Patch 105: June 24, 2009 - Major Era Mechanics corrections

Information on the latest Server Patches
Hoots
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Re: Patch 105: June 24, 2009 - Major Era Mechanics corrections

Post by Hoots »

Derrick, while the patch does not mention it... Was it not that ONLY house deeds in your MAIN PACK were newbied?

Any deed in sub pack would be lootable and stealable?

Ofcourse, this is a small issue as 99% of the player base here would be on top of this but i know i have read about countless deed "yoinks" out of sub-packs.

My only question is was that implemented after this change as im 100% sure it existed (and would guess it still does) on OSI?

Faust

Post by Faust »

The way this works is that the "container" itself that the item is placed in wouldn't be blessed. This allows a thief or any other conventional means of losing an item such as death could result in losing the item itself. For example, a regular bag with a house deed could allow the thief to target the bag stealing it with the blessed deed inside. The house deed itself cannot be stolen directly or passively only the container holding the deed can be stolen or lost.

Hoots
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Hoots »

Faust wrote:The way this works is that the "container" itself that the item is placed in wouldn't be blessed. This allows a thief or any other conventional means of losing an item such as death could result in losing the item itself. For example, a regular bag with a house deed could allow the thief to target the bag stealing it with the blessed deed inside. The house deed itself cannot be stolen directly or passively only the container holding the deed can be stolen or lost.
Are you saying how it works here or how it worked on OSI? Im not sure ill have time at work today to look it up but im almost positive you could directly steal a deed (by targeting it) in a sub-pack.

Minor issue, but i know you guys want to make sure it is accurate!

Faust

Post by Faust »

I remember it the way that I described it. I made sure to look it up before posting as always too.
Stratics wrote:Blessed: These items cannot be looted or stolen. As with all blessed items it is important to leave the item in your main backpack. Placing a blessed gift in a container inside your backpack will make the item susceptible to thieves as they can steal the container with the blessed item inside.
I can't verify if this is the way that it works on UOSA or not though... We will have to wait for Derrick or someone else to verify that when they have a chance.

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

Currently you cannot steal anything that is newbied or blessed whether in a main pack or sub pack, However any containers in the backpack will drop to the corpse on death including and newbied or blessed items within, so newbied and blessed items are only wholly safe in the top level of your backpack.

This is the way it works on UOSA. I understood that this behavior was correct, but please let me know what you find out.

Thanks.

Hoots
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Hoots »

I think faust is right about it being the containers being stolen/lootable and not the deeds. I couldnt find anything noting deeds being targetable in a quick 15 min search.

In fact, every scam post i found envolved putting checks or deeds in a bag to put in trade window and then last target steal the bag as soon as the trade is completed...

So as long as a container with a deed in it is stealable (assuming it meets weight criteria) and the subcontainers are lootable it would appear to be accurate.

Hicha
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Hicha »

I've tested it; if you have blessed items in your main backpack and not in any type of container, they'll be with you upon resurrection.

If you have them in a sub container, they'll be on your corpse in that container. This applies to anything blessed or newbied (newbie clothes, starter weapons/items, etc.)
"I consider most of you NPC's that inhabit the single player game that I am here to enjoy." - MatronDeWinter

MatronDeWinter
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by MatronDeWinter »

If you have something blessed in a bag, and that bag is light enough to steal, it can be stolen. The bag also falls to your corpse on death with whatever you had inside it.

Trojan Man

Post by Trojan Man »

Ok, I agree with all of the changes included with this patch, except one. Taking away bank check? comon man. This makes a large purchase secure. Say goodbye to people buying houses already placed, people buying mares and other high dollar items. There will be to many scammers taking advantage of this. I know I wont be buying ANYTHING that is a large sum of money. Or selling for that matter. Now, if gold didnt weight so much on a person, that'd be a different story, as in you could carry 100000 or more gold, w/o anything else in your pack, sure. But like i said, say goodbye to people making big purchases. Only idiots would put a massive amount of gold on a pack animal to be gated to aplace w/o guards. I predict many people will quit, due to Matron De Winter and other griefers who are probably creaming thierselves now that they have many other avenues to greif people. :|

Batlin
wobble llama
wobble llama

Post by Batlin »

I know I wont be buying ANYTHING that is a large sum of money.
The house deeds are newbied now. Buy as many deeds as you need, and trade the high priced item for those deeds. Sounds safe to me.
+ORC: If you give a man a crack he'll be hungry again tomorrow, but if you teach him how to crack, he'll never be hungry again.
chumbucket: I don't collect pixels.

Never trust the client. It's in the hands of the enemy : UO Demo internals @ JoinUO

Faust

Post by Faust »

People really need to learn the tactics to get around all of this that were used back in the day like Batlin pointed out...

Trojan Man

Post by Trojan Man »

Batlin wrote:
I know I wont be buying ANYTHING that is a large sum of money.
The house deeds are newbied now. Buy as many deeds as you need, and trade the high priced item for those deeds. Sounds safe to me.

Im not talking about house deeds. Im talking about houses that are already placed and trying to be purchased. But yes, that is a good idea for using house deeds to buy a high priced item. Unfortunatly, this wont include anything thats under the price of a small house deed.

EVeee
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by EVeee »

First and foremost, I applaud all efforts made by Derrick and the staff. Thanks for bringing Ultima back and trying to make it better.

With regard to the patch -
Trash barrel change - couldn't care less. It's easy enough to protect your house with or without them, and if it's era-accurate then so be it.

House deed change - Since I was just building a thief, hate it. :) Again, era-accuracy prevails but since I noticed the patch date of may '99 I can't help but wonder if it was both ways during the era (stealable and non-stealable) and ask why staff decided to choose the non-stealable side of the fence.

Explosion potion change - Whatever the patch notes say, but twice since this patch was put in I've had a character with 100 str killed in town right in front of Vesper bank and I'd REALLY like to know how that's possible now.

Faust

Post by Faust »

EVeee wrote: House deed change - Since I was just building a thief, hate it. :) Again, era-accuracy prevails but since I noticed the patch date of may '99 I can't help but wonder if it was both ways during the era (stealable and non-stealable) and ask why staff decided to choose the non-stealable side of the fence.
The target date for UOSA is to replicate the t2a era at the end of the last patch in '99.

Beetle Juice

Post by Beetle Juice »

Great job guys, now that the CTF and DD events have been completely exploited, the trophy's have been eliminated. It's like the parent that tells the kids to stop throwing the ball over the fence or they will keep it, and the kids continue, so the parent finally keeps the ball. I am not a fan of removing the trophy's for this event as I like Tron, am unable to make events until late at night till early morning.

On another note, the correction to macing damage on armor is great! I have been waiting for these changes for a long time. Great work to all who deserve it!
Beetle Juice, Beetle Juice, Beetle. . .

[03:43] <beetlejuice> Hey, where did u get the idea for the small deco contest?
[03:44] <beetlejuice> Didn't you see my kitchen and copy mine?
[04:28] <Blackfoot> yea i stole your kitchen