T2a teleport at glow?

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
platy

T2a teleport at glow?

Post by platy »

I thought this was brought up, didn't it prevent you from constantly going between via "Your spirit lacks the cohesion to travel at this time" or something?
I remember this, but not if it was in during t2a or UOR..
Anyone remember this also?
Was it also for gates or just the Recdu/Recsu teleporter?

Derrick

Re: T2a teleport at glow?

Post by Derrick »

platy wrote:I thought this was brought up, didn't it prevent you from constantly going between via "Your spirit lacks the cohesion to travel at this time" or something?
I remember this, but not if it was in during t2a or UOR..
Anyone remember this also?
Was it also for gates or just the Recdu/Recsu teleporter?
Yeah, I've got this on my list. I think it was for all moongates as well, and was put in to assist in stopping duping. This is only my interpretation of what I read, without the specifics I've been hesitant to take any action.
"The text in this article or section may be incoherent or very hard to understand, and should be reworded if the intended meaning can be determined."

Psilo

Post by Psilo »

There's also an inaccuracy with world moongates.

Whenever you "run through" the moongate it you shouldn't automatically send you through like that, they are supposed to work like the gate travel spell moongates. You must stand on the gate for like 500 miliseconds to go through, or double click it while standing next to it.

Right now the world gates act like the RunUO default moongates. OSI was never like that, and yea I remember the cohesion on world moongates as well as the recdu /recsu teleporter.

Stranger

Post by Stranger »

It was definatly on the moongates, I dont remember it on the moonglow TP. But on moongates.
[01:12:32] <Nevermore> Stranger you are the reason I hate christmas
[01:12:36] <Nevermore> You specifically
[01:12:44] <Nevermore> Every year? Christmas sucks. Because of Stranger

MatronDeWinter
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by MatronDeWinter »

Anyone have the specific patch for the moongate "gump" change? I remember it but Im unsure of the timeline, and cant seem to find it at the moment.

I do remember them adding the recdu/recsu delay, then people started duping (well "blackholing their player") at the entrance to the cave in the back of Delucia.

Bigoud
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Bigoud »

i think this gate patch came pretty late in my UO lifetime, please make sure it was during T2A

thanks
Yew Bank Mall
Everything you need is there ! Check it out on the link below !
http://forum.uosecondage.com/viewtopic. ... 859#p72859

Caswallon
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Caswallon »

The gump came in with Ilshenar in UO3d.

UO Team
14 Mar 2001 00:00:00 EST
http://www.uoherald.com/news/news.php?newsid=652
Players will be able to use a menu system on the public moongates to select destination, including which facet.
Slightly OT but we should not have the descriptions of the other side on the public moongates either, they came in Feb 2000.

Server Publish
UO Team 23 Feb 2000 00:00:00 EST
http://www.uoherald.com/news/news.php?newsid=597
Moongates
Single clicking the left mouse button on a moongate will give you a description of what lies through the gate. This will allow you to know where the gate is currently going without having to jump through them over and over again until you reach your destination. This will help improve server performance as less players will need to “jump” through moongates.
?

Batlin
wobble llama
wobble llama

Post by Batlin »

Here is OSI's moongate script from 1998:

Code: Select all

// UO-C
include itemmanip;

function integer Q4LC(object it, object Q68S)
{
  if(isShopkeeper(Q68S))
  {
    return(0x00);
  }
  location Q61U = getLocation(it);
  integer Q61P = getObjVar(it, "gateID");
  integer Q4HO = getMoonGateDest(Q61P);
  location Q4HP;
  switch(Q4HO)
  {
  case 0x00:
    Q4HP = 0x1173, 0x0503, 0x0A;
    break;
  case 0x01:
    Q4HP = 0x0538, 0x07CD, 0x05;
    break;
  case 0x02:
    Q4HP = 0x05DB, 0x0EBB, 0x05;
    break;
  case 0x03:
    Q4HP = 0x0303, 0x02F0, 0x05;
    break;
  case 0x04:
    Q4HP = 0x0A8D, 0x02B4, 0x05;
    break;
  case 0x05:
    Q4HP = 0x0724, 0x0B84, 0x00 - 0x14;
    break;
  case 0x06:
    Q4HP = 0x0283, 0x0813, 0x05;
    break;
  case 0x07:
    Q4HP = 0x0DEB, 0x085B, 0x22;
    break;
  case 0x029A:
    break;
  case 0x029B:
    break;
  default:
    bark(it, "default case");
    break;
    return(0x01);
  }
  Q48E(Q68S);
  moveDir(Q4HP, getFacing(Q68S));
  Q5Z2(Q68S, Q4HP);
  setLastValidTerrainLoc(Q68S, Q4HP);
  integer r = teleport(Q68S, Q4HP);
  return(!r);
}

on enterrange<0x00>(object target)
{
  return(Q4LC(this, target));
}

on use(object user)
{
  if(getLocation(this) == getLocation(user))
  {
    integer Q527 = Q4LC(this, user);
  }
  return(0x00);
}
Three things we learn from this:

1) You can only double click the moongate when you're on the moongate itself (see: on use event)

2) There is no delay of 500ms whatsoever unless this what implemented later on. (see: enterrange event)
I could not find a single patch note between 1997 and 1999 speaking about a delay being added.

3) The lookedat (looked at=single click) event is not implemented, this corresponds to Caswallon's find
+ORC: If you give a man a crack he'll be hungry again tomorrow, but if you teach him how to crack, he'll never be hungry again.
chumbucket: I don't collect pixels.

Never trust the client. It's in the hands of the enemy : UO Demo internals @ JoinUO

Hicha
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Hicha »

Batlin wrote:Three things we learn from this:

1) You can only double click the moongate when you're on the moongate itself (see: on use event)

2) There is no delay of 500ms whatsoever unless this what implemented later on. (see: enterrange event)
I could not find a single patch note between 1997 and 1999 speaking about a delay being added.

3) The lookedat (looked at=single click) event is not implemented, this corresponds to Caswallon's find
You forgot 4.

4) OSI prefers to use excessive switch/case methods instead of an array and arbitrary value.
"I consider most of you NPC's that inhabit the single player game that I am here to enjoy." - MatronDeWinter

Caswallon
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Caswallon »

Just found this:

T2A Travel Delay
UO Team
11 May 2000 00:00:00 EST
The voice triggered teleporters will have the same delay placed on them as player cast gates. Players will now be required to wait a minimum two seconds when traveling via this method. Attempting to travel to and from the T2A lands multiple times will cause this wait period to grow longer. The waiting period will cap at approximately 32 seconds before resetting to two seconds.
http://www.uoherald.com/news/archives.p ... t=pubNotes
?

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

I believe, yet am without specifics at this time, that both the ability to click on the moongate to see where it's going, and to double click the gate when next to it were both added explicitly in T2A era patches that postdate the demo.

The delay on entering a moongate could likely have been related to synchronization between sub-servers.

The T2A Travel Delay comes well after our intended timeframe, but i believe the "Your spirit lacks the cohesion to travel at this time" predates this change. Any ideas or recollections on the delay between moongate uses would be great.
"The text in this article or section may be incoherent or very hard to understand, and should be reworded if the intended meaning can be determined."

nightshark
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by nightshark »

Batlin wrote:Three things we learn from this:

This is the way I recall moongates working also, I remember gating other player's tamed dragons post-UO:R and I don't recall having to stand 1 tile behind the gate and being forced to receive melee attacks from the dragon - gating dragons was not a dangerous this to do, like it is here.

Regarding cohesion - I read something on this a LONG time ago on stratics which said that the delay on using moongates would double every time you failed to use the moongate (lacking cohesion). However, I don't believe this went 2,4,8,16,32,32(cap). That would have been far more noticeable than what actually happened in practice (imagine waiting 31s and then failing, and doing that twice in a row - it just didn't happen). What I believe happened was more like this:

2s until next moongate use
[player clicks moongate 1s later]
2-1*2 = 2s until next moongate use
[player clicks moongate 0.5s later]
(2-0.5)*2=3s until next moongate use
[player tries again 0.5s later]
(3-0.5)*2=5s until next moongate use
[player waits 4 seconds, tries again]
(5-4)*2=2s until next moongate use

This is entirely speculation based off what I have read on moongate use though.

Finally, the reason I even searched for this thread, was a little piece of era accuracy I recalled:
When you are in a guarded area, and jump in a moongate that goes to an unguarded area, you should receive a gump asking "Are you sure you want to go through this moongate?". I can't remember the exact wording on the moongate, but we definitely don't have this here. It only appeared on gates from a guarded region to an unguarded.

This caused a double issue when trying to use gates while overloaded. Even if you managed to walk onto the moongate, you'd then recieve the gump, which was impossible to click with an item in your hands.

Bump for era accuracy.
<green> grats pink and co. .... the 3 of you f---ing scrubs together can blow up a bard. IMPRESSIVE

Rammar
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Rammar »

nightshark wrote:Finally, the reason I even searched for this thread, was a little piece of era accuracy I recalled:
When you are in a guarded area, and jump in a moongate that goes to an unguarded area, you should receive a gump asking "Are you sure you want to go through this moongate?". I can't remember the exact wording on the moongate, but we definitely don't have this here. It only appeared on gates from a guarded region to an unguarded.

This caused a double issue when trying to use gates while overloaded. Even if you managed to walk onto the moongate, you'd then recieve the gump, which was impossible to click with an item in your hands.

Bump for era accuracy.
Completely forgot about this! I thought you could still hit the OK while carrying stuff in your hands though. Might be mistaken.
When stepping into a gate that goes from a guard-protected region to an unguarded region, you are now given a confirmation window to ensure that you don't step into a trap.
http://wiki.uosecondage.com/?title=Ulti ... 12/09/1997

nightshark
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by nightshark »

Rammar wrote:Completely forgot about this! I thought you could still hit the OK while carrying stuff in your hands though. Might be mistaken.
When stepping into a gate that goes from a guard-protected region to an unguarded region, you are now given a confirmation window to ensure that you don't step into a trap.
http://wiki.uosecondage.com/?title=Ulti ... 12/09/1997
Nice find.

Try using gumps with something in your hands; it's a client side thing, so unless they patched the client at some stage, it still won't work.
<green> grats pink and co. .... the 3 of you f---ing scrubs together can blow up a bard. IMPRESSIVE

Brules

Post by Brules »

Nice discussion.....too bad fishing didn't get the same before it got nerfed...... :roll: And I remember the"body lacks cohesion" thing. Made you much more wary of gate hoping as you might get stuck on one side!