Patch 101 - May 14, 2009: Spell recovery time

Information on the latest Server Patches
Derrick

Patch 101 - May 14, 2009: Spell recovery time

Post by Derrick »

The spell recovery time was reduced somewhat this morning after a about a week of testing. This change is discussed in other threads, and is indicated by some research done by Kaivan to be much more certainly accurate than what we implemented in Patch 100.
Threads for some of the discussions that led to this change: Other changes (some have been active for a couple days):
  • Weapon swing speed calculations are now based on Ticks of 0.25 seconds.
    • The effect of this is that weapons like the kryss and katana will same exactly the same swing rate at particular stamina levels.
    • There is no change to the base speed of weapons.
  • Wrestling is faster. (info)
  • Heal Spell (In Mani) amount lowered slightly (discussion here)
  • Explosion potion no longer have a long throw delay(info)
    • The action delay time will be the same as any other item used.
  • Fixed issue allowing players to be attacked in event spectator regions (Tournament, Last man standing)
  • Links in the harassment policy URL's in the help menu now point to our forums
  • Bankers cannot be accessed away from their banks, just like other Vendors.
  • Iron Maiden effects corrected. (thread)
  • Runebooks have no weight. (info)
  • Items with no weight cannot be stolen "directly"
  • Fixes issue with flagging from stealing noob/blessed items
  • Prevents beneficial actions such as healing of other creatures in Survival game.
  • Added animation to fletching (info)
  • Fix for rangers dropping two sets of clothing (bug)

Faust

Re: Patch 101 - May 14, 2009: Spell recovery time

Post by Faust »

This is one of the best patches by far.

We finally have a perfect spell casting system put in place with the addition of the correct weapon cycle process, insta hit refresh, fast swing, or whatever you prefer to call the game feature. This patch helps balance the dexer vs mage issue by utilizing features such as the correct weapon ticks and interruption delay. The last patch made a nice attempt at this but only tilted the scale the opposite way making dexers god like instead of mages like before. I'm glad that we finally got some information to make the spell delays accurate after all that trouble.

Also, Derrick.. The new format that you are using listing the links for the information that was discussed is great. It definitely helps those that don't follow the topics or discussion to better understand the story behind the patch changes.

tekai
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by tekai »

What NO more rune books stealing other then if its in a bag???
[broken image]

Wise
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Wise »

no you cant use the stealing skill directly on a runebook you have to taget the bag or backpack it is it :)
Wise - [Guildmaster, $$$]- Owner of the $$$ Rune Tower & Trusted Merchant

SYNDICATE OF SUCCESSFUL SALESMEN
[$$$]Vendors - [$$$]Runes - [$$$]Events

BlackFoot
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by BlackFoot »

iron maidens for the win
<IronfistMax> tell me where you are in game, and ill come thank you personally
Mad_Max: blackfoot you sent everyone to a slaughter
<Derrick> We will not negotiate with terrorists.
UOSA Society of Adventure and History [UoH]

Apok
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Apok »

Are we done with fixing the recovery delays ect?

time to pvp?

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

tekai wrote:What NO more rune books stealing other then if its in a bag???
Wise wrote:no you cant use the stealing skill directly on a runebook you have to taget the bag or backpack it is it :)
Aye, also runebooks are still susceptible to "random steal", the lowered weight does increase stealing success rate. This is simply an accuracy correction, I don't think it can be claimed that this makes runebooks easier or more difficult to steal overall.

The generally accepted advice on runebooks is simply don't carry them in your backpack.

Faust

Post by Faust »

Apok,

I am highly confident that the recast delays won't be changing unless some radical information suddenly falls from the sky landing in our laps. That type of scenario is highly doubtful though. The chance of something like that ever happening would be pretty much zero.

The only reason this process has been so inconsistant with previous accuracy issues is because there was absolutely nothing to go on but opinions of the players. This typically will be wrong 99% of the time in regard to era accuracy based on the fact that most players choose their personal opinions over accuracy. The lack of memorization and playing other free shards plays a huge role in that process too.

Kaivan was actually able to find some information in regard to the value of the delay after having nothing for so long.

MatronDeWinter
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by MatronDeWinter »

You "can" "random" steal..
You "can" steal if from a bag...

So no, Thats pretty much the end of ever stealing a runebook again.. :evil:

tekai
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by tekai »

I have a feeling i'm going to go from seeing six runes in someones pack to seeing this unstealable rune book.

house looting is going to suffer very much, a VERY accurate t2a aspect. rune books only cost like 500g, who wouldnt carry one now?

as a mugging thief, you need to steal thier rune to stop them from recalling. No one carried runebooks back in the day, but now everyone will.
[broken image]

Apok
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Apok »

Faust wrote:Apok,

I am highly confident that the recast delays won't be changing unless some radical information suddenly falls from the sky landing in our laps. That type of scenario is highly doubtful though. The chance of something like that ever happening would be pretty much zero.

The only reason this process has been so inconsistant with previous accuracy issues is because there was absolutely nothing to go on but opinions of the players. This typically will be wrong 99% of the time in regard to era accuracy based on the fact that most players choose their personal opinions over accuracy. The lack of memorization and playing other free shards plays a huge role in that process too.

Kaivan was actually able to find some information in regard to the value of the delay after having nothing for so long.

Faust,

Thanks again.

cheers.

Faust

Post by Faust »

I honestly don't see much of a change with runebooks.

The most likely case scenario for a book to be lost is from being killed and looted not a thief.

The only time that I ever carried a runebook was in my character's hands. I never once kept it in my backpack at all. It pretty much went from the bank to my hands and back when I was done with it. If people lost a book from a thief they will lose it regardless of the situation in most circumstances.

I have got plenty of runebooks while PKing, but my thief is a totally different story. I never ran into one person on my thief carrying a runebook to this day.

The time lost recalling/marking runes just isn't worth it in my opinion. At least unless you like wasting an enormous amount of time doing it. I know that this is something that doesn't interest me the slightest.

Spitfire

Post by Spitfire »

Derrick wrote:
Wise wrote:no you cant use the stealing skill directly on a runebook you have to taget the bag or backpack it is it :)
Aye, also runebooks are still susceptible to "random steal", the lowered weight does increase stealing success rate. This is simply an accuracy correction, I don't think it can be claimed that this makes runebooks easier or more difficult to steal overall.

The generally accepted advice on runebooks is simply don't carry them in your backpack.
Does random steal target items by weight? i.e. if you radom steal someone are you very likely to target a runebook since it has zero weight, or are you just as likely to target a 10 stone war hammer?

There is not necessarily a lot of time involved in a runebook. You could buy a blank one for 500gp, and place your one house rune (which can be targeted) into the book (which can't be targeted). Not a good day for thieves.

tekai
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by tekai »

Faust i've stolen well over a thousand runes, and atleast three dozen runebooks. matron de winter will agree and attest to this.

This has gotten me ten house loots. TEN. it has Nothing to do with griefing the player by making him make new runes. its about getting information on you.

With runebooks costing dirt, and them being ustealable people will carry them. I will now no longer be able to steal their exit rune, find where the house is, find thier farming spots, where they bank, where they stable

do i need to go on?

All my information about you is based on your runes or runebooks. people DO carry runebooks. I do! even when you could steal them i carryed them for the simple fact that they are nice, and not expencive.

This has crippled the thief class beyond all measure for the theives that accually know what they are doing.

It may not be era accurate to have stealable runebooks. ill attest to that. what ever. but back in the day on OSI getting a rune book during those four months that you could get one during t2a was very hard. you didnt take it with you, your brought runes.

now people wont bring runes. they will have this unstealable runebook, not the 3-6 runes they normally carried.

everyone posting that doesnt have a theif just doesnt understand how much this has hurt us.

*edit* Before any nonsence about how you can get them if you kill the person.. we are NOT pks' we are thieves, there is a very very huge difference.
[broken image]

MatronDeWinter
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by MatronDeWinter »

Faust wrote: The only time that I ever carried a runebook...
So this point is quite moot.
Faust wrote: I never ran into one person on my thief carrying a runebook to this day.
Then you obviously do not play a thief often.

This is a sad day for thieves.

So I ask, what is the EXACT time during T2A that is being emulated here? So that I can research some other changes that are "accurate".