented in patch 99 and not being fixed in patch 100.

Your basis for this change was the following:
http://update.uo.com/design_195.html

First, just to close my case before it begins, it is titled

Mini-Update Apr 28 2000 3:30PM CST
Fixes and tweaks for the Renaissance publish.

Which means, for those of you still unclear, that it is fixing features introduced during the ren publish.

This patch actually addressed an issue created by the ren publish. The specific issue that they were attempting to fix had to do with archery (as most of you will not remember because you were newbs being pked while killing ettins and orcs in t2a). The reason why the timers on archery were reduced originally was because you could shoot while running after someone. They attempted to fix this in ren. Unfortunately, the patch effected every weapon skill. So that same day (I believe) they took down the servers and published a fix for it. Mere hours after going live. That is why you've never seen it before in other patch notes, because they fucked up and did a mini-publish to fix it.

I normally don't comment on things admins do. They work extremely hard to get it right, and usually correct it when it is wrong. This time they are simply blind to the fact. This feature even will reduce how often I, and many others will die, however, it is woefully inaccurate and needs to be corrected.
<CaptainObv> Did you move my post ripping on felix?
<Blackfoot-> which
<Blackfoot-> he gets ripped on a lot

Kraarug
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kraarug »

CaptainObv wrote:I have some glaring issues with the weapon timer that was implemented in patch 99 and not being fixed in patch 100.

Your basis for this change was the following:
http://update.uo.com/design_195.html

First, just to close my case before it begins, it is titled

Mini-Update Apr 28 2000 3:30PM CST
Fixes and tweaks for the Renaissance publish.

Which means, for those of you still unclear, that it is fixing features introduced during the ren publish.

This patch actually addressed an issue created by the ren publish. The specific issue that they were attempting to fix had to do with archery (as most of you will not remember because you were newbs being pked while killing ettins and orcs in t2a). The reason why the timers on archery were reduced originally was because you could shoot while running after someone. They attempted to fix this in ren. Unfortunately, the patch effected every weapon skill. So that same day (I believe) they took down the servers and published a fix for it. Mere hours after going live. That is why you've never seen it before in other patch notes, because they fucked up and did a mini-publish to fix it.

I normally don't comment on things admins do. They work extremely hard to get it right, and usually correct it when it is wrong. This time they are simply blind to the fact. This feature even will reduce how often I, and many others will die, however, it is woefully inaccurate and needs to be corrected.
Interesting.

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

This is an interesting theory, but is at odds with more concrete evidence.

The demo, which is an authenticated image of a live UO server from 1998, albiet, pre T2A does not allow you to gain time towards a swing while moving. And no patch notes between 1998 and April 2000 indicate any change to this.

Also, this specific behavior was discussed in an AdHoc chat in June of 1998:
http://uohoc.stratics.com/logs/1998-06-04-pub.shtml
Gasper - *DarkW0lf1 * will warriors be able to run and hit rather then stand and wait to swing? this seems like it could solve the problem with archers running away.
DesignerD - We don't have any plans for it with the weapons rescaling, which I must emphasize ONLY changes weapon stats.
It should also be noted, that you cannot run while firing a bow in the demo, which is also consistent with the mechanics timeframe, and indicated timestamp of the demo server.

Faust

Post by Faust »

CaptainObv obviously isn't familiar with the research that is put in behind this server. The other sources for this game mechanic has been brought up numerous times in the past as Derrick clearly pointed out.

CaptainObv

Post by CaptainObv »

As I have have discussed with Kaivan, basing code from a UO demo isn't necessarily the right way to approach a topic. Especially considering that we have no true idea the code used in this demo. Granted, based on a discussion with Kaivan and the little bit of code I have looked at after decompiling the demo, I believe it is code used after december 97.

The demo itself was compiled in September 98.

I do research myself. My only argument is that they are making a huge pvp change based on unclear information. While they showed me comments from designers in HoC regarding stopping to reset timers, which I think mean something entirely different, I showed them a comment from DD in June of 98 referring to archers being able to shoot while on the run with no patch notes saying that it was going to be changed.

I assure you that my recollections are quite clear on this matter. I am sure that a.) you could shoot arrows while running and b.) I would get killing blows on people after chasing them halfway across brittania.
<CaptainObv> Did you move my post ripping on felix?
<Blackfoot-> which
<Blackfoot-> he gets ripped on a lot