3 Inaccuracy's I have noticed since my return this year

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
Redrumsback

3 Inaccuracy's I have noticed since my return this year

Post by Redrumsback »

1. Spell Failure when weapon was equip. In T2A your weapon would be auto un-equipped when you targeted your opponent and would not fizzle. This change was made after the T2A ERA and was one of the single reasons true pvp fans quit OSI servers. Why does this exist in our shard? I have read all post on this and have not seen any relevant proof of the existence of this during the T2A Era. Someone please prove me wrong? I noticed there was a small topic with some controversy..... immediately following the small dispute Derrick changed this in game rule. I believe that there was not enough evidence to make a change so quickly based upon previous threads.

2. The murder count system: What was the date that our system of counting murders was implemented in T2A? I could be wrong on this one but does anyone have proof of this?

3. Also mounts fatigued..... This was a part of T2A what i don't agree with is how they recover their stamina.... You used to be able to spam all follow me all stay ect ect too recover the mounts stamina. This was not changed to the horse being fed until after the T2A Era.

Please comment on the following. Keep it clean.

Faust

Re: 3 Inaccuracy's I have noticed since my return this year

Post by Faust »

1. Wrong.

Targeting a spell in the demo with an equipped weapon will fizzle the spell meaning the claim that this was a change made after the t2a era is clearly false. This is just your modern misconception based on fake t2a shard failures when producing accurate behavior that simply use the modern function that was later changed after the t2a era.

Here is the first introduction of auto disarming when targeting a spell.
UOR - http://update.uo.com/design_159.html wrote:Spellbooks
When casting a spell, the spellbook will automatically appear in your hands if it is not there already.
The system will disarm you if you are carrying a weapon and place the spellbook in your hands.
After the spell is complete, the spellbook will remain in your hands.
If at any time during the casting of a spell the spellbook is removed from your hands (either by the player or from a wrestling "disarm" maneuver), the spell is interrupted.
This was quickly modified to be based on actual spell casting instead of targeting in a quick hot fix after the UOR publish went live that same day.
Mini-Update UOR - http://update.uo.com/design_195.html wrote:Casting a spell will immediately disarm characters holding weapons or items, rather than waiting for the spell to be targeted.
A future update to this feature was made when pre-casting was re-introduced here below...
Combat Damage Changes Aug 20 2001 2:34AM CST - http://update.uo.com/design_346.html wrote: Pre-Casting
"Pre-casting" has been re-enabled as follows:
You cannot equip anything while you are casting.
After you cast a spell, it will "time out" after 30 seconds and can no longer target anything. During those 30 seconds, you can now equip a weapon, attack with it without ruining your stored spell. When you release the spell, you will automatically unwield your weapon.
This was never how it worked during the t2a era and is simply a common misconception from the UOR version of pre-casting that many UOR players seem to partake in when hopping on these shards.

Also, my opinion based on this game mechanic is that this feature produces a much more skillful experience in pvp. The later UOR version of this game mechanic was a horribly simplified dumbing down of the game mechanic that only caters to slow minded people.

2. This shard aims to replicate up to the end of the '99 year of the t2a era. The murder system we use is the standard "8 short term count" and "40 long term count" setup. This can be clearly seen in the patch notes of 1999.
Blue PK changes, fishing, and more Mar 28 1999 9:35AM CST - http://wiki.uosecondage.com/index.php?title=1999_Patch_Notes wrote:

Blue PK changes
We are slowly phasing in changes to the reputation system to reduce antisocial behavior. In this update, we have some changes that will push blue PKs to being red.
A new long-term counter will be added that tracks murder counts.
This counter will go up when you are reported for murder, like the current murder count.
This counter will decay at the rate of 1 every 40 hours (the current counter goes down 1 every 8 hours).
While this counter is five or more, you will highlight red, and will be vulnerable to attack.
Stat loss will still depend on the standard murder counter.
Another new counter we term "pingpong" will be added.
This counter increases each time you go red.
If this counter reaches five, you will be permanently red (meaning, you will be attackable. You will not suffer stat loss unless your murder count is also high).
This counter does not decay.
This murder system is described precisely over at the archive '99 Stratics web site too.

3. You are right about this... I wish that old bug would be implemented.

valheru

Post by valheru »

3. Also mounts fatigued..... This was a part of T2A what i don't agree with is how they recover their stamina.... You used to be able to spam all follow me all stay ect ect too recover the mounts stamina. This was not changed to the horse being fed until after the T2A Era.
I thought this only increased loyalty (an obeyed command).

Hemperor
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Hemperor »

I've heard that a horse should only have about 45 seconds worth of running to its stamina anyways

[22:26] <ian> why am i making 3750 empty kegs
[22:27] <ian> 1125000 for 3750 empty kegs
----------------------------------------
[10:44] <ian> a good cat is a dead cat

Werthers Chewbackas

Post by Werthers Chewbackas »

Trained horses, bought from the store, will be able to run longer. NPCs have stats too :D

You were never able to cast a spell with a weapon equipped during T2A. It would say, "You can't cast spells with a weapon equipped." or something close as my memory's never been good for verbatim specifics.

Ping-pong / Timers seems to be what it was back then...

IDK man, does it matter? Shard's fine the way it is now it seems.

BTW, I think that also means weapons never auto-unequipped during T2A. Razor cheaters bewaer.
"And then every single one of my brain cells cried out in joyful unison, that they would be spared further torment at the hands of this %$#$-nut saturated environment."

Faust

Post by Faust »

Hemperor,

Stamina loss from moving was based on the amount of weight your character is holding. This is very apparent on the demo if you tried it out with different weight ratios at very low and high. The more weight you are carrying the faster your stamina would be reduced while moving walking and running. I would have to presume the same held true while on a mount. I don't know if Derrick ever corrected this or not in the scripts but it has been mentioned several times in the past. I don't know if there is any code available in the decompiled demo that we have for this part of the game. It would be nice to implement the correct system if it's available though.

Hemperor
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Hemperor »

I'm loosely quoting Kaivan when I said that, pretty sure he said in the range of 45 seconds when he tested it on the demo.

[22:26] <ian> why am i making 3750 empty kegs
[22:27] <ian> 1125000 for 3750 empty kegs
----------------------------------------
[10:44] <ian> a good cat is a dead cat

Faust

Post by Faust »

Werthers Chewbackas wrote: BTW, I think that also means weapons never auto-unequipped during T2A. Razor cheaters bewaer.
It did for me... :wink:

Mirage
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Mirage »

Faust wrote:
Werthers Chewbackas wrote: BTW, I think that also means weapons never auto-unequipped during T2A. Razor cheaters bewaer.

pwned
Syntax of the Wolfpack (TW) - PVP Since 97'

Werthers Chewbackas

Mirage wrote:
Faust wrote:

pwned
So you can do it today. It's not accurate but I guess there has to be room for flexibility somewhere.

Anyways, that program would have gotten you banned from UO back in the day :wink:
"And then every single one of my brain cells cried out in joyful unison, that they would be spared further torment at the hands of this %$#$-nut saturated environment."

Redrumsback

Post by Redrumsback »

The ST murder system is correct. However there is a long term murder system in place i don't believe is correct. 200 hours to become blue is how i read the rules for this server.......

son
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!
Location: I put an r in it http://my.uosecondage.com/Status/Player/67484

Post by son »

Top 2 are wrong

numero 3 is absolutely correct. With out a doubt. You could not run full sprint from glow ressu/recdu to glow bank without getting off horse and spamming all follow me.

It added an annoying aspect to pvp, and you could often attack the horse when they did this. As it stands Id rather see this than the full sprint s that happens now. Probably all the dex variables for horse etc are wrong.

I wouldnt want these dex variables fd with unless the bug was implemented tho. But if they replicated this bug, they should also replicate hide repair.

This bug made llamas and mares extremely valuable!!
rdash wrote:BLACKFOOT STAY AWAY FROM MY FRIENDS OR MEET A BLADE OF VANQUISH AND ADDITIONAL TACTICS

Werthers Chewbackas

lol :)

Faust

Post by Faust »

I used that UOE from mid '98 well up to my quitting point when UOR was released...

Only morons got banned for using it.

Hicha
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Hicha »

On that note I remember having to feed mounts 1 food at a time to restore stamina; feeding them an entire stack equated to 1 item/stam gain, and wasted food.
"I consider most of you NPC's that inhabit the single player game that I am here to enjoy." - MatronDeWinter