Bank Checks

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
Kronus

Bank Checks

Post by Kronus »

Okay, I am here to give my two cents on bank checks.

This server is said to be a pre-ren server, and in the true pre-ren gameplay bank checks were not blessed. I'm not saying that a server needs to be dedicated to the expansion or time period in which they say they are by any means. And I know a lot of people dislike this... but it's not like they aren't going to play because of this.

I don't however understand the use of blessed bank checks. Honestly... I don't like it at all. I know in the later life of Ultima Online it did come to be that they were blessed... but why would anyone be playing a Pre-Ren server when there are new-generation LARGE servers out there? Why? Because they enjoyed the old time when UO was at its peak. I know if this was to be implemented; some people would rant about "not being fair". They say that a thieves style of game-play is easy, which is completely irrelevant. If it is so easy, then there should be no reason not to implement this. Its a risk factor... makes your heart pump more and you are more aware of the money you have. Its life. Just think about it... if a tamer can have a Nightmare and a Dragon, why can't a thief be able to steal checks?

I'm just raising up this suggestion because honestly I see no reason why they shouldn't be blessed. If you want the aspects of Game-Play to be even, then bank checks should <b> NOT </b> be blessed.

Thank you for your time, please post thoughts on this.

But remember before you post, even if you aren't a thief, its only fair that all aspects are even.

Rapunzel

Post by Rapunzel »

Couldn't agree with you more Kronus. If people want to trade with checks, they can easily do so by purchasing a player vendor and doing it that way. Besides, that would promote player to player commerce, expanding the economy.

Having blessed bank checks and other deeds being blessed, hinders the Pre-Renaissance experience and throws a more 'UO:R" feel into the gameplay. If checks were no longer blessed, people would have to be careful with there money. Risk has always been a part of Pre-Ren gameplay, so lets keep it that way. Great thread!
-Rapunzel-

bigcheez

Post by bigcheez »

I'm down for unblessed checks.

Kronus

Post by Kronus »

bigcheez wrote:I'm down for unblessed checks.
Hehe simple but sweet=]

ifotwo

Post by ifotwo »

I wasn't aware bank checks WERE blessed? I know house deeds and the like aren't, and bank checks CERTAINLY should not be blessed.

Kronus

Post by Kronus »

ifotwo wrote:I wasn't aware bank checks WERE blessed? I know house deeds and the like aren't, and bank checks CERTAINLY should not be blessed.
Yes... they are blessed. I asked an admin about this as soon as I logged in. And house deeds aren't, but boats are. I don't see the reason for that either. I'd say nothing should be blessed except for handouts in the name of rewards from admins. And runebooks and spellbooks=D

Keathus

Post by Keathus »

House Deed's Are not blessed.

Boats / Checks are for now.

This could and may be changed in the near future.

ifotwo

Post by ifotwo »

Runebooks should not be blessed, as they weren't in t2a. Spellbooks have always been blessed. No deeds, reward/bank check or not, should be blessed.

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

Thanks for bringing this up.

House deeds are Not Blessed. If boat deeds are blessed they shouldn't be, and it will be changed as soon as possible. When you dock your boat, the little boat you get, which is OSI accurate is Not Blessed. The only thing in the game that should be blessed is Spellbooks, Bank Checks and clothing given out by staff members on Very rare occasions.

Bank checks were blessed when they were first introduced during the T2A era. There were never unblessed bank checks in the game during T2A; I cannot speak to what they might have done post UO:R. The checks were brought into the game around the period of the Clean Up Britainia Campaign primarily to reduce house scamming, but also to reduce in game item count. I'm not entirely opposed to getting rid of checks all-together but I don't see the sence in having unblessed checks.

OSI Feb 23 2000: Bank Checks

Another thing that isn't blessed is ship keys and house keys, and you can recall off ship keys.

Also, only because I got a page about it earlier I should mention that No, keyrings are not blessed either.

Runebooks: Not Blessed.

ifotwo

Post by ifotwo »

I'm gunna go with getting rid of bank checks altogether. This shard is based on t2a, namely pre-2000 gameplay. Bank checks were added in 2000, just before uo:r was released.

And if you want to get realistic about it, we're playing a role playing game that takes place in a mideval-type era civilization. You couldn't just hand some guy a piece of paper with a number on it and go tell him to cash it at the bank. There weren't banks. You had to hand over cash or nothing at all.

Rapunzel

Post by Rapunzel »

I would have to say at least keep them, since they were technically t2a.

http://update.uo.com/design_180.html

They provide an easy way to purchase items from other players. Of course, open discussion on rulesets for them, etc... would be great before anything is done in my opinion...
-Rapunzel-