GM hally hits (without anat) hit too hard

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
Faust

Re: GM hally hits (without anat) hit too hard

Post by Faust »

I'm still not positive what Derrick ended up doing when he modified the original swing timer. However, it's obvious that the weapon cycling portion of it is based on the swing states. Wrestling has a speed of 50 and the slowest rate the timer can have is 12 ticks (3 seconds) between the timer loop process. The wrestling speed is obvioulsy the key behind the weapon cycling with hallies just like in the previous timer that existed before it.

archaicsubrosa77
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by archaicsubrosa77 »

By stratics 50 stamina and 25 weapon speed would land you a swing about 3.5 seconds.
Can you pull off 2 second hally hits with 50 stamina?
Derrick wrote:I wish it were possible that a mount could be whacked while you are riding it, but to the best of my knowedge it is not.

Matty
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Matty »

Psilo wrote:Some of the mechanics aren't right, mini heal is too effective.
are you trying to say that mini heal consistently heals too much dmg (13 hp)? because this is more than likely the biggest problem in the game.

Mikel123
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mikel123 »

He is trying to say that, and he's wrong.

Well, sorry. It's "effectiveness" is a matter of opinion. It's accuracy has been gone through over and over. It's correct.

Matty
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Matty »

Mikel123 wrote:He is trying to say that, and he's wrong.

Well, sorry. It's "effectiveness" is a matter of opinion. It's accuracy has been gone through over and over. It's correct.
idk if i trust a guy who doesn't know the difference between "its" and "it's."

seriously though it seems incorrect to me and a lot of people i've talked to. what has seemed off to me for a while is how a mage can miniheal his way out of a tight spot with a dexer so effectively and consistently-- any good mage can just about do this in his sleep. that isn't the way it was. pot chugging dexers were once feared! remember? i hated fighting them, even on my hallymage. it sucked and sometimes i died. much more often than now a good mage lost, even to a trash dexer who kept up his stam and hit points. but here it's insanely difficult to finish even an above-average tankmage, even if you know how to throw and land exp pots; which wasn't really done back in the day. if anything, that should level the playing field. minus, what, 9 hp every 3.5 seconds? it doesn't, and it's for good reason. i'm suggesting the pvp is not as accurate as it could be for two reasons: 1.) miniheal heals too much too consistently 2.) hally dmg too much too consistently.

i remember miniheal sometimes only healing 7hp. that barely ever happens on this server. almost all the miniheals are 12 and above. unrelated, i also had a 50 hp gheal the other week. is that normal?

for those of you not sold on this, at least admit the dexer is gimped or the hallymage is a little more powerful.

morganm

Post by morganm »

Does Eval Int effect all magic or just spells which deal damage?

Mikel123
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mikel123 »

Do yourself a favor and please do a search on this topic before spouting the same exact thing others did in years past. Many people spent a lot of time debating this a long time ago and it's unfair to ask them to respond to you, again, in the exact same way they did to others in the past, when you can simply look up the conversation.

My hunch as to why one can mini-heal so well here versus in 1999 is due to ping and Razor having a "heal self" hotkey which automatically targets you. Ask yourself, in 1999:

- if you had a 20-100 ping like you have here
- if you had GM magery
- if you had GM resist
- if you had a mini-heal hotkey
- if you had a target self hotkey
- if you had the "queue target self" function
- if you had a one-keypress to cast miniheal and immediately target yourself

I didn't have UOA back then but I assume it was at least a two-key combo (one to cast, one to target). My hunch is that at least a couple of the answers to the above items were "no". Mini-heal chaining is only effective here because it can happen so quickly. With a couple "no" answers to the above, it's significantly slower, and might not gain you any ground on someone who simply casts another ebolt and targets you.

ImaNewbie

Post by ImaNewbie »

I believe that even in 1999 you had the option 'wait for target' in your UO option where you set your maccros, not sure about it though because I don't know how the features were added to that.
making your own forum avatar/banner using Adobe CS5. Cheap and Fast delivery, pm me for details.

nightshark
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by nightshark »

People actually use that mini heal self thing? Or queue target? No wonder everyone on UOSA is so bad.

I ping 210 btw and can mini heal with the best of em.
<green> grats pink and co. .... the 3 of you f---ing scrubs together can blow up a bard. IMPRESSIVE

Faust

Post by Faust »

Again, the original script/code used by OSI for mini heal...

Code: Select all

#include <spelskil>

integer Q4K9(object user, object usedon)
{
  integer Q5NC = 0x00;
  if(CanBeHarmed_Q50G(usedon))
  {
    integer Q5MJ;
    location loc_Q4VS = getLocation(user);
    location there = getLocation(usedon);
    faceHere(user, getDirectionInternal(loc_Q4VS, there));
    doMobAnimation(usedon, 0x376A, 0x09, 0x20, 0x00, 0x00);
    sfx(there, 0x01F2, 0x00);
    if(hasObjVar(this, "magicItemBonus"))
    {
      Q5MJ = 0x05 + dice(0x01, 0x06);
    }
    else
    {
      Q5MJ = ((getSkillLevel(user, 0x19) / 0x0A) + dice(0x01, 0x06));
    }
    integer Q4FY = getCurHP(usedon);
    addHP(usedon, Q5MJ);
    integer Q5CO = getCurHP(usedon);
    Q5MJ = Q5CO - Q4FY;
    string Q4PN = Q5MJ;
    if(isPlayer(user))
    {
      systemMessage(user, Q4PN + " points of damage have been healed.");
    }
    if(Q5MJ > 0x00)
    {
      integer boolResult_Q527 = Q41J(user, usedon, 0x00, this);
      Q5NC = 0x01;
    }
  }
  Q5UQ(this);
  return(Q5NC);
}

The amount healed here in the original OSI code is quite clear...

Code: Select all

Q5MJ = ((getSkillLevel(user, 0x19) / 0x0A) + dice(0x01, 0x06));
Magery Skill / 10 + Random(1-6) = 11-16 at GM magery. The formula used here on UOSA is actually to a lesser degree where the original formula isn't even being used. Mikel is correct that this has been discussed a million times over too.

MatronDeWinter
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by MatronDeWinter »

That's from the demo right? If you claim that as accurate, show me the code in there for hally cycling.

rouss

Post by rouss »

MatronDeWinter wrote:That's from the demo right? If you claim that as accurate, show me the code in there for hally cycling.
its in the core (compiled)
Chesapeake Nov. 1998 — July 2000
Second Age Feb. 2009 —

MatronDeWinter
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by MatronDeWinter »

rouss wrote:
MatronDeWinter wrote:That's from the demo right? If you claim that as accurate, show me the code in there for hally cycling.
its in the core (compiled)
Faust wrote:Again, the original script/code used by OSI for mini heal...
Sounds like it comes from the demo.

Faust

Post by Faust »

There is no indication that mini heal ever changed from the exact OSI scripts that we have from mid-late '98 Matron.

We have solid evidence that the spell had the potential for up to 12 points to be healed without a doubt. Also, there is an Ultima Online google group mentioning a 14 point heal. However, there is no concrete evidence to pin point what the exact formula was/is for the given time period here. What should be done in this case? Should we take the original formula that OSI used that produces some of the same values that are known to be accurate or make up a random formula out of the blue that utilizes these same values? The logical answer, until proven otherwise, is obvious in my opinion.

Matron your ignorance on the combat timer is astounding and will not be discussed with me until you educate yourself better on the matter.

Loathed

Post by Loathed »

not to derail this "off topic" discussion but, when/is the dmg bonus being removed from full durability weapons? not landing a hally hit for under 15 to 18 dmg shouldn't be possible w/out anatomy.
Hally mages were not as powerful as they are now. We (tank mages w/ hallies) did land big hits, but it wasn't a constant 20% or more hp per swing. Keep in mind halberds had the top end dmg of all melee weapons, but they also had the lowest. From what i've heard, the dmg bonus was added to UO when the dmg tables to weapons were changed. Anyone else have some knowledge on this?