Voting for UOSA (2016 Update)

News and Announcements
inkognito
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: Publicizing the Server and helping players find us

Post by inkognito »

Foxhound3857 wrote:Shadow Age server is launching in two days, so this one might have some competition. Sadly, that's probably where I'll be playing. I loved my paladin back in AoS and I was a trammie at heart, I hated having PvP forced on me every time I left the protection of town guards or the risk of nothing in my bag being safe from some sticky fingers.
Good luck. We will be here. Always.

On a less trammel Note: got my boss who played with 2 of his buddies back in the ol 90's to come and try us out. Publisized accomplished!
Li Meiyang wrote:Banned for"trashtalking for no reason"
Inkognito was flamebaiting me with all the "no" stuff.WTF is that?
Inkognito●GM Provocation

pacificflows

Post by pacificflows »

If you didn't quit as soon as EA bought out OSI, then you're not a true Britannian.

Foxhound3857

Post by Foxhound3857 »

pacificflows wrote:If you didn't quit as soon as EA bought out OSI, then you're not a true Britannian.
Trammies are true Britannians. I don't like forced PvP. I like looting and killing monsters without risk of a red coming up and killing me just because I was there.

yakkabakka

Post by yakkabakka »

there are always new shards starting, some people go and check them out and some people play multiple shards. Some new shards last and others fold quickly. It is nice to have consistency to come back to when in the mood for UO. Good luck over there.

Dustyn

Post by Dustyn »

I moved to Second Age with my brother and we are satisified so far. The population seems low with 150-200... but I seem to encounter people everywhere (except in dungeons but the spawns aren't so interesting there anyways there are only serpents and spiders :P) ... I think other servers probably lie about their population on their shard and here is being real. Regardless, I would really like the population to raise. I'm sure something can be done. :)

It is mainly by advertising I believe, not just on websites, but to people themselves. The way I discovered this shard was somebody who pmed me some years ago, and not some websites. However, I only just made garbage characters to sneak peek on this shard but it's only seven years later I decided to make it my home and I hope I didn't regret coming so late.

It was a personalized message too, an invitation that could make me join here. "bring over your roleplay, there will be orcs, this and that"... they knew who I was, and found me a reason for me to join. So find people and give them a reason to join. Just giving them the link and tell them it's old school ain't enough. Everybody's got a good economy and houses already, so the strategy isn't like at a server launch!

bronze

Post by bronze »

I just joined this shard the other day so here's my 2 cents for all it's worth. I played UO back in the day on Izumo and Napa Valley for years along with my friends and brothers, and quit around a year after the whole trammel/feluca thing came to be.

I've played free shards here and there and I always play for a month or two then stop for a few years until I'm bored randomly one day. Anyway fast forward to this past time I decided "hey I'm in the mood to play UO" because I'm having a shit ton of fun this time and want to play for at least a few months if not indefinitely.

I specifically wanted to play some T2A UO. I first googled "best uo free shard" and came up with that Excelsior site. It seemed cool until I saw mentions of "young" and ninja stuff and realized it was definitely not a T2A era server. I then google "uo t2a shard" and this site is the first result, and here I am.

I for one am loving the population at the moment. It's big enough that I get to see people in the usual places (blues/reds/etc alike) but also I'm still able to get away and get some privacy if I still want to. I look forward to playing this shard for a while for sure.

Malthus

Post by Malthus »

I just discovered the shard and community last week. I played intermittently from 98 forward.

I had happened to read uo.stratics.com and second age was mentioned there which led me here.

Third post.

bronze

Post by bronze »

Would someone mind helping me out here? I just got this private message from the user Aeris:

---------
Subject: Re: Publicizing the Server and helping players find us
Sent: Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:47 am

Are you still around?
---------

I'm most definitely still around but apparently my account doesn't have the ability to send pms. If someone could forward this along I'd really appreciate it. Thanks!

Nickodemuse

Post by Nickodemuse »

finally someone came in from NVOS. Malthus, click the irc link and join the chat. I am in there as Nickodemuse. PM me and ill hook ya up. If you all ready in there, just pm me. Same for you Bronze

bronze

Post by bronze »

Nickodemuse wrote:finally someone came in from NVOS. Malthus, click the irc link and join the chat. I am in there as Nickodemuse. PM me and ill hook ya up. If you all ready in there, just pm me. Same for you Bronze
My play times are incredibly random but tend to lean towards late as crap when I can actually UO it up for a few hours at a time. That being said, 99.9% of the time I'm on UO I'll be on IRC as BronzeRuby. I've already met a lot of very cool people there :D

After a few days of trying I finally placed a large brick house and UO life is very good right about now. Thanks to everyone in IRC who helped me out with housing questions (for example I didn't realize corpses counted as an illegal object, damn you mongbats)

SirEricKain
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by SirEricKain »

How often can you vote on a single IP address??

I just voted everything possible.

I encourage all of you to vote, the frequency in which we are capable of voting would be beneficial to the cause.

Thank you,
Sir Eric Kain,
King of Shadowmire

Durzo Blint

Post by Durzo Blint »

bump

dvs
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by dvs »

Good bump. Some dedicated shard promotion from us players would help alot and bring new life into the shard i so loved 4 or 5 years ago.

dvs
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by dvs »

Also, it wouldn't hurt for Derrik or maybe one of the other admins to go through and correct the descriptions on the voting sites and remove the ones that are no longer active?

JoinUO Shard List - gone
UOGateway - shows 400+ online in description
XtremeTop100 - same shows 400+
Top Free Game Sites - holy advertising popups batman
TopList - good - maybe a bit more description needed?
MMORPG Top List - this poor guy says we have 500+ players - lol?
Top 100 Gaming Sites - seems to be working

Boomland Jenkins
Second Age Staff
Second Age Staff

Post by Boomland Jenkins »

dvs wrote:Also, it wouldn't hurt for Derrik or maybe one of the other admins to go through and correct the descriptions on the voting sites and remove the ones that are no longer active?

JoinUO Shard List - gone
UOGateway - shows 400+ online in description
XtremeTop100 - same shows 400+
Top Free Game Sites - holy advertising popups batman
TopList - good - maybe a bit more description needed?
MMORPG Top List - this poor guy says we have 500+ players - lol?
Top 100 Gaming Sites - seems to be working
I tried to do this. They require us to have access to the account that created the listing. I put in requests for adjustments. I've tried from both angles as an Admin here, and even telling the Site webmasters to look at the online count. One of the sites said I was requesting the change to be malicious because I wanted to change the 400+ online and he felt that I must be a competitor because why would the shard want to lower their online count?

Luckily, with exception to a few voting sites, these websites are all garbage and we should just focus on 2-3 of them at most. Beyond that, our best bet is to have people in our community extend their reach to their own gaming networks/communities. When you can get a community to come try a product out (in this case, UOSA), you usually have a mass influx of players who already have friends (because they come together) and this provides stronger roots for those users.

An example of this from early 2004 is when IPY1 re-launched and a ton of people from the Something Awful forums came over as a group (someone mentioned the game there, a ton of people wanted to embrace the nostalgia together), I think it was something like 600 people joined IPY from this surge alone and naturally, 15-25% of them were retained for the long haul. I don't have exact numbers because I was just a player and Counselor on IPY1 , but I remember the discussion from the staff IRC channel a bit.

Sir Eric Kain just recent (today?) posted that he'd like to do a similar thing, with a large roleplaying community website. This is a great approach if it's done in the proper way. Creating a brand new account and spamming UOSA UOSA UOSA is bad. However, if you already have roots in a community, it's usually more acceptable to plug something you love. Think about what forums you post on and if their Off Topic/general discussion board would handle an UOSA plug well.
Eat. Sleep. Ultima.

Return to “Shard News”