Suggestion. AFK Guard spamming = illegal. Thoughts?

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
Hoots
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Suggestion. AFK Guard spamming = illegal. Thoughts?

Post by Hoots »

Is this worth discussing? When you hear many players complaining about AFK macro issues it typically has to do with the ability to be AFK and still spam guards every 5 seconds.

Without this players would be able to deal with afk'ers in a manner they feel is appropriate for nearly all situations.

AFK'ing could still be done but macro'ers would have to be much more selective about what and where they macro in town.

Im guessing this couldnt be coded and would have to be posted as a rule as apposed to being enforced by the code? The problem with that is it creates opportunity for players to be constantly spamming GM's with macro reports. Would a posted/verbal rule even work in a game like this?

We know macroing on OSI was "illegal" even if it wasnt enforced.

I just wonder if it is worth discussing? Just a suggestion that came to me when reading a string of recent complaints.

I dont feel strongly one way or another about it. I dont think it is a huge problem or anything but i do see how being protected by the guards to do what ever you want in town 24-7 seems very non-t2a-ish.

Thoughts?

Kraarug
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: Suggestion. AFK Guard spamming = illegal. Thoughts?

Post by Kraarug »

I think the macroing of "GUARDS" is spamming and should be illegal.

Saying that, however, if one had a check in their macro of something like

"If HPs < 90 say 'GUARDS, suckka!'"

Then it's perfectly legal :D

archaicsubrosa77
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by archaicsubrosa77 »

Its kind of like putting a table barrier up...a safeguard
I dont care.
Nothing I do is affected by it in anyway. Yet I know alot of poorer players who have nowhere to go might have something to say about that.
Derrick wrote:I wish it were possible that a mount could be whacked while you are riding it, but to the best of my knowedge it is not.

Hoots
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Hoots »

Kraarug wrote:I think the macroing of "GUARDS" is spamming and should be illegal.

heh, hopefully you would be dp'd by then!

Kraarug
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kraarug »

Hoots wrote:
Kraarug wrote:I think the macroing of "GUARDS" is spamming and should be illegal.

heh, hopefully you would be dp'd by then!
Well, that makes it a game now doesn't it? ;)

Duke Jones
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Duke Jones »

I also think guard spam should be illegal.
"When you remove human error, accuracy, and speed, you remove the human element."

Hoots
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Hoots »

archaicsubrosa77 wrote:Its kind of like putting a table barrier up...a safeguard
I dont care.
Nothing I do is affected by it in anyway. Yet I know alot of poorer players who have nowhere to go might have something to say about that.
Yeah, i have thought of this and wont sit here and i say i have never macro'd in town.

Poor or rich, with restocks and such you should never be losing any resources to macroing deaths.

Just time loss.

I think it would fix and improve a couple issues though.

Duke Jones
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Duke Jones »

archaicsubrosa77 wrote:Its kind of like putting a table barrier up...a safeguard
Yet I know alot of poorer players who have nowhere to go might have something to say about that.
I see no reason why a new player can't make money without macroing. It's very possible and easy to do.
"When you remove human error, accuracy, and speed, you remove the human element."

archaicsubrosa77
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

we arent talking crafting...we are talking other skills.
Have you any characters with really boring skills developed?
I mean crafting you can do things...ever tried hiding over and over, stealth, anatomy etc?
You have to admit its a pain.
People don't need to spam Guards, they can do if sys message "attacking" say Guards every 2 seconds or something.
You can either click, and drool over yourself over and over in a zombified state...or you can macro keep an eye on your guy and chat in irc to pass time....
Which you seem to be in irc all the time...how do you craft and chat so much?
Derrick wrote:I wish it were possible that a mount could be whacked while you are riding it, but to the best of my knowedge it is not.

Twiz

Post by Twiz »

I'd call it spamming and consider it illegal.
I don't have a theif, I don't kill other players (unless attacked first), but I do have a tendency to avoid the bank when people are spamming "Guards".

archaicsubrosa77
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Twiz wrote:I'd call it spamming and consider it illegal.
I don't have a theif, I don't kill other players (unless attacked first), but I do have a tendency to avoid the bank when people are spamming "Guards".
You sir have a problem with authority :lol:

Hoots
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Hoots »

archaicsubrosa77 wrote:we arent talking crafting...we are talking other skills.
Have you any characters with really boring skills developed?
I mean crafting you can do things...ever tried hiding over and over, stealth, anatomy etc?
You have to admit its a pain.
People don't need to spam Guards, they can do if sys message "attacking" say Guards every 2 seconds or something.
You can either click, and drool over yourself over and over in a zombified state...or you can macro keep an eye on your guy and chat in irc to pass time....
Which you seem to be in irc all the time...how do you craft and chat so much?
Archaic. This is in no way, shape or form trying to suggest that macroing (in town or out) be deemed illegal. It is looking at the ability for afk macro's to be protected by guards.

Regardless of enforcement, macroing was illegal on OSI. Everyone still macro'd... but it wasnt as obvious as it is here.

Macroing is essential IMHO to a game like this for anyone with time constraints.

Like i said, i just wondered if it was worth discussing (as it is better than doing work today) :D

orionsune
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by orionsune »

What do you think constitutes spamming "guards"? Once every second, every 2 seconds, ever 3 seconds? If your only saying "guards" once every 5 seconds or so, is that spamming? Or how about this, what if the macroer puts in a couple random phrases in between. Is that spamming?

If your chief complaint is simply so you can go kill AFK macroer's, in this case you are no better than the spammer. Why don't you go find a more challenging opponent.

Next thing you know someone is going to start complaining about players using hiding to avoid thieves. Why all of the sudden are these threads coming out of the woodwork anyway? Did someone suddenly become "holier than thou" or something?

I love how hypocritical people are. The very people who are concerned about these so called "should be illegal" activities, once have, or will do something questionable themselves. I promise it, whether you realize it or not.

Duke Jones
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Duke Jones »

orionsune wrote:Next thing you know someone is going to start complaining about players using hiding to avoid thieves. Why all of the sudden are these threads coming out of the woodwork anyway? Did someone suddenly become "holier than thou" or something?

I love how hypocritical people are. The very people who are concerned about these so called "should be illegal" activities, once have, or will do something questionable themselves. I promise it, whether you realize it or not.
I have to stop you right there.

The difference is major. Hiding and afk spamming guards... Nothing alike.

Hiding is a working as intended skill. The other is abusing a system/mechanic in order to prevent risk from not being by the computer. It's bad enough players are too lazy to work on skills themselves, but they also want no risk associated with not being by the computer while they do it.

I say if your not going to be at the computer, either log out, lock yourself in the middle your house, or take the risk. That's how it works.

Twiz

Post by Twiz »

archaicsubrosa77 wrote:
Twiz wrote:I'd call it spamming and consider it illegal.
You sir have a problem with authority :lol:
I do NOT have a problem with authority.
I have a problem with people who out rank me telling me what to do or setting rules/regulations/laws/guidlines (or whatever they want to call them that day) and expecting me to follow them.
Wait. Scratch that. I have a problem with authority.