Ghosting. Multiple accounts. Crutch for bad pks?

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
Tronica

Ghosting. Multiple accounts. Crutch for bad pks?

Post by Tronica »

Ok so no big deal, I said I'd put a suggestion up for it, so I am.

A little while ago I was killed by 5 Ace members who gated in right on top of me at LL's at a moment when my life was low and I was midcast.

I died to Ace and it's horde of pvp helpers.

After I died, I saw why. Because they have the spawn ghosted, and knew exactly when to come in.

Now I know that taming is already a crutch for a bad pvper, but it's been like that since t2a as well. I accept that.

And in IRC I had the Ace guys saying how "ghosting is era accurate" "Who doesn't ghost?"

Well I have to disagree, ghosting was really not era accurate. Many people didn't have 2 accs back in t2a days and if they did they were paying for them and probably not just to ghost a spawn. Ace members argued that of course they did, but I honestly don't buy that. I played Baja, Pac, and SP during my uo days, which I quit from in 2002, and I never once was ghosted by anyone, or seen anyone ghosting a spawn for pvp reasons. On here we get free accs, we can abuse this. Bad fielders, and bad pks can use this a crutch to gain an advantage where they didn't have one before. Is it a fair advantage? Does anyone really think so? Are the people who would defend it the same people who need that crutch to score kills?

Just putting it out there. I think it's a retarded tactic that does not add to the feel of t2a and does not help keep a level playing field.

The only way I know to circumvent this is to make a ghost have to "show" to see other players. Meaning at least the player will know he is being watched and set up, and make a choice to stay or not.

Again, no big deal. I died this way, and felt how I felt about it so I put the suggestion up.

RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR

Re: Ghosting. Multiple accounts. Crutch for bad pks?

Post by RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR »

Yeah thats pretty gay, but technical era accuracy will probably thwart your otherwise noble suggestion.
is to make a ghost have to "show" to see other players
Thats how they made it on UOG Divinity.

Teknix
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Teknix »

While people never had an account sitting in some dungeon waiting for people, the system and mechanics did allow for it. If you didn't have multiple accounts, a friend could go in and 'ghost around' looking for people. The downside to that is the group out hunting people would be down 1 person. Now leaving a ghost in the room just to wait for a person to show up IS a crutch for bad pks imo, but what can ya do? PKs are gutless human beings and couldn't care less about your feelings.

ACE will do anything and everything to gain an advantage in situations (i.e. Use of WWs to compensate for lack of skill). They really don't have morals or give a rat's ass about how you feel about their tactics. They honestly just get a rise out of anybody that gets upset at their immature tactics. They suck as 'true' pvp'ing and will do anything to level the playing field, even if that means using cheap tactics to gank the lonely person in a dungeon. There is a laundry list of things that they have done, all of which can easily been seen as cheap or weak. It just highlights how bad they are at fighting fair. They don't fight fair. They are bad pks.

The fact of the is that there will always be something in the T2A era that anybody, not just ACE, will used to their advantage, even though it is cheap tactic.
chumbucket wrote:
GomerPyle wrote:chum RPs a thief
Roleplays?!?

a troll

Post by a troll »

I also played on Siege Perilous, and that's about the only shard where I really ran into it. If you remember them, then [UDL] was a guild that used ghosting a lot.

The thing is, it wasn't really common to have six or seven ghosts spread out in a dungeon. Most people didn't have multiple accounts until back then, and I've honestly run into ghosts in just about every dungeon since I've been here.

MatronDeWinter
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by MatronDeWinter »

I was in UDL on SP!

Teknix
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Teknix »

a troll wrote:The thing is, it wasn't really common to have six or seven ghosts spread out in a dungeon. Most people didn't have multiple accounts until back then, and I've honestly run into ghosts in just about every dungeon since I've been here.
the man speaks the truth
chumbucket wrote:
Roleplays?!?

Tronica

Post by Tronica »

a troll wrote:I also played on Siege Perilous, and that's about the only shard where I really ran into it. If you remember them, then [UDL] was a guild that used ghosting a lot.

The thing is, it wasn't really common to have six or seven ghosts spread out in a dungeon. Most people didn't have multiple accounts until back then, and I've honestly run into ghosts in just about every dungeon since I've been here.

UDL was a well known ass-hole/grief guild, and now that you mention I do remember some of them ghosting on SP. But you also had the recall rules on SP to deal with too. Also a tamer guild too, imagine that, heh.

This is kind of a wierd one since sticking to era accuracy would say make no change, but then you get into the 3 accs thing, and the "feel" of era accuracy. Does it feel like t2a when 6 of 8 pvm hot spots are ghosted by a guild of tamers lying in wait to jump you at the most inopportune time? I'm sure it doesn't for most of us.

I've never been one to need a crutch to enjoy pvp. I enjoy the challenge of a good fight more than the spoils. Not everyone feels the same, but for the players like myself, i'm left with a less enjoyable experience when so many others are willing to do anything to win. Stacking the odds so highly in your own favor that there is no way you can lose is not a way to play a video game, it's almost a way to "cheat" at a video game. And while some kids love that - the rest of us are left feeling ... bored?

Teknix
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Teknix »

Tronica wrote: "feel" of era accuracy...

i'm left with a less enjoyable experience when so many others are willing to do anything to win...

the rest of us are left feeling ... bored?
yeah it's hard to really defend that 'feel' aspect. honestly, i doubt more than .5% of all the people that played on OSI servers had more than 1 account, and even less used their additional account in such ways. that being said, i used all 3 of my accounts to help me get started on this server and i greatly appreciate that fact that we are given that many. being able to use more is pushing it imo

i do agree that others use their 'extra' accounts in malicious ways and somewhat 'cheat the system'

i've found myself getting bored numerous times while playing here, but i've always found ways to entertain myself through doing things i never did during OSI days (exploring or creating character templates i never played) or by giving my time to helping noobs/people on the server (mainly the latter)

i'll say this. people using their accounts in such a fashion (i.e. ghosting to essentially afk patrol a dungeon) is not good for growth on the server.
chumbucket wrote:
Roleplays?!?

Kraarug
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kraarug »

I don't think the problem is multiple accounts... btw, I had 3 accts in '99.

The issue has to do with "Ghost Camping".

Now, I'm all for era accuracy however to act like new exploits are a-ok because there was nothing to stop a new 2009 problem back in 1999 is a little off if you ask me.

So, I'd say that those caught ghost camping simply be asked to leave by staff. If they don’t do it or return transport them some place else. Multiple offenders, on the same account, get some other type of reaction.

All day Sunday my bard was attacked by a PK who just so happened to appear right after the bard would cast EV or a truck load would appear just as the monsters were downed.

Once or twice... I would have chaulked this up to coincidence. 10 times in a row and I knew something was up. Sounds like a fun time huh? Certainly not an exploit of game mechanics on the part of the raiders right?

MustardCat

Post by MustardCat »

I don't think this will be changed to be honest. But couldn't you use a similar tactic? Make a new alt char, get him killed outside the dungeon then run him ahead of your main to check out room for other ghosts? Hell with 15 accounts you could make several and just log them at your favorite dungeons and log them in as needed.

Kraarug
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kraarug »

MustardCat wrote:I don't think this will be changed to be honest. But couldn't you use a similar tactic? Make a new alt char, get him killed outside the dungeon then run him ahead of your main to check out room for other ghosts? Hell with 15 accounts you could make several and just log them at your favorite dungeons and log them in as needed.
Okay.. and if there was a ghost camper (or many more if this tactic becomes more popular) there then what?

Ghost camping provides risk free recon and is basically an exploit of game mechanics.

a troll

Post by a troll »

Tronica wrote:UDL was a well known ass-hole/grief guild, and now that you mention I do remember some of them ghosting on SP.
If I'm remembering this right, I think UDL mostly used ghosting for pre-scouting Deceit/Shame during peak hours. Once in awhile they'd leave a ghost somewhere for a few hours, but it wasn't like it is here where you've got ghosts logged on 24/7 and three guys materialize out of nowhere to mana dump you once you're at 50% of your total health.
Tronica wrote:But you also had the recall rules on SP to deal with too. Also a tamer guild too, imagine that, heh.
Oddly enough, I never minded the recall rule. There are Siege players screaming on other player shards to have recall removed, but to each his own.

I also hated the tamer guilds. I think that having an entire guild of [evil] red tamers (who were surprisingly good at PVP) is exclusively a Siege Perilous thing, and that's something else I never encountered on any other shard. Man, even the [good] tamer guilds were always red.
Tronica wrote:This is kind of a wierd one since sticking to era accuracy would say make no change, but then you get into the 3 accs thing, and the "feel" of era accuracy. Does it feel like t2a when 6 of 8 pvm hot spots are ghosted by a guild of tamers lying in wait to jump you at the most inopportune time? I'm sure it doesn't for most of us.

I've never been one to need a crutch to enjoy pvp. I enjoy the challenge of a good fight more than the spoils. Not everyone feels the same, but for the players like myself, i'm left with a less enjoyable experience when so many others are willing to do anything to win. Stacking the odds so highly in your own favor that there is no way you can lose is not a way to play a video game, it's almost a way to "cheat" at a video game. And while some kids love that - the rest of us are left feeling ... bored?
Wasn't there some sort of policy against "ghosting" for long periods of times? I remember that someone was able to have a few ghosters teleported somewhere or something after they didn't respond to a game master, although this might have been exclusively a boat thing.

Red

Post by Red »

Ghosting is lame IMO.

tekai
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by tekai »

When i played I had 3 accounts, 1 had a crafter and 4 ghosts at major spawn points, i would cycle through them on pvp night where my friends would pk people with me.

sorry man, this is as era accurate as it comes.
[broken image]

Teknix
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Teknix »

tekai wrote:sorry man, this is as era accurate as it comes.

no need to apologize. you're 110% correct. it's accurate. the game mechanics in that era allowed for it, and thus it should be allowed here.

'Fight fire with fire' is all I can add to this discussion at this point :?

Just try and be a step ahead of them and maybe scout with your own ghost(s) to ensure safe hunting.

::edit:: my percentage on how many people actually had 3 accounts or more was a pure estimate
chumbucket wrote:
Roleplays?!?