Sea Serpents moving too fast.

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
Lord Cavewight of GL

Sea Serpents moving too fast.

Post by Lord Cavewight of GL »

Lately when I pull up a sea serpent I will say "forward" and the boat will move at max speed while the sea serpent stays glued to the side of my boat.

No matter what I do I cant seem to outrun the serpents at all.

Definitely don't remember them swimming that fast back on GL.

Duke Jones
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: Sea Serpents moving too fast.

Post by Duke Jones »

water elementals seem to keep pace with full speed boats as of late, as well. Perhaps something needs to be tweaked with monsters spawned in areas designated as water?
"When you remove human error, accuracy, and speed, you remove the human element."

poogoblin

Post by poogoblin »

Whether or not this is correct...I'm guessing it is probably the boat speed that needs to be changed

Mikel123
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mikel123 »

I used a boat a couple months ago and was shocked at how slow it was.

For some reason, I remember there being two speeds, "forward" and "slow forward". Perhaps the explanation is that our command of "forward" is being interpreted as "slow forward".

As for the speed relative to serpents or elementals, I can't say for sure.

Krats

Post by Krats »

I've noticed that while moving in a Northern Direction if the serpent/element/dolphin are touching the left side of the boat next to the tillerman they will "hitch a ride". Its easy to get them off via Peacemaking in my experience
When you play with fire, there is a 50/50 chance something will go wrong, and nine times out of ten it does.
Teph wrote:chum stole a castle, a f**in castle.
Derrick wrote:I hate to see this go unanswered, so I can at least say that I read this, and have no idea myself.

Lord Cavewight of GL

Krats wrote:I've noticed that while moving in a Northern Direction if the serpent/element/dolphin are touching the left side of the boat next to the tillerman they will "hitch a ride". Its easy to get them off via Peacemaking in my experience
I think that this may be the case.

Maybe they just get stuck to the boat, but move fine in other respects?

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

Test to make sure they aren't on the boat, Boats should be moving way faster than creatures at full speed. We do have both movement speeds, <direction> and slow <direction>. in slow they probably would keep up.
"The text in this article or section may be incoherent or very hard to understand, and should be reworded if the intended meaning can be determined."

Lord Cavewight of GL

Derrick wrote:Test to make sure they aren't on the boat, Boats should be moving way faster than creatures at full speed. We do have both movement speeds, <direction> and slow <direction>. in slow they probably would keep up.
It looks like they are stuck to the side of the boat.

Are they supposed to get on a boat without the plank out?
If that's the case I suppose there's no problem.

poogoblin

Post by poogoblin »

Lord Cavewight of GL wrote:
Derrick wrote:Test to make sure they aren't on the boat, Boats should be moving way faster than creatures at full speed. We do have both movement speeds, <direction> and slow <direction>. in slow they probably would keep up.

My guess is it is probably accurate, as Serpent corpses used to get stuck on the boat all the time.

Lord Cavewight of GL

poogoblin wrote:
Lord Cavewight of GL wrote:

My guess is it is probably accurate, as Serpent corpses used to get stuck on the boat all the time.

It wasnt the corpses causing my problem.

One would be alive following on this one or two tile area and it would get dragged with the boat.

Nevermore

Post by Nevermore »

A screen shot might help us to determine if the live serpents are getting stuck on the boat or not. Boats have always been buggy and not entirely well-implemented, even more so on emulators if I remember correctly. So it may be that they're just being pulled along because it detects them as being on the boat.

Next time it happens try using the "forward right" or "forward left" commands, to see if that helps you lose them.
I'm a chemistry set that makes only firecrackers and smoke bombs.

Lord Cavewight of GL

Hopes this helps.

I was moving Forward Right and this thing was stuck in the same spot as the last one.

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

Thanks for the screenshot. Aye, that one is definitely sitting on the boat railing.
"The text in this article or section may be incoherent or very hard to understand, and should be reworded if the intended meaning can be determined."

sirrayiv

Post by sirrayiv »

The boats on this shard move at a slower speed than they should. This is why the serpents and water elms can keep up with everyone. I have also noticed that multiple players can command the tiller man here, while back in the day, Only the person standing closest to the tillerman could give movement commands successfully.

I also noticed that Sea Serpents continue to harass fishermen reguardless of their skill level, although back in the day, the higher a fisherman's skill level, the fewer times he would fail, thus once he hit GM fishing, he would NEVER pull up Sea Serpents.

All in all, I think the Boat speeds NEED to be increased, and everything else is fine as is.

Duke Jones
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Duke Jones »

sirrayiv wrote: I also noticed that Sea Serpents continue to harass fishermen reguardless of their skill level, although back in the day, the higher a fisherman's skill level, the fewer times he would fail, thus once he hit GM fishing, he would NEVER pull up Sea Serpents.
That's an interesting point... Perhaps this is still a holdover of when you needed to kill serpents for MiBs before it was changed back to fishing up MiBs.

On the Fishing update, GM fishermen needed to be able to fish up serpents to get the MiBs. So a NEVER or RARE fail would not pull up a serpent and get their bottles.

Currently, there's no need to fail for serpents at GM.
"When you remove human error, accuracy, and speed, you remove the human element."